Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 128 of 137 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Paris Cambio ( located at 840, Santa Fe) is a good place to change currency.

Got a rate of 3.82 today as advertised by their website. No surprises, really.

I am not sure if Banco de Nacion offers a better rate than Paris Cambio.

The guy scrutinized my passport and documents more closely than the immigration officer. Kind of made me uncomfortable.

Looked at all the dollar notes a 100 times before finally doing the exchange. All the notes were brand new, unmarked, BTW.

No long waiting. Just walked in and was on it straightaway (at 1715 hrs)

As soon, as I came out, took a cab back home. Not a good idea to start walking with a wad of cash in your pockets.

Saw a couple of suspicious looking chaps hanging very close by. So be a little aware of your surroundings when you exit with a wad of cash.

Thank you to Artysip and Sportsman for the information on this wonderful exchange place.

Suerte.

P.s : One local friend told me that the going rate is 3.89 pesos but I asked where can I get such a rate, she had no answer!

In and Out at Paris Cambio

I went to Paris Cambio today located on Santa Fe between Suipacha and Esmeralda. I was in and out of there in less than 5 minutes. They gave me 3.76 to the dollar. I did have my passport on me.

I can't find the previous post that recommends it but thank you to the forum member who posted.

Thats what brotherly love is all about.

Look closely because some banks do not charge an ATM fee but when you pull pesos, they charge 1% - 3% for a foreign conversion fee.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69
    What is the service charge for changing money?

I guess I am lucky, because my bank does not charge me an ATM fee.
    There is not any service charge.

Service Charges

What is the service charge for changing money?

I guess I am lucky, because my bank does not charge me an ATM fee.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69
    Never change money at any airport! You will always get ripped off!

Use the ATMs at the airport. There were three different banks ATM machines.
    I'm afraid this is not the case for B'sA's only.

When machines were giving away 1.500p / transaction was ok. Now that they only give 300p is a rip off whether it is airport or not. My bank charges me flat rate of 4euros / transaction plus any given hidden percentage in the exchange rate. Not worth it for only 300p.

I take cash with me for B'sA's expenses now and I change a lot at the airport bank. Not the cambio at the luggage area but the bank, I think it is Bank de Nation. It is located just outside the luggage / customs area on the right 180 degrees. They have good best rates there equivalent to city center ones.

I also found that the Paris cambio on the lower Santa Fe ave is having good rates. Better ones someone could get at a cambio on the side street of the Marriott hotel, let's say the extension of Santa Fe past Frorida st on the right.

Sorry Dude. NOT!

Hey WT69,

Hate to diss ya on the board but you're dead wrong on this point regarding the bank at EZE. I usually convert 5 to 9 k everytime I come to BA. I have tried all the different currency exchange vehicles in the past 6 years of coming to argentina. In fact, the worst deals, in my experience, are related to bank card usuage in argentina. It wasn't that way many years ago but today its just crazy to use bank machines in Argentina if you really are interested in getting the best rates. If you want the best exchange rates bring cash and exchange at the bank at the airport. Times are a changing and sadly, bank cards are just a total rip-off if you're concerned with getting the best rate. In fact, years ago both my AMEX and MC were good vehicles for purchasing items abroad. Today, MC charges a fee (percentage) for out of USA purchases (EVEN CANADA) and AMEX just screws you on the exchange rate to get their piece of the action. Suggest ya update your research buddy. Times are a changing.

Happy Mongering All.,

Toymann.

PS. No disrespect WT69 intended. Your comment in most countries is probably spot on! The bank at EZE is just a strange exception to the rule. Check it out the next time you come through, you'll find the rate is market and they have no trouble handling larger transactions.
    Last edited by Toymann; 06-15-09 at 04:15. Reason: comment

Never

Never change money at any airport! You will always get ripped off!

Use the ATMs at the airport. There were three different banks ATM machines.

Quote Originally Posted by BA Luvr
    If you don't need large amounts of cash (and I don't like carrying lots of cash) are the ATMs in town. With a little research beforehand, you can find a bank that doesn't charge more than 1% for foreign exchange transactions. But they do have daily limits and some folks have reported issues getting amounts they want. I've had very few problems getting up to U$D300 equivalent (once, my usual ATM in Village Recoleta was out of money until the next day)
    It ALL depends on the bank in BA and your bank in the USA.

Some will fuck you with surcharges and some will blow them off.

HSBC is NOT the same as the huge outfit out of Hong Kong!

The worst that I have seen is Banco Galicia with a $10.00 DOLLAR transaction fee!

So I've heard!

Just to pull out a few bucks!

I always use LINK but I'm still getting fucked without being kissed!

My advice is for ALL of you to transfer your funds to my Chase Manhatten account in the USA and I will give it back to you here in BA.

Chase Investments. No surcharges. No A. T. M's either!

I was fucked one day without a fucking dime to make an emergency call to the USA!

There are no Chase Banks down here!

Send me your cash and I will pull out the pesos from my matress and I will exchange them at $ 2.80 to $ 1.00.

Whenever your ready!

TL

Another option

If you don't need large amounts of cash (and I don't like carrying lots of cash) are the ATMs in town. With a little research beforehand, you can find a bank that doesn't charge more than 1% for foreign exchange transactions. But they do have daily limits and some folks have reported issues getting amounts they want. I've had very few problems getting up to U$D300 equivalent (once, my usual ATM in Village Recoleta was out of money until the next day)
    Last edited by BA Luvr; 06-14-09 at 01:22. Reason: clarified USD

Toyman, Kevins, if you look to your right as you clear customs Banco de La Nacion has a window on that side just before you leave customs. They usually only have one window open and it never has a line unlike the entrance outside customs. You are both right about the little exchange kiosks inside, a total rip off.

You are talking about the Banco de La Nacion on the left as you come out of customs in the main building and yes you are right it is the best and really only place to change upon arrival but be aware they will be closed if it is a bank holiday.

Airport is best bet but be careful!

I always exchange my money at the airport. Please be very careful and DO NOT use any of the money exchanges until you have completely left security. The exchange counters just before you leave the security area are a total rip off. Once you leave the security area, you will know as you go through the doors into a large open area filled with people waiting to pick up arriving travellors, MAKE AN IMMEDIATE RIGHT and walk around the corner. Just ahead of you tucked in the corner (about 10 meters) is the bank I use to exchange my currency (sorry, can't remember the name) You really can't miss it. I prefer this bank for three reasons.

First, without fail I have found that their rate is either the same or better than any of the exchange options in BA, wether they be banks, exchange offices on florida, ect. Secondly, I have never had any issue with counterfiet bills using this bank. Finally, this bank at the airport has no problem exchanging larger amounts of $$$ without hesitation (the most I have ever exchanged is just over 9k US) The last time I was in recoletta I needed to exchange about 3k US and the damn bank I went to had a limit of 1k US per transaction per day. On my last trip, there had been a long line-up at the airport bank and I was in a hurry to get to town (pussy related of-course) and I hadn't used my normal airport option. I needed to make 3 separate trips to the banks in recoletta to exchange my 3k, and it was just a hassle that I could have avoided. Regardless of the line up, I plan to go back to my old favourite exchange option at the airport when I return later this year. Hope this helps. Happy Mongering All. Toymann

No, don't exchange money prior to arrival. After you clear immigration, collect your bags and pass through the bag check look to your right and there is a bank just before you exit the secured customs area. They have some of the best exchange rates, much better than the little kiosks you pass going to collect your luggage. If you miss it on your way out they have a entrance on the other side of the secured area.

Should I have some money exchanged from here before I arrive at BA?

I don't want to go to get a cab and not have pesos to pay the driver.

What do you all usually do?

Posting Limitations