Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 130 of 137 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Changing money.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandalay
    What is generally the most you can change from dollars to pesos at the airport? I'm thinking I might need to exchange $2000 USD to pesos. Would the airport be the place to do this and if so would they really cash that much?
    No trouble with the quantity. They can easily handle U$2000. Unless you are going to spend it immediately, ie. 2 days; don't have that much in pesos. They are bulky and there is a mafia operating out of cambios and banks that will endeavor to intercept you and rob you at gun-point. So don't be obvious with your money and change it as you really need it. Not much difference in the rates and if you are downtown, there are exchanges every block or so. Very competitive.

Be careful and be discreet. Suerte.

Argento

Mongers,

Anyone coming to Argentina with either USD or Euro cash is welcome to contact me as I am able to provide private exchange services with the absolute best rates, better than any ATM machine, FX house, or bank, all with no fees and no ID requirements, all in the safest, most convenient location in town. PM me for details.

Thanks,

Rock Harders

What is generally the most you can change from dollars to pesos at the airport? I'm thinking I might need to exchange $2000 USD to pesos. Would the airport be the place to do this and if so would they really cash that much?

Yeah I need to look into an acct that has that feature. Ideally I would want it in the same acct I take cash out in. I plan on going to Rio also. It would be frustrating if the dollar crumbles by the time I make this trip.

Has anyone heard if this visitors tax in Argentina going through? Man that would suck to drop over $100 before I even make eye contact with a girl

You can buy reals if you have a decent brokerage account that offers that service. Currency trading is like legalized craps! This being said I dabble in it with small amounts since my party poker was taken away!

Otherwise you can buy 10kusd worth of physical hard currency / financial instruments and import it. I am assuming your from the US, if not disregard the above.

The devaluation of the real has me thinking about rio vs BA for my next trip. I have never been, but I like thick asses and big boobs. Plus I want to check out the moonraker scenes at the redemer!

With oil at 50$ the tupi is not economically worth it. Someday it will be just not now.

Buying FX in bank or brokerage acct.

Has anyone from the U. S. Tried to buy FX in their acct. I am planning a trip to South America in the new year. The USD has had a massive rally against almost all currencies but especially the Brazil Real and other S. A. Fx's. I think this is really short term. I want to buy some Reals now before I leave in Feb. So I don't miss this opportunity.

here is a chart. Number of Reals per $

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=U...BRL=X;range=1y

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Msch912
    The posts on not exchanging money at the airport before customs is very helpful. However, I forgot the part that said wait till after you pass the automatic glass doors. There's a bank at luggage retrieval, with a long line. But then when you clear customs there is another bank, as well as remi services. I was shocked to see a rate under 3 at the bank. Only then did I realize you're still in a kind of airport Purgatory and have to pass through the doors to reach the general terminal, with its friendlier bank.
    Once you exit the restricted area and you see all those Remis car drivers holding name signs TURN RIGHT 180 DEGREES and you will see a Banco de la Nacion. They have the best rates there same that you will find in the city.

The posts on not exchanging money at the airport before customs is very helpful. However, I forgot the part that said wait till after you pass the automatic glass doors. There's a bank at luggage retrieval, with a long line. But then when you clear customs there is another bank, as well as remi services. I was shocked to see a rate under 3 at the bank. Only then did I realize you're still in a kind of airport Purgatory and have to pass through the doors to reach the general terminal, with its friendlier bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Last week I went to my favorite exchange house to collect my monthly wire transfer. They advised me that the fee was now 2.5% , up from 1% , specifically because in the past week there was a big increase in demand for USD due to (get this) many Argentinos transferring their funds out of US banks. Apparently the commonly held theory is that many US banks were on the verge of failure and that their funds were in jeopardy of being lost in a bank failure.

A friend of mine went to the same exchange house a few days later for the same purpose as I, and was was on that day charged 6%!

It has been suggested to me that this is the reason why the USD has been strengthening lately, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Thanks,

Jackson
    My guess is that alot of locals are swapping discretionary pesos for dollars. Currencies in South America are getting battered this week and I'm sure the locals are concerned that this battering may continue for some time. I would also guess that if there are alot of dollars coming back to BA from US banks, that that money is finding it's way to the friendly mattress.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    I headed down to Paris Cambio on Sarmiento around noon today to change some pesos to dollars. No dollars available at Paris. There were long lines at the many other Cambios in the area. Not throngs of people, but not too far from that. I am guessing that Paris ran out of dollars before the other places given their attractive rates. A sign of the times.
    Last week I went to my favorite exchange house to collect my monthly wire transfer. They advised me that the fee was now 2.5% , up from 1% , specifically because in the past week there was a big increase in demand for USD due to (get this) many Argentinos transferring their funds out of US banks. Apparently the commonly held theory is that many US banks were on the verge of failure and that their funds were in jeopardy of being lost in a bank failure.

A friend of mine went to the same exchange house a few days later for the same purpose as I, and was was on that day charged 6%!

It has been suggested to me that this is the reason why the USD has been strengthening lately, but I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Thanks,

Jackson

No dollars

I headed down to Paris Cambio on Sarmiento around noon today to change some pesos to dollars. No dollars available at Paris. There were long lines at the many other Cambios in the area. Not throngs of people, but not too far from that. I am guessing that Paris ran out of dollars before the other places given their attractive rates. A sign of the times.

Good News today Oct. 7th: dollar closed 3,20 3,23 www.dolarsi.com

Thanks to the information on this site I found the Banco de la Nacion on my first trip. When I see others exchanging money before customs, I feel like stopping them but I restrain myself.

This time when I exchanged the money I got more pesos than I was expecting. I thought maybe I gave the teller more money than I thought so I put the pesos in my pocket and walked out. Then I realized to check the exchange receipt. Behold the teller had used the wrong exchange rate. Of course I had to give the extra money back - who wants bad karma.

Exchanging money at airport on arrival

It has been said already some time ago and a few posts back, but it is always good to stress it.

After you have gone through the duty free area and enter the baggage claim area, DON'T rush to the exchange kiosk: there rates are between 15% and 20% less favourable than at Banco de la Nacion, located on right side as soon as you exit in the main arrival hall (after sliding doors). This is reason there are always some customers queueing at Banco.

Also, while you wait for your luggage, just read the yellow signs in the middle of the conveyor belts which update you about US$ and EUR exchange rates at Banco de la Nacion, so you can immediately comprare how exchange kiosk and other exchange offices after customs control (DON'T be tempted by them either) are a real RIP OFF.

At that Banco you can also change Reais in case you don't have wasted all of them with "garotas de programa" in Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander
    Don't worry about having a few pesos left when you leave. You can always use them on you next visit. That is. If you ever decide to come back again.
    You can also change them back into usd, euros, reais (and so on) in the airport at the bank kiosk in the check in area.

Posting Limitations