Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 35 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 85 135 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    Well, your first mistake is in assuming that everyone in the world is American!

:-)
    And / or assuming that everyone on this forum is American.

FFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKK everybody. With no assumption as too your nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowpie  [View Original Post]
    I mistakenly thought this board was to help fellow Americans but I guess I was wrong again.
    Well, your first mistake is in assuming that everyone in the world is American!

:-)

Administrator

I mistakenly thought this board was to help fellow Americans but I guess I was wrong again.
    I am helping you, by stopping you from wasting any more of your time.

You're welcome.

Thanks,

Jax.

Why you got the business

Thanks for bursting my bubble why'all.

I was unaware of how the exchanges on the street operate with the blue rate so high, it's been 5 years since I was down there.

Lesson learned the American way apparently.
    You aren't anywhere near the first person to have expressed this idea on this very thread. There was an Aussie guy a while ago that was certain he could resell his pesos back in Australia at the "official" rate. We tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen and just before he left he had a fire sale on pesos. For you this is the first time you have had this conversation. For us it's more like the 10th, hence the shouts of derision, nothing personal.

If this could be done every currency speculator in the world along with every Argie would do it and empty the treasury in a day, not the six months it's going to take as things are going.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Member#3320  [View Original Post]
    Hilarious!
    Thanks for bursting my bubble y'all.

I was unaware of how the exchanges on the street operate with the blue rate so high, it's been 5 years since I was down there.

Lesson learned the American way apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    And to augment Tres3...

I trust that this sufficiently torpedos your aspirations for a financial windfall.

Jax
    Hilarious!

We can Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    And to augment Tres3...

You cannot buy dollars at any official exchange unless you have a specific, written authorization from AFIP (the Argentine IRS).

Since you do not qualify for said authorization (you're not an Argentine citizen or resident, you don't have a provable source of income here in Argentina, you don't have an Argentine bank account, etc.), you cannot buy USD at the official rate from any government authorized entity, including banks, official exchange houses, period.

However, you can buy dollars with pesos at the blue rate at any unofficial money exchange, aka "las cuevas".

I trust that this sufficiently torpedos your aspirations for a financial windfall.

Thanks,

Jax
    Come on down Hedegehog!

We can beat the system.

TL.

Administrator

So based on the rates mentioned:

I can take 1000 USD and get 14,200 peso (hopefully no counterfeit), then turn around and buy back 1000 USD for about 8400 pesos, and have 5800 pesos (or $700 USD) in my pocket?

What am I missing? Or am I right in my thinking.

I'm coming down Oct 29th to Nov 7th. Last time I was there in Nov. 2009 the rate was about 3. 4 to 1 and no blue dollar that I was aware of.

TL not sure if you remember me but I try to get a hold of you.
    And to augment Tres3...

You cannot buy dollars at any official exchange unless you have a specific, written authorization from AFIP (the Argentine IRS).

Since you do not qualify for said authorization (you're not an Argentine citizen or resident, you don't have a provable source of income here in Argentina, you don't have an Argentine bank account, etc.), you cannot buy dollars at the official rate from any government authorized entity, including banks, official exchange houses, period.

You also cannot buy dollars at the official rate from any unofficial money exchange. It's not that they're physically restrained from selling you the dollars at the official rate, it's just that they won't do it because they're not stupid.

However, you can buy dollars with pesos at the blue rate at any unofficial money exchange, aka "las cuevas".

Thanks,

Jax

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

What about the official exchanges located on Florida.
    Jajajajajajaja.

There are no official exchanges since according to Cristina there is no such thing as a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    You are missing the important point that you cannot sell the pesos for anything, much less 8. 40.

Tres3.
    What about the official exchanges located on Florida.

Missing an Important Point

I can take 1000 USD and get 14,200 peso (hopefully no counterfeit), then turn around and buy back 1000 USD for about 8400 pesos, and have 5800 pesos (or $700 USD) in my pocket?

You are missing the important point that you cannot sell the pesos for anything, much less 8. 40.

Tres3.

Blue dollar is around 14.2 official rate is 8. 4

I'm coming down Oct 29th to Nov 7th. Last time I was there in Nov. 2009 the rate was about 3. 4 to 1 and no blue dollar that I was aware of.

TL not sure if you remember me but I try to get a hold of you.

Posting Limitations