Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 36 of 137 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 86 136 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Exchanging Euro for Peso

Dear board members.

Anyone needing to get rid of Pesos and who wants to exchange for Euros at the going blue rate on the 6th of September in BA, please PM me. What's the current "blue" Euro rate?

ThomasGermany.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Yeah, yeah, a lot of you guys go to the Junin Coin Shop near Newport.

A Block away.

My stupid ass, following stupid recommendations on this board sent us to the FAKE COIN SHOP ON JUNIN! YOU KNOW IT AND LOVE IT!

PAID ME 13 TO 1 !

Just PURE LAZYNESS on TL's PART!

Went to Alejandro where I have been telling everybody where to go and he laid down 13.70 !

Paid 14 to 1 yesterday!

No problems!

So the assholes that think that the coin shop pays better are Morons!

It' s VERY probable that the cocksuckers at the coin shop don't know me and don't know what I can do for them, very probable.

If its a few dollars no big deal but the assholes at the coin shop cost us 700 pesos! A nice girl!

So we changed 1000 at 13 and a 1000 at 13.70 so we ended up at 13.35 .

Better than a stick in the ass!

And TL did not make a fucking penny!

Have Fun,

TL
    Hey TL,

With all due respect, you voluntarily went to the coin shop and you voluntarily exhanged your dollars for pesos at the rate he offered.

That doesn't make him an asshole.

Anyway, I know that guy as I've lived in that neighborhood years. He knows his rates are not competitive with the "unofficial" exchanges. As he's explained to me, he's a small time retailer who doesn't have access to the wholesale currency exchange rates. Nevertheless, the retail tourists in Recoleta are only too happy to know a place where they can get any rate better than offered by the official exchanges or from using the ATM's.

The bottom line: He's running a currency exchange for tourists, not locals. If you don't like his rates, then don't buy.

Thanks,

Jax.

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Riina  [View Original Post]
    I wish I had a list of underground cuevas like the post below. Since I don't, can someone provide basic direction of how to locate an underground exchange knowing only that they are located around Florida and LaValle. Would you approach barkers and just go with your gut instinct if you were completely without reference to a specific place? Seems the only real risk is fake currency. Any real risk of getting mugged?
    On Lavalle, between Esmeralda and Maipu there is a restaurant called Acapulco Restaurant. Directly across Lavalle from that is a gallaria that cuts through to Corrientes. On the right, maybe the 3rd or 4th local is a leather shop. There will be a great big guy standing outside and usually a line of people by the door or against the wall across the hall.

Tada!

I wish I had a list of underground cuevas like the post below. Since I don't, can someone provide basic direction of how to locate an underground exchange knowing only that they are located around Florida and LaValle. Would you approach barkers and just go with your gut instinct if you were completely without reference to a specific place? Seems the only real risk is fake currency. Any real risk of getting mugged?

That's Alejandro

Quote Originally Posted by Superman  [View Original Post]
    I got 14 at the luggage store.
    That's Alejandro right next door to La Madelein on the corner of Cordoba and Carlos Pellegrini across the street from X.

Good Guy!

TL.

I got 14 at the luggage store.

Junin Coin Shop Ripped Me OFF

Yeah, yeah, a lot of you guys go to the Junin Coin Shop near Newport.

A Block away.

My stupid ass, following stupid recommendations on this board sent us to the FAKE COIN SHOP ON JUNIN! YOU KNOW IT AND LOVE IT!

PAID ME 13 TO 1 !

Just PURE LAZYNESS on TL's PART!

Went to Alejandro where I have been telling everybody where to go and he laid down 13.70 !

Paid 14 to 1 yesterday!

No problems!

So the assholes that think that the coin shop pays better are Morons!

It' s VERY probable that the cocksuckers at the coin shop don't know me and don't know what I can do for them, very probable.

If its a few dollars no big deal but the assholes at the coin shop cost us 700 pesos! A nice girl!

So we changed 1000 at 13 and a 1000 at 13.70 so we ended up at 13.35 .

Better than a stick in the ass!

And TL did not make a fucking penny!

Have Fun,

TL

Xoom. Com

I Screwed up and didn't bring enough dollars with me.

My best option was to access my bank account back home through xoom.com.

5953 pesos for $500 US+ $24.50 fee.

Net rate 11.5 pesos / dollar.

Not as good as the blue market, but, it served me well in a pinch.

Picked up the pesos on Libertad near Santa Fe.

Devaluation picking up steam.

I have always considered ISG the best source of information about what is happening 'on the ground'. As reported by members. To those of you in Argentina please keep us up on the what is happening 'on the ground'. It seems that another sizeable change in the exchange rates is in progress and I wonder how it is affecting everyday life of expats and local people. It is like watching history happening in front of our eyes. Thanks to all ISG'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    Hey Riina,

I don't think I could have answered your question any more accuractly than with the field research I posted JUST TWO POSTS BELOW YOUR QUESTION.

You're welcome.

Jax
    Sorry, I just learned two Spanish words. Compra and venta.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Riina For This Post:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Riina  [View Original Post]
    If an exchange website shows 14.1 bid and 14.2 offer, what's the bid offer spread in a cueva?
    Hey Riina,

I don't think I could have answered your question any more accuractly than with the field research I posted JUST TWO POSTS BELOW YOUR QUESTION.

You're welcome.

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 6 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion "Dolar Blue Compra" = 13.15

Ambito.com "Informal Compra" = 13.10

Infobae.com "Dolar Libre" = 13.22

DolarBlue.net "Deep Blue Venta" = 13.30

DolarAlDia.com "Dlar BLUE o Dlar Paralelo" = 13.22

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = 13.198

Rate Actually Received = 13.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.12% (x .9888)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    When I left the house dollar blue said the rate was 13.94. When I got down town they were all offering 13.60 and 13.70 on Calle Florida and I thought I was sharp because I was able to get 13.80. But when I got home I see it went up to 14.20. I guess I was not as sharp as I thought I was.
    If an exchange website shows 14.1 bid and 14.2 offer, what's the bid offer spread in a cueva?

Today, Calle Florida

When I left the house dollar blue said the rate was 13.94. When I got down town they were all offering 13.60 and 13.70 on Calle Florida and I thought I was sharp because I was able to get 13.80. But when I got home I see it went up to 14.20. I guess I was not as sharp as I thought I was.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

Administrator

Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 6 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion "Dolar Blue Compra" = 13.15

Ambito.com "Informal Compra" = 13.10

Infobae.com "Dolar Libre" = 13.22

DolarBlue.net "Deep Blue Venta" = 13.30

DolarAlDia.com "Dólar BLUE o Dólar Paralelo" = 13.22

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = 13.198

Rate Actually Received = 13.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.12% (x .9888)

You're welcome.

Jackson

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

Another 3% jump on [URL]Xoom.com[/URL] today

11.1175 P on August 14 compared to 10.775 on August 13,2014.

Posting Limitations