Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 55 of 137 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gikubik  [View Original Post]
    He told me this notes are "más prácticos". As you, I didn't understand... Anyway maybe difference is not so big with smaller notes, and maybe when you go to the cueva they tell you they don't care, you know how it goes in this city... Anyway I think it's worth knowing so, if you have any of this notes (and you are expecting to spend this amount or more) you can bring it with you. And for sure you shouldn't bring notes smaller than 50€, just in case.

You are from Spain and you are here for chicas? I can't believe it! Spain is a paradise if you compare with this country where everything is expensive and they want to suck with condom most of cases! A nightmare!

Good luck!

Xavi.
    I am in a business trip and want to make good use of my extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by OutforFlesh  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for the superb info and advice. Yes, I was expecting that the difference official / blue was not going to be as wide for the Euro. But I wasn't expecting that big notes were going to make a difference. Actually I would expect that smaller notes were easier to resell / use later on. Unless you use them to stuff suitcases and make legally doubtful payments. Which of course won't be the case, right?
    He told me this notes are "más prácticos". As you, I didn't understand... Anyway maybe difference is not so big with smaller notes, and maybe when you go to the cueva they tell you they don't care, you know how it goes in this city... Anyway I think it's worth knowing so, if you have any of this notes (and you are expecting to spend this amount or more) you can bring it with you. And for sure you shouldn't bring notes smaller than 50€, just in case.

You are from Spain and you are here for chicas? I can't believe it! Spain is a paradise if you compare with this country where everything is expensive and they want to suck with condom most of cases! A nightmare!

Good luck!

Xavi.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gikubik For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gikubik  [View Original Post]
    I'm from Barcelona, here since last Wednesday. I exchanged euros using a friend of mine who works in realstate business. He usually call someone to come to his office from the cueva for safety reasons. I was talking with that person from the cueva and he told me a couple of things maybe useful about exchanging euros. I'm going to write it in Spanish because my English is not good enough, I'm sorry:

1) El mercado del euro en Argentina no es tan liquido como el del dolar porque mayoritariamente se trabaja más en dolares. Eso hace que las horquillas entre venta / compra sean siempre algo más grandes o sea que te penaliza un poco (no mucho). Igualmente si vas a cambiar los euros a dolares en España tambien tendrás una comision o sea que... "lo comido por lo servido".

2) El billete de euro cuando más grande mejor. Por suerte yo traje billetes de 500 euros cosa que al chaval le gusto. En verdad cuando mi amigo de la inmobiliaria llamó para pedir cambio, no solo le preguntaron cuanto quería cambiar sinó tambien qué billetes eran. Una vez supo que eran de 500 nos dijo la tasa de cambio que fué más alta que para billetes de 50, por ejemplo.

I suppose when you go to the cueva they are going to give you the worst exchange rate possible anyway (that's Argentina! But if you can choose, try to bring with you big banknotes! You are not losing anything and you know like me that 500 euros banknotes in Spain have a lot of controls from "Spanish AFIP" so better to spend them abroad!

Here I'm if you need something!

Xavi.
    Thanks for the superb info and advice. Yes, I was expecting that the difference official / blue was not going to be as wide for the Euro. But I wasn't expecting that big notes were going to make a difference. Actually I would expect that smaller notes were easier to resell / use later on. Unless you use them to stuff suitcases and make legally doubtful payments. Which of course won't be the case, right?

Euros too of course! But...

Quote Originally Posted by OutforFlesh  [View Original Post]
    I guess then that euros are also happily accepted (I expected that, but just want to make sure. I am coming from Spain).
    I'm from Barcelona, here since last Wednesday. I exchanged euros using a friend of mine who works in realstate business. He usually call someone to come to his office from the cueva for safety reasons. I was talking with that person from the cueva and he told me a couple of things maybe useful about exchanging euros. I'm going to write it in Spanish because my English is not good enough, I'm sorry:

1) El mercado del euro en Argentina no es tan liquido como el del dolar porque mayoritariamente se trabaja más en dolares. Eso hace que las horquillas entre venta / compra sean siempre algo más grandes o sea que te penaliza un poco (no mucho). Igualmente si vas a cambiar los euros a dolares en España tambien tendrás una comision o sea que... "lo comido por lo servido".

2) El billete de euro cuando más grande mejor. Por suerte yo traje billetes de 500 euros cosa que al chaval le gusto. En verdad cuando mi amigo de la inmobiliaria llamó para pedir cambio, no solo le preguntaron cuanto quería cambiar sinó tambien qué billetes eran. Una vez supo que eran de 500 nos dijo la tasa de cambio que fué más alta que para billetes de 50, por ejemplo.

I suppose when you go to the cueva they are going to give you the worst exchange rate possible anyway (that's Argentina! But if you can choose, try to bring with you big banknotes! You are not losing anything and you know like me that 500 euros banknotes in Spain have a lot of controls from "Spanish AFIP" so better to spend them abroad!

Here I'm if you need something!

Xavi.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gikubik For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EasyGo  [View Original Post]
    Scotty Dog / Out for Flesh.

ATM's and credit cards are a horrible idea in BA as they use the official exchange rate. Occasionally, shops and restaurants can be talked into a decent exchange rate for cash but it's uncommon since dollars are only in demand by relatively small part of the population. Plus I find a lot of people that think the official rate is the "real" rate and anybody wanting an exchange at the blue rate is being unreasonable. A wad of 100 peso notes will usually get you a lot farther than a wad of foreign currency in regular life.

Bring clean 100's (dollars or euros) and exchange them in one of the suggested cuevas. As long as you are not an idiot or horribly unlucky, you'll be fine.
    I guess then that euros are also happily accepted (I expected that, but just want to make sure. I am coming from Spain).

Scotty- you are not paying attention here

Do not buy on the street without street smarts and good castellano.

Either hire Silver Star limo and Fred, the owner, to pick you up at the airport and he'll do the "blue market" exchange as part of his luxury service--very straight trustable guy who has been in business for years.

Or.

Arrange for TL to do the club tour with you. This is TL business. TL will charge you something--and he'll do it with you or if you are in BA and no interest in mongering clubs or prefer to learn the city on your own; take TL to lunch and he'll do you a favor.

Or PM Daddy Rulz and ask him pretty please with sugar on top and buy him a thank you drink.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miami Bob For This Post:

Scotty Dog / Out for Flesh.

ATM's and credit cards are a horrible idea in BA as they use the official exchange rate. Occasionally, shops and restaurants can be talked into a decent exchange rate for cash but it's uncommon since dollars are only in demand by relatively small part of the population. Plus I find a lot of people that think the official rate is the "real" rate and anybody wanting an exchange at the blue rate is being unreasonable. A wad of 100 peso notes will usually get you a lot farther than a wad of foreign currency in regular life.

Bring clean 100's (dollars or euros) and exchange them in one of the suggested cuevas. As long as you are not an idiot or horribly unlucky, you'll be fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Go For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Also, the stuff is scattered throughout the city.

San Telmo
    On Defensa in San Telmo there's a few places selling some properly amazing Art Deco furniture, but the last time I checked (3 years ago) it was expensive as hell. More expensive than London prices.

Antiques in BA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyDog23  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for all the In-put..I will exchange on the street. Question...I plan to buy some antiques...will merchants give me 10 to One if I pay in Dollars?

Thanks in advance for replys.
    Alright Dog!

Some of the guys would be happy to help you exchange dollars at a favorable rate and some of the guys will actually buy them from you.

Enough about that for now.

Antiques:

The city is full of interesting stuff to take back home.

The most interesting stuff can't be imported into ANY country in the world or it can't be removed from Argentina.

Argento knows everything about this subject but he has been silent for quite a while. You may be able to PM him and ask him a few questions.

I have lived here for 8 years and even when I ask how much something cost, especially an antique in an antique store the prices quoted are ALWAYS in dollars but Nothing is clearly marked so who the hell really knows how much it cost!

If these assholes can rip you a New one in any particular manner down here they will never hesitate if you are a "Tourista!

That is a national pastime.

What's down here?

All sorts of shit! Some real, some fakes but with the internet and E-Bay you won't find any special deals but all this chatter may not mean a thing if it's just for personal use.

So how much is that little hooker in the window?

1500.00 .

1500.00 what? Pesos?

No, $1500.00 Dollars because Antigues and Real Estate are quoted in Dollars! BS!

Will they sell their stuff at 10 to 1 ?

Probably not!

Also, the stuff is scattered throughout the city.

San Telmo, Esmeralda St. , Libertad, etc.

Be glad to show you around.

Thanks,

TL.

My favorite story is about this guy I met down here recently and I asked him what he does for a living .

He told me that he Makes Antiques in China !

Very Funny !

Hey,

My experience in Colombia and a dozen other countries is that ATM s are safe and offer a good rate.

Is this a good plan in BA?
    I do not think so. I guess that ATMs will in any case give you pesos at the official rate, while if you buy pesos in the street you'll have a much more favorable rate. I suppose that the same applies when one pays with a credit card at a shop.

BTW, I am going to BsAs for some days next Wed, after some years of absence. Do shops / restaurants accept cash payments in Euros / dollars? If so, what exchange rate can I expect?

Thanks!

Alright, Alright!

Thanks for all the In-put..I will exchange on the street. Question...I plan to buy some antiques...will merchants give me 10 to One if I pay in Dollars?

Thanks in advance for replys.

Good Plan

Hey,

My experience in Colombia and a dozen other countries is that ATM s are safe and offer a good rate.

Is this a good plan in BA?
    The peso is the currency of Argentina and since 1969 thirteen zeroes have been dropped (a factor of ten trillion) due to the inflation here.

Different systems but does that sound like a good plan ?

Dropped a few in 2001 .

In recent times the exchange rate hovered around 3 pesos per United States dollar from 2002 to 2008, was around 4 pesos from 2009 to 2011, and has reached 6 pesos on November 2013.

By November 2013, due to the National Government's policies and the market's lack of trust in the currency, the free exchange rate (the only possible one, as the government has banned the access to US dollars) is about 10 pesos per US dollar (although it fluctuates wildly).

Does this "sound like a good plan?

I guess You can always use Bit Coins.

TL.

Thanks for the "on the street" intel

Warmest regards,

Bob.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.63

Ambito.com "Informal Venta" = 9.57

DolarPeso.com "Dolar Blue Venta" = 9.57

DolarBlue.net "Deep Blue Venta" = 9.66

DolarAlDia.com "Dólar Blue Informado" = 9.66

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = 9.618

Rate Actually Received = 9.40

Discount from Average Rate = -2.27% (x .9773)

You're welcome.

Jackson

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

Going rate around 9.4 on Lavalle today, down from 9.7 last week.

Posting Limitations