Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 115 of 137 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Key words with Xoom are "US based bank account or credit card".

That's Excellent but

Quote Originally Posted by Canardly  [View Original Post]
    That's excellent but I live here so how can I send them money?

What happens if I just show up and ask them to exchange dollars?

TL

Xoom offering 5. 63.

https://www.xoom.com/argentina/fees

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    New Law!

http://news.yahoo.com/argentina-more...180240507.html

I can get over 5. 3 at the grocery store!

One of those Asian mini markets.

She has tons of cash ready to go in bundles of 10k.

TL

New Currency Law

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    Earlier this week I went to my two favorite no-name-on-the-door places on Corrientes near Florida with 2k to exchange.

I observed that their street presence is somewhat diminished than it was in the past. The places used to have 2-4 cops standing in front of the door, but no more. At one place the employees were blocking the door and challenging anyone who wanted to enter, and the other's front door was locked and they appeared closed until a guy inside apparently recognized me through the one way glass and opened the door to let me in.

Unfortunately, both places were stuck on 5. 1, so I left.

Congratulations to everyone getting these 5. 2-5. 4 rates.

Thanks,

Jackson
    New Law!

http://news.yahoo.com/argentina-more...180240507.html

I can get over 5. 3 at the grocery store!

One of those Asian mini markets.

She has tons of cash ready to go in bundles of 10k.

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac  [View Original Post]
    Can you be reasonably sure at a place like this that you are not getting fake pesos for your greenbacks?
    I had no problem re fake pesos. I'm sure other mongers who've changed greens here would have posted had they experienced a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Amantelondres  [View Original Post]
    Interestingly I found this to be a good place to exchange greens on my last trip. When the guy asked me how much I wanted to change I said 200. Thousand! I was of course joking but he said with a bit of notice it wouldn't be a problem!
    Can you be reasonably sure at a place like this that you are not getting fake pesos for your greenbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    There is a reliable black market no questions asked exchange place located on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. If you are walking on Arenales toward 9 de Julio, it is on the left hand side halfway between the aforementioned streets. The sign outside says Exchange and Antiques and the phone number is 4813 7978. Their most recent buy / sell spread was $5. 40/$5. 65.
    Interestingly I found this to be a good place to exchange greens on my last trip. When the guy asked me how much I wanted to change I said 200. Thousand! I was of course joking but he said with a bit of notice it wouldn't be a problem!

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Earlier this week I went to my two favorite no-name-on-the-door places on Corrientes near Florida with 2k to exchange.

I observed that their street presence is somewhat diminished than it was in the past. The places used to have 2-4 cops standing in front of the door, but no more. At one place the employees were blocking the door and challenging anyone who wanted to enter, and the other's front door was locked and they appeared closed until a guy inside apparently recognized me through the one way glass and opened the door to let me in.

Unfortunately, both places were stuck on 5.1, so I left.

Congratulations to everyone getting these 5.2-5.4 rates.

Thanks,

Jackson

There is a reliable black market no questions asked exchange place located on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. If you are walking on Arenales toward 9 de Julio, it is on the left hand side halfway between the aforementioned streets. The sign outside says Exchange and Antiques and the phone number is 4813 7978. Their most recent buy / sell spread was $5. 40/$5. 65.

Get a Schwab ATM card, they refund all fees and if you have enough in there there is no forex fee's also.

I tried an old trick yesterday. The AMEX office in retro once upon a time would give you 1000 USD as a chas advance. I was going to try to get the USD and hop on a bus to Palermo to make 120$ in 30 minutes. Unfortunately they are only giving pesos now at the blanco rate.

Received 5. 20 for $ at S Ortiz 5/18.

To think 3 weeks ago I would have jumped up and down saying ATMs are the way to go when you travel. My large investment house broker is now charging 2% at the ATM so really I was at 4. 20 to 1 last Saturday when I arrived. I could swear it was only 1% fee last year. The big banks are broke guys. They recruited too many people from the same schools, slept together, and now their progeny are idiots. IMO it is an extreme negative sign in an economy when everybody goes off system. Between Dickhead's and Gatohunter's advice I am probably getting a go or two for free.
    Last edited by Big Boss Man; 05-18-12 at 13:40. Reason: spelling

Weeeeeeeeee. Weeeeeeeee. Weeeeeeeee.

Like that damn pig commercial. It's on a ride. Jumped to 5. 5 after 4pm.

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/dolar.asp

Somehow my original post on the casa de cambio on Scalabrini Ortiz got edited but it is the first or second door on the right as you cross Cervino (that should have a tilde) coming from Las Heras towards Libertador. I think it is the 3200 block of S. Ortiz but cross Cervino and there is a discreet little door with frosted glass and a buzzer. If you can't find it based on these directions, go to the corner of Park, Waite, and Hope and hacete una paja.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Maybe $5. 86?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man  [View Original Post]
    Supposedly this a flight to safety. Fairly amazing given the US debt load and unwillingness of Americans to raise taxes or cut government spending. I know Government workers who's pension relies on taxes who do not want to pay taxes. It's all magic now.
    As much as $5. 65 to 1 Boys!

If you can find it!

On Lavalle the guy told me :

$5. 15 for less than a grand.

$5. 20 for $1000. 00 to $4999. 00.

$5. 25 for $5000. 00 and up.

That was the carnival barker but if I go straight to the owner there is no commission so it should be higher.

A few of us should pool our resources and get a better deal.

Maybe hit $5.65 .

Say each of us has to exchange 2k or something like that?

TL

All Latin America currencies are falling against the dollar

Supposedly this a flight to safety. Fairly amazing given the US debt load and unwillingness of Americans to raise taxes or cut government spending. I know Government workers who's pension relies on taxes who do not want to pay taxes. It's all magic now.

Posting Limitations