Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 45 of 137 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    DR, once again, hits the nail on the head. I am in violent agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    Because you will pay more, simple as that.
    ...and, if you are just passing through town, your sport-f*cking (thanks for the term, Jax) brethren will have to pay more.

The peso is sliding against the dollar,
    Together with the Ukrainian hryvnia and Venezuelan bolívar, they are about the only currencies losing ground to the dollar...

if you pay her 50 bucks as opposed to 600 pesos, then a week later 50 bucks is 700 pesos, she will still want the 50 bucks.
    They may not all be the sharpest tools in the shed but, if there are two things that almost any chica can differentiate they are sh*t from shinola (or, in this case, plata).

If you try and explain, with full color, multi media graphics...
    The mental image is priceless, standing there in front of my laptop (with my ...pointer) running a chica through a powerpoint presentation on intricacies of relative forex differentials is priceless.

why the 50 bucks is now 700 pesos and you only owe her 45 dollars, she will say "Buenos, dame 700 pesos."
    Yes. I don't recall too many instances with chicas lowering their prices from what they had previously (successfully) charged. They know which (in the most basic, general terms) which is worth more and they are going to stick with it.

Even discussing it brings up a number of issues you don't want to discuss with them.
    The guys here can direct you (you, as in anyone) to safe places to get great exchange rates. The pussy in Bs As is already on "super sale" (and getting better by the week) so, try to maximize your enjoyment while judiciously stretching your dollars.

Let's say you go out for dinner and have a great steak, wine, maybe some kalabasa on the side. You're enjoying the post-meal buzz, as your food starts to digest. Are you really going to enjoy the meal (that you already ate) that much more if you can squeeze another 5%, or so, out of the price? Will that minute savings also compensate for the headache that you'll get trying to get the discount? My advice, enjoy the post-meal buzz and don't cloud your mind pinching pennies.

If they start thinking about how much stuff 50 dollars will buy
    Booyakasha!

You might not realize it but, when you've got her ankles up around your ears, she is deep in thought about sophisticated micro and macro economic principles (or she might be fantasizing about the last time I called on her). In economics, this is known as the "basket of commodities" that can be purchased with a unit of currency. Keynesian douche-bags (*like those in control of Argentina's (and the USA's, for that matter) economy) are allergic to commodity baskets because they show the true underlying evil of all of their policies: they are making your money worth less, each day, so, in the future, the exact same amount of currency will buy less of the same commodities.

Chicas are doing similar calculus. Let's say you pay a chica $50 for rocking your world. She knows what $50 buys at that particular moment. The next time, she will want to price her pussy at the amount of currency needed to purchase that same bucket of commodities, regardless of what has happened to that underlying currency. I believe that is called inflation-indexed-poonanie. Next to golden-pussy, it is one of the best hedges against inflation...provided that there are sufficient gringos in the local market to pay those prices.

and if they get any kind of inkling as too how little 50 bucks represents to you or I when looking at the relative purchasing power between the two economies, the price goes up, way the fuck up.
    The per capital income for Argentina is about $12k. The fact that many mongers spend more than that on hobbying probably doesn't need to come up in the conversation. On the other hand, you don't want to be demeaning (unless you're into that, I guess) by telling her that you spend more on toilet paper than you are willing to spend on her.

It's difficult for people who don't live here to understand the extent to which the AMOUNT you're able to pay influences the price that they will charge you.
    I understand, I have "gringo" tattooed on my forehead.

There are so many subsidies on soooooo many different things that the idea of valuation here is really fucked up. At the parilla up the street from the house I can buy a grilled chicken breast, green salad and bottle of water for about 60 P. Then I will go to Exedra after dinner and pay 27 pesos for a cup of coffee. That would be like going to a resto in the states and paying 25 bucks for a meal, then going to Starbucks and paying nearly 12 dollars for a coffee.
    DR, fantastic point (among many). The reality of what things are "worth" is derived from the perception of what they are worth. If you get something for "free" (or in this case get over paid for something - by local standards) you will 1) come to expect it and 2) place lesser and lesser value on that "freebie" as time passes. So while she'll still go for a roll in the sheets for $50, hasta al fin and completo may soon require a propina.

Argentines as a whole don't think of transactions in terms of market price and value of the good or service being sold, they PRIMARILY think in terms of your ability to pay.
    You are so correct. DR is not saying this only in regard to chicas. This is true of Argentines in all businesses and services on up to lawyers, accountants and politicians (wait, we already covered whores). I can guarantee you that my attorneys and accountants charge me more than they charge local clients because that tattoo on my forehead (and the 11k mile round trips to do business) makes them think that I can afford to pay more than they can.

If you ever meet Jax ask him about the time he wanted to buy a mirror for his apartment some day. That story illustrates this principle about as good as any.

Or I could just tell you, "trust me, I live here, I've most likely forgotten the names of more hookers here than you will ever bang and paying, or even discussing, dollars with girls is a bad idea." Then you could say to yourself, "cool, he knows what he's talking about, I think I'll believe him." And at the end of the week, bang one more hooker with the money you saved.".
    This last part is spot on. If you are new to Bs As, stick to the basics and maximize your pleasure. I found AP a month or two before my first (of about 30) trip to Bs As. I have never been steered wrong (when it comes to Bs As and hobbying) by AP and the senior guys who live in Bs As have made it an absolute cakewalk for visitors to enjoy the splendors of Bs As with little to no effort.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wild Walleye For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    For a good source of maps and finding your way around, I suggest buying a cheap GPS from eBay with an Argentina map as an option. BA changes very little, so the map is almost always current. You can look up an address, carry it with you, and the charger is dual voltage. If you have a cell phone, you can probably use the same charger and will need to buy only one outlet adapter. It takes about 10 days for the mail to deliver from China to the USA. It should cost less than $50.

Tres3.
    My Nokia Lumina has "Nokia Maps" and I can get any map, anywhere free. If you have a Nokia (purchased in the USA) and it doesn't show Nokia Maps pre-installed, it is "there" but hiding (ATT and the like hide the free Nokia apps because they are free and better than the ATT apps). You can find the trick to unlocking them, online. For me, there aren't any data charges with Nokia Maps (as far as I can tell) although, the device uses both satellite (GPS) and cellular TDA (time distance of arrival) to determine location. Most smartphones can get Argie maps / apps free or use google maps but, look out for the data charges. I also do not use my #1 phone (personal & business) for hobbying. When I am places that I probably shouldn't be, I prefer to have the GPS transponder in my #1 phone turned off. I have a couple little Garmin GPS devices and have toted one around once or twice but, when I am in Bs As, I already have two phones in my pockets, I don't want another device.

My advice is to do it the old fashioned way. Grab the touristas golden map Click image for larger version

Name:	goldenmap.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	28969 and a pen and have at it. I still have my very first Golden Map, right here in my office with all my (encoded) notations on it...

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño Today (Mon. Feb. 24) around 12 noon 11.3 per US Dollar

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño Today (Mon. Feb. 24) around 12 noon 11.3 per US Dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    And at the end of the week, bang one more hooker with the money you saved.".
    Or perhaps two or even three hookers.

Took a friend of mine to Hippo last Saturday. He got interested in taking out a dancer, so we called her over to dicuss details. (Note: A drink for a dancer at Hippo today is 600 P!

My friend asks her the fees and the bi*ch says "US $ 500". We say NOOOO! And then she says "Okay 400, not any less.".

My good friend took my advice and chased away this chica whose tiny brain could think only of US $ when she was talking with foreigners. We moved on to Newport, then to Hook. He ended up taking back to his hotel a Paraguaya who had the minimal common sense of talking in Pesos of a fee far less than half of what he was first quoted at Hippo.

She looked just as good as the Hippo dancer and I'm sure her performance was better than what the dancer would have provided.

It's kind of complicated and simple at the same time like most things here

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTea  [View Original Post]
    Why never ever?
    Because you will pay more, simple as that. The peso is sliding against the dollar, if you pay her 50 bucks as opposed to 600 pesos, then a week later 50 bucks is 700 pesos, she will still want the 50 bucks. If you try and explain, with full color, multi media graphics why the 50 bucks is now 700 pesos and you only owe her 45 dollars, she will say "Buenos, dame 700 pesos." Even discussing it brings up a number of issues you don't want to discuss with them. If they start thinking about how much stuff 50 dollars will buy and if they get any kind of inkling as too how little 50 bucks represents to you or I when looking at the relative purchasing power between the two economies, the price goes up, way the fuck up. It's difficult for people who don't live here to understand the extent to which the AMOUNT you're able to pay influences the price that they will charge you. There are so many subsidies on soooooo many different things that the idea of valuation here is really fucked up. At the parilla up the street from the house I can buy a grilled chicken breast, green salad and bottle of water for about 60 P. Then I will go to Exedra after dinner and pay 27 pesos for a cup of coffee. That would be like going to a resto in the states and paying 25 bucks for a meal, then going to Starbucks and paying nearly 12 dollars for a coffee. Argentines as a whole don't think of transactions in terms of market price and value of the good or service being sold, they PRIMARILY think in terms of your ability to pay. If you ever meet Jax ask him about the time he wanted to buy a mirror for his apartment some day. That story illustrates this principle about as good as any.

Or I could just tell you, "trust me, I live here, I've most likely forgotten the names of more hookers here than you will ever bang and paying, or even discussing, dollars with girls is a bad idea." Then you could say to yourself, "cool, he knows what he's talking about, I think I'll believe him." And at the end of the week, bang one more hooker with the money you saved.".

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Never, ever pay a chica with USD
    Why never ever?

Maps of BA

For a good source of maps and finding your way around, I suggest buying a cheap GPS from eBay with an Argentina map as an option. BA changes very little, so the map is almost always current. You can look up an address, carry it with you, and the charger is dual voltage. If you have a cell phone, you can probably use the same charger and will need to buy only one outlet adapter. It takes about 10 days for the mail to deliver from China to the USA. It should cost less than $50.

Tres3.

Credit and ATM Cards

I originally posted this on another thread in response to a monger's post, but probably should have posted it on this thread.

If I absolutely have to use plastic, I try to get cash from an ATM and the pay for my consumption with cash. Hotels and restaurants usually give a less favorable exchange rate than banks or licensed money changers. The bank will probably cover a fraud loss if you use plastic, but there is still the hassle of notifying people on auto pay or merchants who have recorded the card number that you have a new account number and expiration date. Most credit cards have a "foreign transaction" fee in addition to an exchange rate fee, while most ATM cards only charge an exchange rate fee. There are a few ATM cards, such as Schwab, that have no ATM fees and no exchange rate fees. If the country you are visiting has a safe black market, use the ATM to exchange only enough to get you to a safe USD cash money changer. If it is difficult or impossible to change the local currency back to USD, change only a small amount at a time. Take enough USD cash for your trip consumption. If you did not bring enough USD cash to cover your trip, and the country has exchange controls (ex: Argentina) use a transfer service such as ZOOM to get the extra money you need. You will take a haircut over the black market rate, but will receive better than the "official" rate. Use the hotel or apartment safe and a money belt. Only carry enough local currency cash, especially if you are going to drink, that you can afford to lose, and try to pay all taxis, especially at night, the exact change, with small bills. Do not let the small head do the thinking normally done by the large head.

Never, ever pay a chica with USD.

Tres3.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276  [View Original Post]
    Herald article: Easy read that simplifies what is going on.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...id-stagflation
    Damn Thomaso276, you call that an "easy read"?

Anyway, here's the punch line...

as long as the fiscal deficit continues to grow and no financing from abroad is available, monetary expansion will continue to put pressure on the exchange rate and prices.
    Although the final sentence is also noteworthy...

Populist rhetoric notwithstanding, it appears that the government will sacrifice growth to avoid a further drain of dollars from the Central Bank, and a coherent, sustainable, long-term development programme is nowhere in sight.
    So, nothing new, nothing changed, its more of the same old "government stumbling around in a dark room" style of management by Christina, the world's second least qualified president to be elected by LIVs in this century.

Of course, the century is young, and before it's over I'm sure the world's LIVs will elect more "community organizers" to public offices to which they are woefully unqualified to occupy.

Thanks,

Jax.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

This sums it up

Herald article: Easy read that simplifies what is going on.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...id-stagflation

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomaso276 For This Post:

Rate at 11:00 am

Failed to find 'Western Union' at Florida & Lavalle so I approached & got 11.60 for 300 USD from Barbara Cambio. Female hawker in the 100 or 200 block of Florida. Did not try to bargain.

Don't know if bargaining might have helped with such a small amount.

11.90 at "Western Union" at Lavalle and Florida earlier, but it's definitely gone up again since then. Have heard of at least two people getting 12.00.

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño Today (Mon. Feb. 10) around 10:30am 11.8 per US Dollar

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviño Today (Mon. Feb. 10) around 10:30 am 11.8 per US Dollar.

Duty Free at Airport

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFalcon  [View Original Post]
    Spend your excess Pesos at the duty free on the way out of EZE. They exchange at the official rate.instant+/-40% discount on stuff.
    Another advantage of duty free at the airport, assuming you have some use for what you buy, is that you do not pay the Argentina VAT on your purchases. Be careful about liquids. If you are connecting beyond your USA gateway, you cannot carry-on liquids on the domestic flight. You must put the liquids in your checked luggage after clearing customs, and before rechecking it. Hope the bottles do not break before reaching your final destination. From experience, a broken bottle in your suitcase can ruin the entire day. That is the only way, other than a friendly AP monger, that I know of that the "average" person can receive the official rate for his pesos when he leaves the country.

The peso is so worthless outside of Argentina that even the Chilean and Brazilian fuel stations near the borders will not accept pesos for fuel from Argentine truck drivers.

Tres3.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBixby  [View Original Post]
    Thanks Gandolf, but I am totally confused on this. How does a tourist then convert back to US, or EU for that matter before they leave the country?
    Sometimes you can get lucky and sell excess pesos at the blue or close to the blue rate to a fellow traveler. The best bet is just don't change too many dollars so that you do not have a excess of pesos when you have to leave. Its really not that confusing. And if you have a few extra pesos when you leave.. Well that's the price for the far superior exchange rate. Or just save them for your next trip and hope this version of the peso still exists when you get back!

Posting Limitations