Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 132 of 137 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Money changing place with good rates

Recently I have been changing my money at a place which gives me 1c under the current bulk exchange rate. I have checked it a few times, and if DolarHoy told me that the US$ -> AR$ was 3.15, I got 3.14.

No need to bring ID / Passport etc.

The place is located in a mall at Florida street, 800 block.

The name of the place is "Gestoria New Exchange" (Or something like that.)

See the attached pics for more "visual" information. Walk into the mall, till you are at a small "square" (pic 2) look to the left and you will see the place in the corner. (pic 3)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cambio1.jpg‎   cambio2.jpg‎   cambio3.jpg‎  
    Last edited by Seaman; 08-19-07 at 11:53. Reason: The forum software keeps on clipping of my ")" at the end of sentences!!!

As soon as you pick up your bags from the customs x-ray machine, and before you go through any sliding doors, stop and look around. You should see a Banco de la Nation counter on the other side of the room.

I cannot say authoritatively that this counter provides the best rates in town. But I can say that I've always gotten the best rates there compared to the other places I've tried using. Last time I went through it was 3.07 or thereabouts; at the same time, Banco Galicia was only giving me something like 3.02 or 3.03 (and I have a preferred account there).

Paris Cambio

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco

No passport needed. There is always a short waiting time. Too many customers due to their good rates.

El Greco
    I have to second El Greco. They have good rates and long lines if you go at the wrong time. Unlike him, however, I am asked for my passport about half the time. I think the more "foreign" I look, the more likely they are to ask for a passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider
    I did not receive the good exchange stated below at the cambio outside of security near the exit door. Received 2.72p rate while downtown a 3.14p rate was available. Its possible the exchange is better at the exchange booth near the baggage belt, but I cannot confirm this.
    Next time avoid the Cambio booth in the middle of the arrivals area and try the bank a few meters away. I think is a "Banco de la Nacion" branch. Much better rates there.

While in town, for good rates, try "Paris cambio" in the begining of Santa Fe avenue. Avoid it on saturdays. Not such good rates on saturdays.

No passport needed. There is always a short waiting time. Too many customers due to their good rates.

El Greco

You have to go to the bank in the airport to get a good rate. When you come out of the area with the booths after customs, make a right buttonhook and you'll see it.

Poor Exchange at EZE near exit door

I did not receive the good exchange stated below at the cambio outside of security near the exit door. Received 2.72p rate while downtown a 3.14p rate was available. Its possible the exchange is better at the exchange booth near the baggage belt, but I cannot confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
    Anyone who has bothered to read the forum much, will know that you should change money at the airport when you arrive. Open 24 hours, great exchange rate, and you're in and out in only a few minutes. Getting smaller bills is always a good idea.

There are many restaurants and other businesses that will take the dollar at a good rate. I've seen 3.10 and 3.20 in the last days. I also see these good rates, when I don't have any dollars on me.
    I did that when I arrived but I'm here for 25 days. I just do what I need to do at Citibank. Its right by my hotel.

Changing dollars is not always a hassle. I'll try to find the address of the place I used to use in Palermo Verde / Botanico or whatever. Use to walk in without passport or copy, short line and get a good rate on dollars or euros. It's a small place near the corner of Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino, or possibly Segui. I haven't been over that way in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisttyp
    I brought dollars and they are treated like travelers checks. I went to Citibank to cash them and there is a minimum of $200 U$ otherwise they won't change them. You have to bring your passport (yes for cash) and then they diddle with the paperwork. Stand in line etc.
    Anyone who has bothered to read the forum much, will know that you should change money at the airport when you arrive. Open 24 hours, great exchange rate, and you're in and out in only a few minutes. Getting smaller bills is always a good idea.

There are many restaurants and other businesses that will take the dollar at a good rate. I've seen 3.10 and 3.20 in the last days. I also see these good rates, when I don't have any dollars on me.

A copy of your passport will do. I wouldn't be walking around with your original. Too much of a ***** to get it replaced if you get robbed or lose it. I once convinced the guy to use some fake numbers for the passport #.

Your best bet is to change money at the bank at Ezeiza (the real Banco Argentina, not the stand by the luggage rack. It's right by the door as you walk out after you get your bags) You can ask for small bills. I also recommend getting like 50 pesos in 1 peso coins. It will make your life so much easier. Plus you can ask for all the change you want and they always have someone who speaks decent english. Oh yeah and its open 24/7 unlike the regular banks.

Otherwise changing dollars is a hassle. Standing in line, finding a place wtih a decent rate, etc. ATM is the best bet. I've found I got better rates on ATM than on regular money conversions. Only pain in the ass now is finding one that lets you take out more than 550 pesos at a time. Last time could only take out 1000 max. Irritating, but if you can usually have your US bank refund their out-of-network ATM charges.

But for emergencies, Keep some greenbacks.

I brought dollars and they are treated like travelers checks. I went to Citibank to cash them and there is a minimum of $200 U$ otherwise they won't change them. You have to bring your passport (yes for cash) and then they diddle with the paperwork. Stand in line etc.

It would be a good idea to ask for small bills in case of funny money. Its not always possible.

SigPRN,

Welcome to Argentina. Most things that would make sense businesswise don't make sense in Argentina.

It's very difficult to get dollars here. So if you need dollars, bring them with you. Otherwise your ass better hop the ferry to Colonia. You can withdraw pesos from the ATM's at a very good rate though. But some transactions like renting apartments need Greenbacks

I didn't know it was like that. When I went to the Philippines Makati I stayed in a servied apartment, Fraser to be exact and the main Citibank was rite there. So my Citibank was able to just able to do a bank to bank transfer for me no problem. It worked out great. Because if I just needed money I would go there and get it no problem out of the temporary account set up.

Let's assume you were successful in getting Citibank in the USA to help you open an account without a DNI (this presupposes you are very rich, your investment banker has made a direct phone call to one of the big shots of Citibank in Buenos Aires, and you can show you are trying to establish residency in Argentina) you would still have to wait six months before you can directly transfer dollars from the USA to your Citibank account in Argentina. The nearest Citibank from Las Caņitas is on the 1700 block of Avenida Cabildo in Belgrano, about a 5 minute cab ride.

Bad News Signprn-

As Argentina is not a signatory party to the various international banking conventions (meaning they reserve the right to nationalize and / or seize deposits from time to time) Citibank Argentina and Citibank in all other countries are not associated. The only advantage to having a Citi USA account is the free ATM transactions in the Citi banking machines. Although they have the same parent company, operationally, they are completely disassociated.

Sorry,

Dirk Diggler

Posting Limitations