Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 129 of 137 FirstFirst ... 29 79 119 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Lucky bastard!

Every time a cashier mistaken something has been on their own side.

Good for You!

Quote Originally Posted by Meforu 2000
    I use the cambio place on florida st just across the street from the subte be line, they give me the best rate, allways a few cents more then the rest. Plus its easy and no id required you go in they ask how much your going to change they use a calculator they show you what it would be you take it or you can leave it. It takes just a few minutes no pain. I have been useing them for sevral years and no problems. Once they paid me by mistake the exchange for euros, but I had dollars bot a real good deal hahaha left out like a bandit.

Meforu

I use the cambio place on florida st just across the street from the subte be line, they give me the best rate, allways a few cents more then the rest. Plus its easy and no id required you go in they ask how much your going to change they use a calculator they show you what it would be you take it or you can leave it. It takes just a few minutes no pain. I have been useing them for sevral years and no problems. Once they paid me by mistake the exchange for euros, but I had dollars bot a real good deal hahaha left out like a bandit.

Meforu

Paris Cambio

I have been using Paris Cambio in the last three years because I found they have the best rate and only two blocks from my apartment. The exact address is Sante Fe 840 between Suipacha and Esmeralda. Their website: http://www.pariscambio.com.ar/

Apparently they have another office on Sarmiento 399. There is a picture of their front door showing the exchange rate sign XYC has mentioned.

One thing though, usually they ask for passport / document to excahnge money. There have been a few times when I went there on Saturdays they did not ask for it. They can get busy at times, just take a number and wait. At times there have been may be 12-15 people ahead of me and the wait have be up to half an hour for my turn.

Avoiding the mainstream scammers

I was pissed when I got back to Bsas a few weeks ago.

I had been staying in Rosario and there the exchange was 3.72

So when I saw those bastards at the tourist places offer 3.65 I was pissed, damn you big corporate bloodsuckers.

So anyway, I was looking for a flight back home after two years here I've had enough for now, but will return, anyway the travel agency happened to be on the 800 block of Santa Fe.

Lo and behold I came across an exchange house there, it was called the Paris exchange or soemthing like that.

Anyway, they were paying out 3.73

I forget the exact address or name, but it had one of those red digital little signs, and has the exchange rates on a white board with those little black letters.

The place doubles as a travel agency apparently, it has the business hours on the door, I think it was from 9am-6pm to sell currency. 9am-4pm to buy if I remember correctly.

It's a little bit of a walk away from the north end of florida / plaza General San Martin. But for more money, it's worth it, if you're lazy or tired from walking around, the C line subte Estacion Plaza Gral. San Martin, leaves you a block from it.

Santa Fe 800 block (middle of the block)

Hope this helps.

Xyc
    Last edited by Xyconyx; 06-07-09 at 07:36. Reason: got the wrong times

Quote Originally Posted by Artisttyp
    Do I need to be vigilant about fake bills when exchanging currency here? I will need to do at least one exchange here. Also god forbid one of my bills has a nick or scratch. Do they scrutinize over the bills' appearance?

Thank You.

Artisttyp
    I found a tiny, hidden spot on Lavalle near Florida.

They will pay very near the going rate.

A lot more than the Casas de Cambio where the guys with the annoying voices are squawking!

Seaman and I went there the other day and pulled maybe $3,620.00 when the Cambio houses would have paid maybe $3,250.00?

It was a few months ago.

Very fair and as safe as anywhere else!

I would expect you to get $3.75?

We tried to walk on their low ball offer and they gave in!

The guy told me that I Lost my commission and I said that I did not want one!

Call me!

R

PS - They will NOT accept torn , faded , written-on , cum stained bills !

NOBODY will !

Banco Nacional EZE

Do I need to be vigilant about fake bills when exchanging currency here? I will need to do at least one exchange here. Also god forbid one of my bills has a nick or scratch. Do they scrutinize over the bills' appearance?

Thank You.

Artisttyp

Pick Pockets

I forgot to mention when I was there earlier this month, about a robbery.

I met a couple walking down the street. They had a map in their hands and I asked if they needed help and they said no.

I said to be careful, being Saturday, that the Motorbike Thiefs are running around more on the weekends, because there is only a little traffic on the streets.

They said they just got robbed on San Martin. They were hit with the Mustard Trick.

The pickpockets had gotten the man's wallet out of his pocket and took US$600. From it and replaced it in his pocket. They left the credit cards.

I forgot to asked exactly where, but most likely it was between M. T. Alvear and Paraguay.

I remember that same exchange place has had a lot of problems. There are thiefs watching that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson

As an aside, I can't figure out how preventing people from buying pesos prevents a run on the peso. Wouldn't people buying the peso serve to strengthen it?

Thanks,

Jackson
    There must be something else going on there. Maybe HSBC is just using the government as an excuse and are looking to decrease their currency swapping. I don't think alot of banks are crazy about exchanging one currency for another anyway, and certainly not all of them do it. It can be a pain in the ass, even in good times.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Harders
    The second point here is why is any member of this board bothering going to exchange houses or banks to exchange their USD, Euros, Pound Sterling or other hard currencies? Anyone can send me a PM and they can set up a private, secure exchange appointment with me, night or day, no ID required, no questions asked, all at better rates than any exchange house, bank, or ATM.

Suerte,

Rock Harders
    Hey Rock,

I knew that, but on this particular day I needed to get this done in the morning, and I was pretty sure that it would be a bit early for you. Hell, it was a bit early for me too.

Next time, for sure.

As an aside, I can't figure out how preventing people from buying pesos prevents a run on the peso. Wouldn't people buying the peso serve to strengthen it?

Thanks,

Jackson

Mongers,

First of all, these new money exchange limitations are for real, are not going away, and are designed to prevent a run on the currency. The big exchange houses on Sarmiento will exchange up $1000 USD with a foreign passport. Persons showing DNI's will be forced to prove the source of the funds. My personal strategy has been to go to 4-5 different exchange houses in the same day, with another person, all showing only my passport and saying nothing about holding residency documents. It is a big fucking hassle but it is what it is.

The second point here is why is any member of this board bothering going to exchange houses or banks to exchange their USD, Euros, Pound Sterling or other hard currencies? Anyone can send me a PM and they can set up a private, secure exchange appointment with me, night or day, no ID required, no questions asked, all at better rates than any exchange house, bank, or ATM.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings everyone,

Today I went to a nearby HSBC bank to exchange some USD for pesos to pay some utility bills for my rental apartments. I've been doing this regularly for the past couple of years with no problem. However, this time they advised me that, by order of the Argentine Central Bank, they can now only change currency for persons holding a DNI.

As it happens, in the line next to me there was an American who was simultaneously being turned away after attempting to exchange his pesos for USD, so I caught his attention and we conducted our own exchange.

Has anyone else experienced this new money exchange limitation?

Is this for real, or is this just HSBC's Argentine way of telling me that they don't want to do any more money exchanges?

Is this related to all the other recent money exchange limitations such as Money Exchange houses no longer accepting and cashing wire transfers?

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Bartonsky
    Why would it not always be best to just go to ATM's?
    The ATM withdrawl limit hampers my BA lifestyle. I'll have to visit the ATM everyday and be more selective in my daily extra curricular activities. I visit for a short time, a week or two, so I don't like feeling restricted. Carrying the ATM card on me all the time is a burden for me. Pesos, copy of my passport, and the apartment key is all I have on me while in BA. Oh yeah! And a smile on my face.

Why would it not always be best to just go to ATM's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gipse
    I hate carrying my passport around everytime I need to exchange money. I try to exchange as much money as I need for my trip at one location in one go: at the airport, at a downtown bank, or at the American Express office. The safest place by far, away from the preying eyes of others, is the American Express office. I keep the money in a safe and take out little at a time as needed.

Although I didn't change money this trip (went the ATM route) on prior trips I was able to change money with just a photocopy of my passport.

Changing Money

I hate carrying my passport around everytime I need to exchange money. I try to exchange as much money as I need for my trip at one location in one go: at the airport, at a downtown bank, or at the American Express office. The safest place by far, away from the preying eyes of others, is the American Express office. I keep the money in a safe and take out little at a time as needed.

Posting Limitations