Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 114 of 137 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Nestor phone# not working. Updated ph# for exchange?

TL,

Nestor phone# not working. Updated ph# for exchange? Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    A friend of "OURS" on this board received counterfit pesos from the Xoom affiliate here in BA.

Don't know how much or how many $100. 00 peso bills they gave him but an exchange house should know better!

TL.

I'm sticking to Nestor

Call Nestor

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    I have a better deal for you Boys!

Nestor Umere

He is paying $5. 65 today if it's at least a grand.

You call him and he will bring it to your hotel or apartment.

Super Safe to do things this way.

I'm pissed because I only got $5. 30 from him just recently but the dollar keeps jumping!

Nestor 153 517 0377.

Tell him Tejano Libre sent you!

TL
    A friend of "OURS" on this board received counterfit pesos from the Xoom affiliate here in BA.

Don't know how much or how many $100. 00 peso bills they gave him but an exchange house should know better!

TL.

I'm sticking to Nestor

Nestor the Money Man!

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker  [View Original Post]
    Found the place no problem after finding your post. Has a sign "Dollar Euro" and a green awning. I had not gone far enough on Scalabrini this morning. 5.4 today for 5 x $100 bills. No sense changing more at one time if the rate continues to climb.

Equivalent with xoom. Com, including the $15 service fee paying with a bank account, would get you $2684. 85 (5. 3697. 1). Almost the same as the cambio gave today.
    I have a better deal for you Boys!

Nestor Umere

He is paying $5. 65 today if it's at least a grand.

You call him and he will bring it to your hotel or apartment.

Super Safe to do things this way.

I'm pissed because I only got $5. 30 from him just recently but the dollar keeps jumping!

Nestor 153 517 0377.

Tell him Tejano Libre sent you!

TL

Great directions!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Somehow my original post on the casa de cambio on Scalabrini Ortiz got edited but it is the first or second door on the right as you cross Cervino (that should have a tilde) coming from Las Heras towards Libertador. I think it is the 3200 block of S. Ortiz but cross Cervino and there is a discreet little door with frosted glass and a buzzer. If you can't find it based on these directions, go to the corner of Park, Waite, and Hope and hacete una paja.
    Found the place no problem after finding your post. Has a sign "Dollar Euro" and a green awning. I had not gone far enough on Scalabrini this morning. 5.4 today for 5 x $100 bills. No sense changing more at one time if the rate continues to climb.

Equivalent with xoom.com, including the $15 service fee paying with a bank account, would get you $2684.85 (5.3697 - 1). Almost the same as the cambio gave today.
    Last edited by SunSeeker; 06-07-12 at 18:38. Reason: add info

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SunSeeker For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gtbguy  [View Original Post]
    Becareful out there, we've had a number of people that have received fake 50s amd 100s peso notes. Taxi cab drivers can be notorious for this and we even had a fake $50 peso note come from an ATM. Look at them closely!
    Who's "we"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? What does getting fake money from a taxista have to do with the subject of this thread? And what happens if you "look closely" at all the bills you get from an ATM and you think one is fake? What exactly do you plan to do then?

Exchanging Currency

Becareful out there, we've had a number of people that have received fake 50s amd 100s peso notes. Taxi cab drivers can be notorious for this and we even had a fake $50 peso note come from an ATM. Look at them closely!

Reply to Yujin

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin  [View Original Post]
    Given the Argentinean government's restriction on currency exchange from pesos to dollars, I'm wondering if anyone can share their recent experience with currency exchange from peso to US dollar. Are tourists able to exchange their peso to US dollar at local banks before they depart? Is official pre-approval necessary for the currency exchange?

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?
    I did my last two exchanges from dollars to pesos at a bank. Then before I left I went to the same bank (although I don't think that mattered) and gave them pesos and one of the receipts, which was for more than the number of pesos I gave them, and received dollars. But that was a few months ago.

Bob

Venues: 8

A Xoom experience

I just completed a transfer using Xoom. I was very impressed with the simplicity.

I sent $1700 USD, at an exchange rate of 5.63, via the debit card attached to my bank account. The fee was 46.70, which is higher using a debit card (30 would have been a direct bank debit) , but I wanted to try this first. I have since added my bank account to my Xoom account to try it that way next time.

My effective exchange rate including the fees, then, was 5. 48 pesos to the dollar.

I had to fill out a form there in the office, when I went to pick up my money. As I understand it, locally, there is a $5000 ARS limit on how much a recipient can pick up without filling out a form which has both the sender and recipient's information. I filled out both sides since it was me at both ends, and had no problems. I put my same email address in both recipient and sender and nothing was remarked. I signed some receipts and they counted out the money.

There are limits on Xoom transfers. Check the site to get the correct information, under "Help". Easy to find.

I believe that the declaration you fill out here to receive the money is based on the local ARS $5000 limit that was mentioned for More to give out money. But since More is here locally, I don't know that the Xoom forms and the MMT (More) forms serve the same purpose. As I understand it, to raise my limit to send from Xoom, I have to declare other documentation with them.

To send more than Xoom's default limits you need to fill out more information with Xoom. The website gives you telephone numbers to use to contact them to file this additional information. They mention something like an official government-issued I'd (such as a driver's license) to be on file to comply with US regulations. They also say that if you try to send more than the limit, that you will automatically prompted to fill in the required information at the point you send on the website.

It took me about a total of ten minutes to complete the transfer. The girl behind the glass was pleasant and professional. They give you the money in an envelope, but be ready to put it somewhere quickly. But you're only 2/3 block from Santa Fe anyway.

The area's quite safe overall. Technically it is in Retiro (I was surprised, thinking Retiro ended at 9 de Julio until I looked on a barrio map) , but it's effectively part (or outskirts of) Recoleta. It's actually safer than parts of Recoleta where it gets closer to the Villa nearby.

Given the Argentinean government's restriction on currency exchange from pesos to dollars, I'm wondering if anyone can share their recent experience with currency exchange from peso to US dollar. Are tourists able to exchange their peso to US dollar at local banks before they depart? Is official pre-approval necessary for the currency exchange?

The recent attempts to "de-dollarize" the Argentinean economy raises a question for those who permanently reside in Argentina. I'm going to guess that you don't deposit your US dollars or Euros into local banks (or do you?). If not, are you 'squirreling' your dollars under a mattress or do you deposit them into an overseas account?
    I kept my pesos knowing I would be coming back (big grin). Another 4 days!

I tried

I put on my best gringo tourista face and tried this before I left for shits and giggles.

The answer is "NO".

This made me watch my peso count the last few days I was there. In the end I gave one of my long time favoritas a nice tip on my last day, and a bought 120 pesos worth of alphahores, postcards and other touristy shit to make it look like I was actually on vacation and not fucking every hot chica on a whim.

Changing Pesos to Dollars

It is hearsay, but I have heard it from more than one person. An Argentinian citizen now must "prove" (whatever that means) that he got the pesos "legally" before he is allowed to change them to dollars. I do not know about legal residents who carry USA passports, but if you travel to the USA or Europe a lot, I would recommend a foreign bank account with some dollars or euros on deposit. For a tourist (or anyone carrying a foreign passport) to change pesos back to dollars, you need a receipt from a licensed "casa de cambio", and a lot of patience. You will still take a haircut, but it is better than nothing. You should plan your travels to leave the country with very few pesos.

Unless you are going to change dollars to pesos on the "bolsa negro", I advise using plastic and ATMs for most of your transactions. They give you close to the "official" exchange rate at the time of the transaction, and you do not have the hassle of going to a "casa de cambio" to obtain pesos. You should carry an ATM card that rebates ATM fees, and a credit card with no "foreign transaction" fees. If you have a frequent flyer miles credit card, you get miles for your vacation expenditures.

Tres3

Banks in Argentina?

Banks in Argentina are more or less under the control of the government (the law requires them to "invest 50% of their deposits in government bonds etc. Which give the president a lot of say in the way banks operate here. That said I would not advise anyone from keeping more then a few thousand pesos (for day to day use) in ANY bank here. Most people here with money keep a "stash" at home which is why there are so many home invasions and kidnappings. The people with money here, if they are intelligent need to keep a low profile because #1 the banks are thieves #2 the police are worthless (they get paid nothing!) and very often are connected to the crime #3 The law gives minors immunity to do what ever they please. Most crimes are committed by minors although often under the direction of adults. #4 there are too many poor people here that think the rich should support them. A theme that the government tends to underwrite.

Tourists may change their pesos into dollars only if they can show a receipt from a legit "casa de cambio" and then the can only change up to the amount shown on the receipt.

Pesos to US Dollars

411 on XOOM

I completed a test transfer of USD $200 using the XOOM service. I was sufficiently satisfied that I transferred another USD $500. Here is the 411 on my transfer-by the numbers.

I got 5. 6238 pesos to 1 USD. After you apply the xoom service charge, that works out to about 5. 46 pesos to 1 USD.

1. The web address is www.xoom.com.

2. You must have a USA bank account or credit / debit card. (I used a debit card for the test transfer and a bank account for the second transfer) If you do not have a USA bank account or credit card, you need a TRUSTED friend with one.

3. You can pick up the cash at any MORE Money Transfers or Banco Frances location. The MORE locations are akin to Western Union, and I prefer them. You are in and out very quickly. I am told that some Banco Frances locations require an account. You can also have the money transferred to a bank account.

4. The xoom service charge is variable. It goes up with the amount transferred, so there is only the convenience advantage of transferring a large amount.

5. I had no trouble with the authorities. I do not know whether they make random investigations or if their investigations are based on the size of the transfer.

6. Some credit cards have their own fees which can be quite onerous. For example, I carry one card that has no annual fee, but has a currency conversion fee, a cash advance fee, a "foreign" transaction fee, and starts charging interest as soon as a cash transfer is made. I used a debit / ATM card issued by my bank, that is also a Mastercard. For the second transfer I went directly to my bank account because the xoom service charge is lower for a bank account transfer vice a credit / debit card.

7. You have to have TWO different email addresses in order to send money to yourself. Xoom asks for two email addresses (one for the sender and a different one for the receiver) , and they cannot be the same. I use AOL, so this was not a problem. I am pretty sure that hotmail, yahoo, and gmail all accommodate multiple email addresses.

8. You must have an Argentina address and telephone number. I used the apartment I am renting, and it worked just fine. I am sure that you can use a hotel with no problem.

9. I gave the person behind the CAJA window at MORE a slip of paper with the transaction number, the amount of pesos I was expecting and my USA passport. He counted the money and I was out of there. I used the MORE on Libertad in Retiro.

10. The xoom online form has a space for a coupon code, but they also say that they do not accept coupons. I could not find a code that worked and paid the service charge.

Tres3

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter  [View Original Post]
    Key words with Xoom are "US based bank account or credit card".
    Yep that be true. I have a USD account and VISA but not with a US bank and I am out of luck using xoom. Com. Though I can though send money to a friend in the USA via PayPal and have them send me the money via xoom. I'd have to check all the fees to see if it would be worth it though.

What is the daily limit for usd withdrawal in Uruguay?
    Last edited by SunSeeker; 05-30-12 at 00:26. Reason: add to post

Posting Limitations