Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 50 of 137 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 100 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinBob  [View Original Post]
    I checked DolarBlue.net before I went and the bid asked spread was 11.25 11.65. I find that usually whatever is the midpoint between the bid / ask is what the rate will be when I get to the cueva.
    I believe that somebody on this website has done some extensive statistical analysis of the correlation between the rates posted on the various websites and the actual rate received at the cuevas, the final analysis being a 1.5% diffference, although that delta will spread to 2.5% for a day of two during periods of rapid rate fluctuations.

Thanks,

Jax.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

'You walk in with 5 one-hundred dollar bills in your wallet and walk out with a wad of 57 one-hundred peso notes bulging in your pocket.'.

And chicas say 'Is that wad of pesos, or are you just happy to see me?

The days of 9-10 are over. New norm 11 to 12+.

When do we hit the iceberg?

Couple of things:

I got 11.40 today in the gallery in the 700 block of Lavalle.

I checked DolarBlue.net before I went and the bid asked spread was 11.25 11.65. I find that usually whatever is the midpoint between the bid / ask is what the rate will be when I get to the cueva.

Of course checking it this afternoon it's 11.54 11.94.

There was a thing on the news channel last night with a couple of "experts" opining about the dollar peso surge. They showed the blue rate quotes for the week and they were going up about 50 centavos a day. The gist of the discussion was that the finance ministry was totally incompetent and that the country is heading for disaster. They also added that everytime Argentina has tried measures to fix what seems to be their perpetual problem, they never work.

I believe it being vacation time a lot of Argentines need dollars and this accounts for a January effect, but what they said on the show was that the problem was the central bank is hemorraging dollars and they can't stop it. The official rate by the way is about 6.75 now.

And to top it all off, the largest bank note they have is 100 pesos. You walk in with 5 one-hundred dollar bills in your wallet and walk out with a wad of 57 one-hundred peso notes bulging in your pocket.

Would like to hear from someone who knows more about all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    Looking at the 10-year chart for the official exchange rate, the slope over the last 2 years is defying gravity. Such a slope cannot be sustained.

Where do you guys see this going over the next year?
    Unless the government just does away with the official rate, 14 to 15-1 by June, maybe more. I think it will stay just behind inflation. If they remove the market and freely float the peso it will stabilize around 12.5 for awhile.

Looking at the 10-year chart for the official exchange rate, the slope over the last 2 years is defying gravity. Such a slope cannot be sustained.

Where do you guys see this going over the next year?

Back in town.

Got 11.1 from the same place I've been going to. A little news stand between Falabella and HSBC on Florida and Juan Domingo Peron.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Does anyone know if this place is still in business? I haven't seen it mentioned here in a long time.

Thanks, Bob.
    Yes, there last week. 9-4 M-F. There is a nice cop that opens the door for you and guards the place.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Esq For This Post:

11.25 Venta

Maybe get 11 tomorrow..

http://dolarblue.net/

Arenales 1245 - between Talcahuano & Libertad

Yesterday (Tuesday) I visited this place just to make sure it still existed and was told that they were paying 10.4 pesos for a dollar. I thought that sounded reasonable and it's a place I can walk to so that's where I changed money today. I really don't know what rate I got today. I have no interest in the rate wars. Check their rate yourself and do business there or not. I am just making you aware of the place.

There's a large sign inside saying, in Spanish, something like "we don't exchange dollars". But they did for me.

Hours are between 10 - 17:30, Monday through Friday.

Bob.

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo

Does anyone know if this place is still in business? I haven't seen it mentioned here in a long time.

Thanks, Bob.

I changed with 3 girls today. Was fucking wild. I never thought that past 50 that I coulda done that kind of business. However, and shit, now that I think of it. I guess I never got back any change! TCS-ellipses}.

Quote Originally Posted by Premium  [View Original Post]
    I can help you out. I send you a pm.

I changed today with two girls who are traveling. They didn't know anything about the blue dollar. Helped them out a bit. Feel like helping some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Conchuir  [View Original Post]
    Hey Fellas,

Anyone know of a reasonable Cambio in the Palermo Soho area?. I arrive Wednesday AM and have rented an apartment near Thames y Charcas. It would be very handy for me if any of you know of a place within walking distance or a short cab ride to exchange some Dollars on Wednesday morning. Thank you.
    I can help you out. I send you a pm.

I changed today with two girls who are traveling. They didn't know anything about the blue dollar. Helped them out a bit. Feel like helping some more.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTea  [View Original Post]
    What, with Argentina's inflation?
    For me, 20 centavos on the dollar is another 8 to 10 k pesos a year. Ill take it. It helps offset the inflation! There have been times I needed pesos and if the rate was not to my liking either I didn't buy any or I would just buy a hundred dollars worth and wait for a better rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    The way I see it is 20 cents or more difference adds up to quite of bit of money over the period of a year.
    What, with Argentina's inflation?

Exchange in Palermo Soho?

Hey Fellas,

Anyone know of a reasonable Cambio in the Palermo Soho area?. I arrive Wednesday AM and have rented an apartment near Thames y Charcas. It would be very handy for me if any of you know of a place within walking distance or a short cab ride to exchange some Dollars on Wednesday morning. Thank you.

Posting Limitations