Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 119 of 137 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Exchanging Currency

Since it seems that Argentinians would rather have dollars, does it make any sense to exchange currency except for small amounts for taxis, meals, etc. It seems like the girls would prefer dollars to Argentine pesos? Is this correct? If so, what is the exchange rate they would calculate: 4. 6 to 1; 5 to 1? Please let me know your thoughts. For my trip in April, I'm thinking about bringing dollars in cash with me and using that for all major expenditures. I would only exchange a small amont of money for incidentals. Does this make sense?

Canyon

J. P. Morgan Chase

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky  [View Original Post]
    OK that's what I thought he was talking about, my bank says they'll credit it back to me, they do sort of specialized banking so maybe that's why.

I mean I have my 10, 000, 000 Vietnamese Dong deposited there.

Cheers!
    Actually that's about $980. 00 dollars is'nt it?

Anyway, this is how it works for me :

I am charged $17. 43 pesos per transaction using my Chase USA Card by ANY local BA ATM. For me there is no way around it.

My statement goes to Houston so I never know what they do on that end.

Don't worry about the little things man!

"Just Fuck It" like Nike says!

TL

If you have a US debit card (I think that it is true of credit cards also) any transaction here in pesos will generally incur a foreign currency transaction free.

If I recall correctly the ATM receipt will not show this fee. Your bank or credit card statement may or may not. The last time I did an ATM withdrawal here, several years ago, my bank charged me 1. 5. I've heard that the fee can be as high as 5% (http://www.dailymarkets.com/creditca...ansaction-fee/). When banks say they refund ATM fees they generally, again in my experience, are not including the foreign currency transaction fees. This gets very confusing because when you call a bank's toll free number you are often talking to someone who does not travel abroad and has never heard of the foreign currency transaction fee.

Bob.

Sorry Bob I am not sure to what you are referring. What they said they would credit back to me are the ATM w / the fees charged by the bank in Argentina. From what I've read there is typically a charge in the range of 14. 17 ARS, plus some people's banks charge them as well for using an outside ATM.

Is there another fee as well?

Just trying to figure this one out.

Really?

OK that's what I thought he was talking about, my bank says they'll credit it back to me, they do sort of specialized banking so maybe that's why.

Cheers!
    Is that not like 30 dollars?

Now quit fucking with US!

TL

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    The ATM withdrawal fees are about 17 pesos per transaction and unavoidable for the most part.

TL.

PS. Depends, Citibank will not charge you a fee if you have an account with them in the USA.

Cheers!

Atm fees

Sorry Bob I am not sure to what you are referring. What they said they would credit back to me are the ATM w / the fees charged by the bank in Argentina. From what I've read there is typically a charge in the range of 14. 17 ARS, plus some people's banks charge them as well for using an outside ATM.

The ATM withdrawal fees are about 17 pesos per transaction and unavoidable for the most part.

TL

PS - Depends , Citibank will not charge you a fee if you have an account with them in the USA .

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Did you ask specifically about the foreign currency transaction fee?

Bob

BTW my bank says it will credit me back all ATM fees after I come back, so that's still an option.
    Did you ask specifically about the foreign currency transaction fee?

Bob

Thanks Gandolf.

Banewbie, are you in BA now, and what rate are you getting at the changer on Florida Street? Or I could ask, how are the rates there in general?

BTW my bank says it will credit me back all ATM fees after I come back, so that's still an option.

As I may have mentioned, someone on a travel forum contacted me and said I might get better exchange rates dealing with local friends. It sounds like the difference would be around 10% higher. Not sure if it is worth it though. On the other hand, the ATMs have a daily limit, don't they?

Thanks again you guys, really appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa  [View Original Post]
    I need to change a small amount of dollars at the airport to pay for my cab. I will have a number of bags including my SO, where besides, Global Exchange, do I exchange money? Thanks
    At Banco De La Nacion. They give a decent rate and the best in the airport. When you enter the airport lobby from customs keep bearing to your right and they are right in front of you.

Exchanging Dollars at EZE

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    AVOID GLOBAL EXCHANGE at the Airport!

They are paying $3. 47 to 1 USD!

$4. 50 per Euro!

They say that they offer a 24 hour service and that they are not breaking the law.

It is the first thing you see when you come out of the hallway!

FUCK THEM!

TL
    I need to change a small amount of dollars at the airport to pay for my cab. I will have a number of bags including my SO, where besides, Global Exchange, do I exchange money? Thanks

Changing money

About changing USD for pesos. Are there preferred denominations? Do they mostly deal with 20's and 100's, are they familiar with $50 USD bills? I like 50's, big enough denomination to not take up so much room, yet small enough to be changed or broken.

Just wondering, in the past when I've traveled, I've been told, for example, don't take any torn bills. When I get cash up here, I ask them to just give me the newest version, the one with colors in it. Just to make sure.

I've heard if you know some locals, they may change you at a better rate. Someone on one of the travel forums suggested this to me. Of course I am a little wary of getting counterfeits.

Did I already post about that?
    They will change all denominations. Like you said, no torn, dirty, or marked up bills as many (not all) places will try to discount them. I have not had trouble with older bills, but that might change any day. As always, check your change and double check their math!

About changing USD for pesos. Are there preferred denominations? Do they mostly deal with 20's and 100's, are they familiar with $50 USD bills? I like 50's, big enough denomination to not take up so much room, yet small enough to be changed or broken.

Just wondering, in the past when I've traveled, I've been told, for example, don't take any torn bills. When I get cash up here, I ask them to just give me the newest version, the one with colors in it. Just to make sure.

I've heard if you know some locals, they may change you at a better rate. Someone on one of the travel forums suggested this to me. Of course I am a little wary of getting counterfeits.

Got my 50s changed at the Airport and then at the Money Changer at the Florida street. No issues at all.

Global Exchange at the Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Its true, Argentines want dollars no matter what the cost. The Euro is shakey for long term right now. So its only dollars. I saw signs on Calle Florida yesterday in several stores for $4. 70. Out here in the boondocks where I live they were paying $4. 90 last week and selling at $5. 50! They even asked me if I had more I wanted to sell and that they could give me a slightly better price. I said why should I when the price goes up almost every week!
    AVOID GLOBAL EXCHANGE at the Airport!

They are paying $3. 47 to 1 USD!

$4. 50 per Euro!

They say that they offer a 24 hour service and that they are not breaking the law.

It is the first thing you see when you come out of the hallway!

FUCK THEM!

TL

Posting Limitations