Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 125 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

1) I bring mostly 100s because otherwise the wad of bills gets too thick.

2) I don't think that most places give you a better rate for larger amounts. I base the amount on convenience. I do between 200 and 400 depending on anticipated expenses. Smaller amounts are not practical for me because the place I stay is far from the exchange places which give good rates.

3) I bring a debit card and sometimes I use it but only if I am in a real bind. The foreign currency transaction fee really pisses me off so I use a credit or debit card only as a last resort.

Good Luck, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee617
    When exchanging USD cash.

1. What size notes are best to bring from the USA? $20, $50, or $100.

2. What size transaction seems optimal? $100, $200, $400, $600, $800, or.

3. How does this compare to using credit cards or bank debit cards?

I'm thinking of visiting BA for a couple months (during Winter in USA) and am now doing bits and pieces of advance research. For a change, I plan to stay in one place just to live a relaxed life, while studying spanish and doing some light mongering when the mood strikes.

I visited BA (and Uruguay) once before a couple decades ago; that was only for a couple weeks. Since then I've traveled extensively along Brazil's coast, usually 3 weeks at a time (and only 3-4 days in any one place) Now I want to visit the spanish-speaking countries of S. America more thoroughly. My reasons for starting in BA instead of, say, Colombia are:

+ BA seems more cosmopolitan,

+ Current BA prices are the best I've ever seen, and.

+ I have some Argentine friends in BA (young married couple)

All comments welcome. Thanks!

When exchanging USD cash.

1. What size notes are best to bring from the USA? $20, $50, or $100.

2. What size transaction seems optimal? $100, $200, $400, $600, $800, or.

3. How does this compare to using credit cards or bank debit cards?

I'm thinking of visiting BA for a couple months (during Winter in USA) and am now doing bits and pieces of advance research. For a change, I plan to stay in one place just to live a relaxed life, while studying spanish and doing some light mongering when the mood strikes.

I visited BA (and Uruguay) once before a couple decades ago; that was only for a couple weeks. Since then I've traveled extensively along Brazil's coast, usually 3 weeks at a time (and only 3-4 days in any one place) Now I want to visit the spanish-speaking countries of S. America more thoroughly. My reasons for starting in BA instead of, say, Colombia are:

+ BA seems more cosmopolitan,

+ Current BA prices are the best I've ever seen, and.

+ I have some Argentine friends in BA (young married couple)

All comments welcome. Thanks!

Cambio Lorenz

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdglob
    3.905 on Alvear right near the Sheraton. Walked around the neighborhood and was the best rate I saw.
    Used my long-term money changer today. Home delivery.

Rate 3.97. On the sell side, 4.04.

Lot of talk on the radio by the journalists covering the World Cup. They are astounded at how cheap everything is in both Europe and South Africa. And how salubrious the bars and confiterias are. And how clean the sidewalks are of dogshit and how well they are maintained. Travel sometimes can broaden the mind.

Argento

Transamerica

3.905 on Alvear right near the Sheraton. Walked around the neighborhood and was the best rate I saw.

Yes cash is better! However, passport, driver license and one of each credit cards should be put into a safe or a secured place along with the extra money.

Thanks to all that pm'd me or called me. I'm all set for tonight.

I was never in danger of not being able to monger tonight. I am sitting on plenty of Ben Franklins. Worse case Madahos would change them for 3.8.

Cash is better than two ATM cards.

El Alamo

Go see Dave or Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    My bank put a fraud hold on my ATM card because I used it in Paraguay. It will be lifted in the morning, but I am needing mongering funds asap. Best part is I told them I was going to Paraguay.

I have crisp Ben Franklins. Where can I turn these into pesos tonight?

Don't mean to sound mean, GH but I concur 100% with Mr Jackson on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Gato Hunter,

With all due respect, this is right out of Travel 101:

- Always travel with TWO ATM cards from TWO differnet banks on TWO different networks.

- Never rely on just one ATM card, ever. It's your lifeline.

- The same applies to traveling with credit cards. Always travel with TWO credt cards from TWO different banks.

Thanks,

Jackson

Administrator

Venues: 398
    My bank put a fraud hold on my ATM card because I used it in Paraguay. It will be lifted in the morning, but I am needing mongering funds asap. Best part is I told them I was going to Paraguay.

Gato Hunter,

With all due respect, this is right out of Travel 101:

- Always travel with TWO ATM cards from TWO differnet banks on TWO different networks.

- Never rely on just one ATM card, ever. It's your lifeline.

- The same applies to traveling with credit cards. Always travel with TWO credt cards from TWO different banks.

Thanks,

Jackson

Where to cambio on a Sunday night

Santa Fe 2970

NO passport required, no ID, no questions asked, never a line, and the best exchange rate! I got 3.91 last week.

Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.

The sign on the door says: "INFO"

It is a small one room office with two teller windows.

This cambio is next to a large bank.

It was 3.89 this morning at the banco del la nacion at EZE.

3.56 at the ripoff place while waiting for luggage.
    Wow! That's pretty high for the rip off place (Global Exchange) I usually see them around 3.35 or so lately. (I'm at EZE all the time)

Remember for those who want to take advantage of my premium car service, we do exchange USD, etc at bank rates as a courtesy to our valued customers. Just let us know beforehand how much you will need to get your trip started. Our goal is to save you valuable time, it's much better to enjoy your self than to be waiting in a possibly long line at the bank, or having to wait for a tiny, uncomfortable cab that might have an overly aggressive taligating driver who can't speak English.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Affordable Luxury

It was 3.89 this morning at the banco del la nacion at EZE.

3.56 at the ripoff place while waiting for luggage.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Guys,

These are right on the forum's home page:

http://www.dolaraldia.com/
    http://www.dolarpeso.com/

Dolarhoy is my favorite because it gives you a list of the local currency exchange places with their rates, updated several time every day.

http://www.dolarhoy.com

Then select the link labeled "VER COTIZACIONES" and then scroll down the webpage to review the list and updated exchange rates. The best exchange rates for both buying and selling each specific currency are highlighted in purple.

And yes, as stated by Rock, these are the actual exchange rates being offered by those exchange houses, in Buenos Aires, at that time.

Thanks,

Jackson

Merci Beaucoup Rockharders. This is nice.

Posting Limitations