Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 16 of 137 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    The dollar does not get "stronger" or "weaker" against the peso. It is the peso that fluctuates...
    Not when you're looking at the relationship from the point of view where the peso is the centre of your world, ie. You do all your business in pesos! Then, to you, it's the dollar that's going up and down. You're only aware that it's the dollar that's 'relatively stable' if you also compare it to other, third-party currencies.

And your analogy with the guy with a stomach ache doesn't really stand up because there's not any connection between the two men and you wouldn't say the well guy 'got' stronger, but you would say he 'is' stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    I know next to nothing about economics, but my simplistic mind figures that there can't be inflation unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly. So those of us lucky enough to be spending dollars won't be impacted by any inflation.

But what do you guys who do understand economics think?
    There could also be inflation if - for whatever reason - the productive capacity of the economy shrinks, giving a situation with the same amount of money chasing fewer goods.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    I know next to nothing about economics, but my simplistic mind figures that there can't be inflation unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly. So those of us lucky enough to be spending dollars won't be impacted by any inflation.

Bob.
    Here we go again.

As many people tend to do, you're paraphrasing the peso-dollar relationship incorrectly.

You wrote "...unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the dollar will strengthen accordingly."

The dollar does not get "stronger" or "weaker" against the peso. It is the peso that fluctuates (usually down) in value in comparison against the relatively stable dollar.

Your summary would have been more correctly stated as "...unless Macri prints more pesos. And if he does that the peso will weaken accordingly."

If two men are standing side by side, and one of them doubles over with a stomach ache, you don't describe the situation by saying that the other man got stronger.

Thanks,

Jax

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

8% yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Ilstranger  [View Original Post]
    I sure hope for your sake you're right.

Now. Have you looked at your precious " spread " lately?
    Still looking pretty damn good to me.

I sure hope for your sake you're right.

Now. Have you looked at your precious " spread " lately?

Bob.

... Bye bye CFK. Bye bye dollar blue. Hello Macri. Hello " inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet.".

Bob.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AllIWantIsLove For This Post:

Thank you tejanolibre. But. The official exchange rate is now 13.6 and dollar blue is like 13.9-14. Unless I'm exchanging thousands of dollars at a time, it's too much of a hassle and definitely not worth my time For 300 pesos for every thousand dollars I exchange. I spend half of that on the taxi to get to microcentro.

Bye bye CFK. Bye bye dollar blue. Hello Macri. Hello " inflation? You ain't seen nothing yet.".

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    $13.90 today from Victor.

I guess that's better than a sharp stick in the ass but it may depend on the stick.

TL.

He said something about the official being $12.70 but I have not bothered to even check.

No idea what his source is.

But like anything in life you can work it like a car deal or a pussy transaction.

Negotiate!

Not worth my time but it may be worth yours .

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Alo' Cubano.

Corner of Guido and Vicente Lopez.

6ft. 4in. Very Black Cuban.

Well Dressed. You can't miss him.

Has his office right next to Freddo the ice cream place.

Whatsapp - +54911 3868 2766.

14 to 1 yesterday.

TL.

He is there everyday.
    Ahhh yes I have seen them many times, but thought he was paying a crappy rate for some reason never asked him, Thx for the heads up TL .

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki  [View Original Post]
    Hi guys,

I have some French friends in town and need to take them to a cueva to exchange some money in Recoleta ( Pueyrredon and Las Heras ) my guy is on vacation, any pointers will be much appreciated! Please PM me .
    Alo' Cubano.

Corner of Guido and Vicente Lopez.

6ft. 4in. Very Black Cuban.

Well Dressed. You can't miss him.

Has his office right next to Freddo the ice cream place.

Whatsapp - +54911 3868 2766.

14 to 1 yesterday.

TL.

He is there everyday.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Need cueva for friends in town

Hi guys,

I have some French friends in town and need to take them to a cueva to exchange some money in Recoleta ( Pueyrredon and Las Heras ) my guy is on vacation, any pointers will be much appreciated! Please PM me .

Victor the Deserving Cambio Dude

No more dollar blue.
    $13.90 today from Victor.

I guess that's better than a sharp stick in the ass but it may depend on the stick.

TL.

He said something about the official being $12.70 but I have not bothered to even check.

No idea what his source is.

But like anything in life you can work it like a car deal or a pussy transaction.

Negotiate!

Not worth my time but it may be worth yours .

That sounds like wishful thinking. I walked down Florida a week ago and was offered 60 centavos above bank rate. The difference is becoming negligible not the reverse. Macri' s election victory did away with any meaningful dollar blue.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    The spread is only 10% now but it's still there and probably always will be.

Official exchange rate

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    It seems the banks are only giving out 500U$D at a shot unless you meet all sorts of rules. And even then they are running out of dollars and say come back another day. Ive been getting 14 to 1 lately and that might improve in January as people leave for vacations. Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.
    I think as long as they continue the fiction of the "official" exchange rate there will always be a blue rate with a decent spread. 13-1 isn't the number.

Even if they really float the peso there will still be a small one because there is always people trying to stay off book. Those people will always be paying a premium to change black pesos to dollars and as long as they are paying the premium, I will get a little more at the cueva for my dollars.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

The "blue" will stay blue and over and out-

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.
    -as Brazil devaluated 35 - 45 %, this year the demand is 4 Real, nomore 4 usd.

Maybe they expropiate the "K-fortune"...this makes BCRA rich.

Maybe the blue-party is over.

Till Chiquiloft will come back. (maybe in Caracas, la Paz o La Habana).

I hope, we will get back to economy, not low-end speculation en "cuevas".

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    The spread is only 10% now but it's still there and probably always will be.
    It seems the banks are only giving out 500U$D at a shot unless you meet all sorts of rules. And even then they are running out of dollars and say come back another day. Ive been getting 14 to 1 lately and that might improve in January as people leave for vacations. Until they stock up the reserves and the central bank there will be a "Blue" dollar.

Posting Limitations