Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 54 of 137 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    Approx how many?
    Can't say exactly until Sunday, but at the current rate let's say AR $4000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by OutforFlesh  [View Original Post]
    Turns out I've bought more pesos than what I think I am finally going to spend. Any idea on how I can change them back into euros (preferably) or dollars at a reasonable rate?
    Approx how many?

Over provisioned

Turns out I've bought more pesos than what I think I am finally going to spend. Any idea on how I can change them back into euros (preferably) or dollars at a reasonable rate?

Cueva Locations

Is there an approved (by Jackson and the team) Exchange near my hotel at Juncal & Arroyo in Retiro?

Many Thanks,

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings Everyone,

I seems that the Argentine bargain hunters taking advantage of the cheap dollar has bolstered the demand and thus restored some of the previous week's rates.

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.87

Ambito.com "Informal Venta" = 9.69

DolarPeso.com "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.69

DolarBlue.net "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.66

DolarAlDia.com "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.75

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = 9.732

Rate Actually Received = 9.45

Discount from Average Rate = -2.89% (x .9710)

You're welcome.

Jackson

Exchanging currency

The cuerva in Galaria Colon on Florida paid 9 pesos / dollar on Tuesday, down from 9.8 for my previous two exchanges. I only changed $100 on Tuesday and I probably would have received a couple tenths of a peso more for my usual $500 transaction.

GV.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    A Paraguayan I was meeting with in November asked to be paid in dollars because she was headed home for the holidays and the Argentinian peso is worthless in Paraguay.
    LOL! If there is a currency worse the the Argentine Peso it is the Guarani!

Quote Originally Posted by Santa  [View Original Post]
    Does this mean that the women referred to in this forum are going to ask to be paid in dollars or other foreign currency?
    A Paraguayan I was meeting with in November asked to be paid in dollars because she was headed home for the holidays and the Argentinian peso is worthless in Paraguay.

New Restrictions on Tourist Dollars

Now, a non Argentina cannot buy airfare, hotel accommodations and other tourist services with pesos. Does this mean that the women referred to in this forum are going to ask to be paid in dollars or other foreign currency? How about taxicabs, groceries, butchers and other shops?

Quote Originally Posted by Gikubik  [View Original Post]
    So like me. You have a PM. Good luck in the Cueva!

Xavi.
    Thanks. Actually I am getting pesos from the people who is renting me the apartment I'm staying in. So in principle no need to go to any cueva.

And even worse news (for those of us that only have banking in Argentina), the 'tax' on using credit cards abroad just went up from 20% to 35%.

I say 'tax', but this is just legalized robbery. So when I go to Canada for Christmas in 3 weeks time, if I take my lad to McDonalds and pay with my credit card, this government will add 35% and steal it from me. How the fcuk the people here let them get away with this sh1 t is one of life's great mysteries!

On today's news. Big rise in the official rate (up 15 c in one day) coupled with a huge drop in the blue rate (down 40 c in one day).

Resulting in Official = 6.16 and Blue = 9.18, bringing the differential down below 50%.

Damn.

Although pretty pleased with myself for having changed a huge wad last week. I'd have been 5,700 pesos down if I'd changed them today!

Quote Originally Posted by EdHandy  [View Original Post]
    (guy takes out the calculator, shows me 9.2 * 200 = 1840).

"Bien".

Guy counts out the money.

"Gracias".

That easy. If you're doing it in daytime with a bunch of people around, and not converting huge tons of money at once, what's the risk? A few bad bills?
    Two risks: a small one, that you'll get dodgy bills (admittedly I've never received one in 6 years of changing on Florida, but I always go to the places recommended on here, NOT to random 'arboles'.)

And the second one: the exchange rate available on the day you got 9.2 may have been 9.8 in the recommended places!

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBob  [View Original Post]
    Do not buy on the street without street smarts and good castellano.
    Odd, I did just that. Didn't exchange a lot of money at once ($200 my first day, $300 the next), but there are a million "cambio, cambio, cambio" guys out on Florida street, and have not had any problem spending the AR $100 notes I got from the first one just south of Cordoba.

I have rudimentary Mexican / American Spanish, and pretty much anyone with a year of high school Spanish can do it:

"Cuanto cada dolare?

"Nueve. Veinte".

"Bien. Tengo dos ciento".

(guy takes out the calculator, shows me 9.2 * 200 = 1840).

"Bien".

Guy counts out the money.

"Gracias".

That easy. If you're doing it in daytime with a bunch of people around, and not converting huge tons of money at once, what's the risk? A few bad bills?

I see...

Quote Originally Posted by OutforFlesh  [View Original Post]
    I am in a business trip and want to make good use of my extra time.
    So like me. You have a PM. Good luck in the Cueva!

Xavi.

Posting Limitations