Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 109 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    There are no places legally buying and selling currency higher than the official rate; the blue rate and blue exchange houses (the proper term for these establishments is "cueva") are 100% ILLEGAL yet are allowed to exist and operate (like so many other things in Argentina). The "bond" linked rate you refer to is the "contado con liquidacion" which means you buy bonds in Argentina in pesos that can be cashed in for dollars in the US. The "blue" rate available at cuevas is what you need to reference in terms of what you can get by walking into one of these places with USD cash. This website is a good reference for the current price of the various exchange rates.

http://dolarblue.net
    Thanks very much.

Are these cuevas basically guy on street / back of t-shirt shop informal or are there ones that look like standard exchange houses? (e. G. Walk in secured location similar to a cambio Metropolis)

Been reading up more on Xoom and apparently if extra info / verification is provided can get $6k in 30 days transferred so will be looking into that option as a secondary source in addition to bringing US dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    When I lived in bs. As before, used my US based Citibank account as primary source of drawing pesos, with advantage not paying any withdrawal fees due to my bank status. So other than some dollars brought in for initial apartment rent, did everything in ATM supplied pesos.

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4. 5 official bank rate.

Basically looking to confirm and get additional how-to kinda primer on exchanging cash dollar to pesos now:

As I understand it, there are official cambios. Walk in currency exchange places that provide better than ATM withdrawal but worse than blue dollar rate exchange pegged by blue chip bond swap rates? Or did I read this wrong, not quite sure about this.

Followed by arboletos or highly unofficial individuals giving whatever black market rate of the day that is higher than the cambios and close to or better than bond pegged blue rate?

Read about Xoom so may try it but not really interested in that option at moment. Partly because even cash pickup seems to have couple days delay, and not sure but read various claims only allow $3k / mo which would be far too small. Also not interested in random arboleto, exchanging with guy on corner or back of t-shirt shop just not my thing.

Are there actual walk in cambios that provide close to 6:1? Read here something about western union. Is that WU actually providing exchange services or some random guy that walks into the WU with you?

Somewhat of a consideration is also budget. No matter how great the rate I can't exchange couple hundred bucks at a time. Looking for a reliable, reasonably safe cambio type place I can exchange large sums every day if needed. Basically, ATM version of a cambio place that's higher than bank rate but ok to be lower than blue rate pegged to bonds.

Anything like that exist? I recall a cambio called Metropolis in recoleta next to cafe la biela. Anyone know if they exchange only at bank rates or do they follow the unofficial rates?
    There are no places legally buying and selling currency higher than the official rate; the blue rate and blue exchange houses (the proper term for these establishments is "cueva") are 100% ILLEGAL yet are allowed to exist and operate (like so many other things in Argentina). The "bond" linked rate you refer to is the "contado con liquidacion" which means you buy bonds in Argentina in pesos that can be cashed in for dollars in the US. The "blue" rate available at cuevas is what you need to reference in terms of what you can get by walking into one of these places with USD cash. This website is a good reference for the current price of the various exchange rates.

http://dolarblue.net

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnakeOilSales For This Post:

Correction mode?

Xoom has the rate at 6. 11 this morning. Lower than last weeks 6. 26

Xoom

No I'm not a paid shill for these guys but my experience is different. Every transfer I've done has taken less than 24 hours. I highly recomend the pick up place at Libertad 1057 (I think that's the number, it's between M T de Alvear why Santa Fe). As far as any blue market rate with bank cards I don't know of any. To my understanding you're taking it up the ass on the cambio everytime you stick that card in a machine or use it at a store because you're going to get the "official" rate. With the cap on Xoom I guess it could be part of getting cash and just live with Christina fucking you for the others. If anybody knows a way to get dollars with a bank card at a better rate I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    When I lived in bs. As before, used my US based Citibank account as primary source of drawing pesos, with advantage not paying any withdrawal fees due to my bank status. So other than some dollars brought in for initial apartment rent, did everything in ATM supplied pesos.

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4. 5 official bank rate.

Basically looking to confirm and get additional how-to kinda primer on exchanging cash dollar to pesos now:

As I understand it, there are official cambios. Walk in currency exchange places that provide better than ATM withdrawal but worse than blue dollar rate exchange pegged by blue chip bond swap rates? Or did I read this wrong, not quite sure about this.

Followed by arboletos or highly unofficial individuals giving whatever black market rate of the day that is higher than the cambios and close to or better than bond pegged blue rate?

Read about Xoom so may try it but not really interested in that option at moment. Partly because even cash pickup seems to have couple days delay, and not sure but read various claims only allow $3k / mo which would be far too small. Also not interested in random arboleto, exchanging with guy on corner or back of t-shirt shop just not my thing.

Are there actual walk in cambios that provide close to 6:1? Read here something about western union. Is that WU actually providing exchange services or some random guy that walks into the WU with you?

Somewhat of a consideration is also budget. No matter how great the rate I can't exchange couple hundred bucks at a time. Looking for a reliable, reasonably safe cambio type place I can exchange large sums every day if needed. Basically, ATM version of a cambio place that's higher than bank rate but ok to be lower than blue rate pegged to bonds.

Anything like that exist? I recall a cambio called Metropolis in recoleta next to cafe la biela. Anyone know if they exchange only at bank rates or do they follow the unofficial rates?

Cash exchange primer?

However, reading board here and finding out about the whole blue dollar situation couple weeks ago, there's obviously new dynamic of blue rates and various methods of exchange exceeding the 1:4.5 official bank rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Damman  [View Original Post]
    Heard the Government got involved with the blue market when it it peaked last week. Used *a third party / friend to dump some bucks when it approached seven. Something happened the way it retreated.
    La Nacion supports your statement in this article published today:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1494348-k...r-los-despidos

Heard the Government got involved with the blue market when it it peaked last week. Used *a third party / friend to dump some bucks when it approached seven. Something happened the way it retreated.

Back of the Western union place at Florida why lavalle, ot 6. 2 for 200$ tonight all the way in the back on the right side there is a door go through money booth behind!

Closed

Because I've been talking about this place I took a quick run by it today. Whatever is in the local is different from the fake leather place that used to be there. I'll go back and poke around the Galaria next week and see if he's still there but for the nonce consider it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    I always got a pretty good rate at a cambio in Galeria del Sol. It's at the corner of Florida and Paraguay. If you walk in the Paraguay entrance you will see a little leather shop at the first hallway intersection after you enter a little to the right. Inside should be a pretty fat guy with white hair. Behind a little wooden half wall is where they change the money. I haven't used him in years but back in the day the rates were good and I never got a single fake bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter  [View Original Post]
    I gt 6. 1 for 200$ tonigh on lavalle.

Guy would not budge. I needed pesos for tonih so I took it I betters ATM.
    AP is letting me post today. Lately, there are days where I can log in as many times as I want to, the program thanks me for logging in, but I am still not logged in.

The USD reached the end of a technical pattern late Wednesday / early Thursday and broke down sharply from over 84 to under 83. Because the markets have had a tremendous amount of false breakouts / breakdowns in the markets over the last year, I am still not convinced that the move is real. But for now, the USD has stopped its uptrend.

I gt 6. 1 for 200$ tonigh on lavalle.

Guy would not budge. I needed pesos for tonih so I took it I betters ATM.

My guy

I always got a pretty good rate at a cambio in Galeria del Sol. It's at the corner of Florida and Paraguay. If you walk in the Paraguay entrance you will see a little leather shop at the first hallway intersection after you enter a little to the right. Inside should be a pretty fat guy with white hair. Behind a little wooden half wall is where they change the money. I haven't used him in years but back in the day the rates were good and I never got a single fake bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    6. 10 today at the Cervino cueva, for $500US. This strikes me as little light given the blue rate is just short of 6. 50. I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a better rate elsewhere.

I'll check out the lavalle place maņana

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    6. 10 today at the Cervino cueva, for $500US. This strikes me as little light given the blue rate is just short of 6. 50. I'm going to do a little research and see if I can find a better rate elsewhere.
    Hey BD let us know what you find out. I could always use a little more cash (big grin).

Xoom is still 6. 26, after adding in their fees the place on cervino is pretty close to the same. And it is a very short walk from my apt.

Posting Limitations