Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 131 of 137 FirstFirst ... 31 81 121 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,965 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Anyone know what the hours are like for Banco National or one of the other banks at the airport? Are they open on the weekends and do they have late hours?

Banco Piano

White Cat,

If you need to change several thousand dollars, you should go to Banco Piano. It's on San Martin near Corrientes. Large sign. You won't miss it. They have the best rate and don't fuck around. When you change larger amounts, you get taken to the back room with the money counting machines. Good place.

Now, if you need larger amounts changed, send me a PM.

Short Rib

Anyone know if the cambio near La Biela is open on Sunday?

You can go and shop for a nice exchange rate at Corrientes between Florida and San Martin. You will find gold shops there with guys standing outside repeating the same word over and over again. "Cambio"

Make sure you check the exchange rates before going there. Normally they will give you a few centavos above the bulk rate which is posted at www.dolarhoy.com .

Shop around and tell them you want to change 500 Euro. The more you want to change, the better exchange rate you get.

Recently I got 3.06 for a $ when the official rate was 3.02. I was changing $2500, so the difference was AR$100. Enough for some fun ;-)
    They will not ask for a passport or any other form of ID, so that makes it also easier..

I did it at the cambio near La Biela, I think its on Quintana. I cashed in two on my last trip. They did not bat an eye.

Large notes?

I'm a relative new visiter to BsAs. Could someone please tell me. Is changing a 500 Euro note a problem? And if not where is the best place to do it:

FYI, among the major banks, Santander Rio and Citibank offer exchange in both directions for non-clients. Santander Rio's rates are better. Today, when the official exchange rate is 3.17, they are buying dollars for 3.14, and selling for 3.21. Citi was buying for 3.11 and selling for 3.24

Where can I buy USD?

I am aware its rather hard to obtain US currency here, unfortunately all I had got sucked into my rental deposit. I just need about $50 USD more.

Checked out 2 or 3 cambios on Florida and in that giant mall down there. Nobody seems to be selling USD, only buying. I'm off to check out the 500 block of Sarmiento now. Hopefully one of you fine gents can point me in the right direction should I return empty handed.

Edit: Mission accomplished.

Metropolis Casa de Cambio S.A.
    Florida 490
    5031-2931
    AR 3.18 : USD 1

Watch your money

4% is 4%. If you spend $3000 in a month, it's $120. That's 4 times at Maipu, 10 dinners at L'Alliance, etc.

And for changing money into US$, why do it? I come back often enough, and it will spend the same when I come back. I'll change a reasonable amount at the airport, and then hit ATM's when needed.

Last week, I withdrew a small amount, a bit over $100. Even with the $1 withdrawal fee, I got 3.122 rate. If I had maxed out the amount to $400 or so, I'd have gotten 3.135 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGekko
    I'm not sure why anyone bothers to exchange US$ at all. I've gotten between AR$3.0 and AR$3.1 all week directly from merchants around Recoleta and Puerto Modero; but maybe it's harder to spend US$ in other neighborhoods?

At 3.0 exchange that's around a 4% cost today, at 3.1 exchange it's less than a 1% exchange cost. And it's a one way cost, because you don't wind up with a bunch of unused pesos to turn back into US$ at the end.

Also, the idea that chicas should only be paid in AR$ is, in my opinion, silly. The ones I've met can multiply and divide by 3 as quickly as anyone else. This is a fluid two currency economy. JMHO.

Why don't you use an ATM?

Quote Originally Posted by BioGekko
    I'm not sure why anyone bothers to exchange US$ at all. I've gotten between AR$3.0 and AR$3.1 all week directly from merchants around Recoleta and Puerto Modero; but maybe it's harder to spend US$ in other neighborhoods?

At 3.0 exchange that's around a 4% cost today, at 3.1 exchange it's less than a 1% exchange cost. And it's a one way cost, because you don't wind up with a bunch of unused pesos to turn back into US$ at the end.

Also, the idea that chicas should only be paid in AR$ is, in my opinion, silly. The ones I've met can multiply and divide by 3 as quickly as anyone else. This is a fluid two currency economy. JMHO.
    Well as you say in your post about Madahos, "I am obviously a well heeled American" and your experience there might tell you something about the downside of using dollars when you're negotiating with chicas, especially if you don't speak reasonable Spanish. Sure the girls can multiply by three, but that's not the point when you insist on using dollars. Its the message it conveys. What it say is. "look I've just arrived, I don't know my way around, I can't be bothered going to a local ATM and drawing out some pesos, because I won't be staying around for long, I'm loaded and don't mind paying top dollar for you tonight."

Don't worry about having a few pesos left when you leave. You can always use them on you next visit. That is. If you ever decide to come back again.

Quote Originally Posted by DosLuna
    Guys,

The exchange rates were all over the place at the airport today. Make sure you get the best rate there by going over to the Banco de Nacion as you exit the luggage area, they are to your right. The rate this morning was $3.12 AR for the US dollar.
    It was 3.13 to the dollar and 4.63 to euro at the Paris cambio today at lower Santa Fe ave.

Make sure you have a passport xerox with you. I forgot and had to go again.

El Greco

Today's exchange rate is $3.12 AR

Guys,

The exchange rates were all over the place at the airport today. Make sure you get the best rate there by going over to the Banco de Nacion as you exit the luggage area, they are to your right. The rate this morning was $3.12 AR for the US dollar.

Currency Exchange and CC Use

Here's an interesting and informative article on this subject. It's a jungle out there!

Old-fashioned cash (preferably in something other than US$) is becoming the way to go.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...3_pucci30.html

Mongers-

El Alamo will exchange currency, anytime, 24/7, without any minimums / maximums or ID required, at the best possible rates, as good or better than any exchange house or bank. This deal is good on US Dollars, Euros, or UK Pounds Sterling. A great way to avoid waiting in lines, going to undesireable locations, paying ATM fees, and dealing with ATM maximums. Just walk in and ask for the owner or manager.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Posting Limitations