Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 123 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 133 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain  [View Original Post]
    Their are also citibank and few other bank ATM machines at the airport in case you carry a ATM / debit card.
    I am at EZE all the time, when Banco de la Nacion (best exchange at EZE) has a long line (often the line goes out the door) , a good 2nd choice is Banco Piano, reasonable rates, usually no line, and a much better rate than Global Exchange (Avoid at all costs)

If the line is long at the Citibank ATM or the HSBC in terminal A, there is a Banco de la Nacion ATM in departures, usually no line. Beware of high transaction fees and low withdrawal limits.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Buenos Aires Airport Transfers, City Tours and More

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman  [View Original Post]
    Well, in EZE you get one of the best and worst places to exchange money. Banco de Nacion is one of the best, usually within 1 to 2 cents from the best rate available to the public. The worst place is the cambio inside the baggage area. In town, Paris Cambio is where I recommend, but they are closed on Sunday. Spent 10 minutes read through this thread, all the places I mentioned have been discussed repeatedly here.
    Their are also citibank and few other bank ATM machines at the airport in case you carry a ATM / debit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Erizone  [View Original Post]
    I have travelled enough to know that the worst place to change money is at the airport.
    Well, in EZE you get one of the best and worst places to exchange money. Banco de Nacion is one of the best, usually within 1 to 2 cents from the best rate available to the public. The worst place is the cambio inside the baggage area. In town, Paris Cambio is where I recommend, but they are closed on Sunday. Spent 10 minutes read through this thread, all the places I mentioned have been discussed repeatedly here.

Casa de cambio

Hey Fellas,

I have travelled enough to know that the worst place to change money is at the airport. I am looking for Casas de Cambio in BA. Does anyone know of any casa de cambio (Address please) where they ususally give good rates? Also, are they open on Sundays? I am arriving this Sunday morning and I am hoping I can change some money that same day.

Thanks!

Erizone

Citibank used to waive foreign currency transaction fees for cash withdrawals if from a Citibank branch ATM on all accounts but that changed sometime 2009.

Since then, regular accounts pay a 3% foreign currency transaction fee on cash withdrawal and 3% for any debit / credit charge. On your receipt at time of cash withdrawal it's totalled into the conversion. On your bank statement or online report it will break out the total into the exchange part vs the 3% fee.

Status or investment pool tied accounts get a waive on the cash withdrawal 3% foreign currency fee if done at Citibank branch, but debit / credit charge normally gets dinged unless you call to complain. What they do YMMV.

As a side note. Because the ATM machines are placed by some third party company even within the Citibank branches here in Bs. As, it will show as a non-citibank ATM withdrawal even though I use the clearly branded and labelled Citibank ATM machines. I always end up calling every 3 months or so to have customer service wipe out all the non-Citibank ATM charges.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Did you pay a "foreign currency transaction fee"? I think that's listed separately on your bank statement; I. E. You wouldn't see it from the receipt printed at the ATM.

I've heard that some banks are waving it for accounts over six figures, but unless you are one of those lucky guys I'll bet you paid it.

Bob.

Did you pay a "foreign currency transaction fee"? I think that's listed separately on your bank statement; I. E. You wouldn't see it from the receipt printed at the ATM.

I've heard that some banks are waving it for accounts over six figures, but unless you are one of those lucky guys I'll bet you paid it.

Bob.

Been using the ATM card at Citibank ATMs, got exchange rate of 4. 02 after all expenses of local ATM, conversion etc.

Citibank is allowing 2500 pesos in one single draw (about 624 us$)

Also used my credit card in last week in various occasions and got a exchange rate of 4. 03.

Hope this helps newbies in BA.

Been using the ATM card at Citibank ATMs, got exchange rate of 4. 02 after all expenses of local ATM, conversion etc.

Also used my credit card in last week in various occasions and got a exchange rate of 4. 03.

Citibank will allow whatever your personal bank setup is configured and allows for, depending on type of account and status.

Rarely ever need that much of course, but I can and have drawn out equivalent of $1k US per day, per account, with Citibank as that's the limit I've set. Not sure what the top end.

Paris Cambio

For safety's sake I usually carry a colour copy of the page in my passport showing a photo. I've found Paris Cambio accepts this. Other cambios, such as the one near La Biela (Metropolis I think) insist on original documents.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    This place at Av. Santa Fe 840 is mentioned here often. But one bit of info which I don't think I've seen posted here is that it is quite close to the General San Martin stop on the C-line. Only about two blocks away if I recall correctly. So it's good for rainy days.

Today the rate I got for US dollars was 4. 02, a bit better than what their web site says.

There's a sign saying that you need a passport and I was asked for one, but when I said I didn't have it they still made the exchange. However I think that in the future I will have my passport with me when I go there.

When you go in you take a number. But the sign displaying which cashier is available for which ticket number is somewhat hidden by a partition in front of the cashiers, especially once you are sitting down. Worse, it sort of looks like a clock. A single digit (the cashier number) and then two digits (which ticket he is ready for).

Bob

Paris Cambio

This place at Av. Santa Fe 840 is mentioned here often. But one bit of info which I don't think I've seen posted here is that it is quite close to the General San Martin stop on the C-line. Only about two blocks away if I recall correctly. So it's good for rainy days.

Today the rate I got for US dollars was 4. 02, a bit better than what their web site says.

There's a sign saying that you need a passport and I was asked for one, but when I said I didn't have it they still made the exchange. However I think that in the future I will have my passport with me when I go there.

When you go in you take a number. But the sign displaying which cashier is available for which ticket number is somewhat hidden by a partition in front of the cashiers, especially once you are sitting down. Worse, it sort of looks like a clock - a single digit (the cashier number) and then two digits (which ticket he is ready for).

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer  [View Original Post]
    I will be in BsAs for three months starting Jan 15.

In the event I run short on funds over this time period I could withdraw some cash from my USA Paypal account balance IF it were possible.

Has anyone had any luck transfering money from USA Paypal to a bank, cambio or?

I tried to use PayPal once for an apartment deposit but the owner could not figure a way to accept the funds.

I would like to know the best way to scare up some USA based cash if there was an emergency (ie excessive mongering)

Thanks.

Beezer
    Just ask PayPal to give you an ATM card. I have never tried it in BA, but I should work like any other bank card. You enter you pin and withdraw cash in pesos. I once looked into sending money using Paypal from BA to USA, and the fee where very high, was not worth it. Would be cheaper to send it Federal Express.

Any way to utilize Paypal in BsAs?

I will be in BsAs for three months starting Jan 15.

In the event I run short on funds over this time period I could withdraw some cash from my USA Paypal account balance IF it were possible.

Has anyone had any luck transfering money from USA Paypal to a bank, cambio or?

I tried to use PayPal once for an apartment deposit but the owner could not figure a way to accept the funds.

I would like to know the best way to scare up some USA based cash if there was an emergency (ie excessive mongering)

Thanks.

Beezer

Current rates

I just got back from BA two days ago. The going rate varied at the cambios from 3. 90. 3.95. I brought $100 bills to exchange. I didn't quibble over the small difference when I needed the pesos. But once I found a cambio with a better rate, I continued to use that particular one for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond D  [View Original Post]
    I've been going over old reports, and hoping to hear some good news on this: is there any way to get US dollars in BsAs that doesn't involve bringing pesos to a bank / cambio and "buying" the dollars?

I have a Citi ATM card, but haven't heard of anyone successfully pulling greenbacks out of a machine. It looks like I'm going to be renting an apt. From someone who wants US$ so I'm researching this.

Failing that, it looks like the best buy / sell spread is. 04 pesos these days, and a 'thank you' to all who posted the cambio websites.
    Bring the greenbacks with you and if not, head to one of the cambios listed in this thread. I've never heard a reliable report about getting dollars from a machine. An urban myth.

Getting Greenbacks

I've been going over old reports, and hoping to hear some good news on this: is there any way to get US dollars in BsAs that doesn't involve bringing pesos to a bank / cambio and "buying" the dollars?

I have a Citi ATM card, but haven't heard of anyone successfully pulling greenbacks out of a machine. It looks like I'm going to be renting an apt. From someone who wants US$ so I'm researching this.

Failing that, it looks like the best buy / sell spread is. 04 pesos these days, and a 'thank you' to all who posted the cambio websites.

Posting Limitations