Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 30 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 80 130 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

November 15 2014

Got 12.60 for the dollar on a Saturday at Florida street.

I must have talked to 15 different people before I found an "arbolito" that seemed reliable but no one would go for more than 12.60.

I hope to have better rates later on the week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BobDylan For This Post:

Greetings,

I will be in BA on Tuesday and I have been there over 15 times over the years, but the currency exchange thing is throwing me a bit. I see various down the alley near the galleria type posts so I was just wondering if anybody had a genuine specific way of transacting some dollars during my two week stay. I know the Florida Street hawker thing so the the last thing I want to get into is a unsafe transaction. I used to be an American Express trader but I think it's like 8 or 9.

Any genuine helpful tips would be most appreciated. Just looking for no drama.

I will be close to Microcenter.

Thanks in advance.

Also I have read many cell phone tips, but can I buy a reasonable price cell phone just for my two week stay and where? I use an international calling card for .10 cent per minute but some of the contacts won't take a non listed number call.

I know this has all been said before but some tip with the latest information would be helpful.

I received 13.40 P today. I was just unlucky to arrive on a day when there was a momentary blip downward.

November 11, 201`4

First day here and I was dismayed to receive 12.45 P at a very reliable previously posted spot. I was going to exchange more but cut it in half. Dolarblue.net is 13.20 as I write 4 hours later.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boss Man For This Post:

Close By the Alvear Palace Hotel

My regular cueva is taking a siesta as AFIP have been nosy lately.

Found a new place today, thanks to a tip from the guy who cut my hair.

It's in a Galeria one block from the Alvear Palace Hotel, in a faux dress shop, really a full time cambio. The lady exchanges over the table, feels nice, private and safe. Local clientele.

I received 13.30. I wasn't too impressed at the time until I got home and saw the blue had tumbled 40c to 13.50 on http://www.dolarblue.net.

That's the low point for the dollar these last two months.

For those who like statistics the Peso ARS is the best performing currency against the US dollar since September 1st., currently appreciating at an annual rate of 131%! LOL.

PM me for location etc.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canardly For This Post:

Money transfer

No Xoom, but looks like RIA to the rescue.

Oh no! No Xoom in Cordoba!

Oh no! No Xoom in Cordoba!

Next!
    Last edited by PirateMorgan; 11-04-14 at 15:35. Reason: not sure if correct

Thanks for substative information.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    I would just wonder why you would bother. Why try and find somebody to get near the blue rate when you can just go to the cambio and get the blue rate. You can do private deals and get a little more (splitting the buy and sell) but that's generally maybe 2% if you're lucky and you have to chase them down, make arrangements, or you can just stick some dollars in your pocket and go to the cambio.

Now if you're talking about doing it in Cordoba then maybe. Changing dollars outside of BsAs can be difficult. Unless they have some wealth most people don't want dollars because they aren't as liquid there as they are here. I can't speak for Cordoba as I've never tried to change there, these comments are based on my experiences in Corrientes.
    This is really what I wanted to know about, which is what is the demand for dollars away from exchange houses and street changers. Are people of means always 'hungry' to get there hands on dollars? I am not trying to pimp the conversion rates, just trying to get a sense of the reality of the markets.

Thank you Daddy Rulz.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Out of about 60 bills you Only received 1 Fake .

That's very good .

The guy that exchanged the money for you may not remember you and even if he does he may not do anything about it .

He might but he will probably tell you that you should have checked All of your bills before you left .

Checking 60 $100 Peso bills in front of 1000's of people is not much fun either .

If you realize that it's Only about $6.50 then it's No big deal .

It happens every once in a while .

Keep the bill so you can recognize Fakes in the future .

Cheap Lesson .

TL.
    Just pass it on to some one else. Thats what I usually do.

Not trying to be a dick or a dickhead

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMorgan  [View Original Post]
    When I asked about people to exchange with...I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?????
    I would just wonder why you would bother. Why try and find somebody to get near the blue rate when you can just go to the cambio and get the blue rate. You can do private deals and get a little more (splitting the buy and sell) but that's generally maybe 2% if you're lucky and you have to chase them down, make arrangements, or you can just stick some dollars in your pocket and go to the cambio.

Now if you're talking about doing it in Cordoba then maybe. Changing dollars outside of BsAs can be difficult. Unless they have some wealth most people don't want dollars because they aren't as liquid there as they are here. I can't speak for Cordoba as I've never tried to change there, these comments are based on my experiences in Corrientes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Hey, if you don't want to listen to someone who lived there for years and saw the paranoia first hand (see my reports from Mendoza from June 2012) when trying to use dollars, then don't listen. I'd rather be a dickhead than a fool.

Cheap Lesson

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11  [View Original Post]
    Like all of you I bring cash and exchange it on Florida street. Over the last several years I can't remember how many times I have done this with no problem. At a flower stand on Florida st with a very large man, OK big fat guy, about ten days ago I exchanged four hundred dollars and one of the one hundred peso bills was a fake. I have been back several times to confront him but he hasn't been three. I will keep you posted.
    Out of about 60 bills you Only received 1 Fake .

That's very good .

The guy that exchanged the money for you may not remember you and even if he does he may not do anything about it .

He might but he will probably tell you that you should have checked All of your bills before you left .

Checking 60 $100 Peso bills in front of 1000's of people is not much fun either .

If you realize that it's Only about $6.50 then it's No big deal .

It happens every once in a while .

Keep the bill so you can recognize Fakes in the future .

Cheap Lesson .

TL.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

One more comment

And why would you do that? You start asking around about that and they are going to think you are a nark working for AFIP.

Well, they don't call you Dickhead for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMorgan  [View Original Post]
    When I asked about people to exchange with. I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?
    And why would you do that? You start asking around about that and they are going to think you are a nark working for AFIP.

Exchanging money privately

When I asked about people to exchange with...I meant is it possible to find just regular people, not money changers, who want your dollars. Ie business people, private stores, etc.?

Posting Limitations