Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 59 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 109 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by FunPete  [View Original Post]
    Many locals will also be able to help you exchange, may be not for as much as Florida, as in my case I have received about 8.6 Pesos to the $.
    Besides your unnecessary accusatory tone as pointed out by El Queso (and also for the benefit of others, you've made it very clear that you're happy to receive considerably less for your USD than is available), you're completely wide of the mark with the above comment!

"Maybe not for as much as Florida..."?!?!? Locals who are looking to BUY dollars would have to go to the same cuevas if they weren't lucky enough to have someone as generous as you. Consequently they'd be paying considerably MORE than the current rate than the cuevas are buying them for. On the odd occasion that I have the opportunity to sell my USD to a local I'm happy to sell for 0.1 OVER the current rate and they're more than happy to pay it. So in the case you quoted, when the cueva rate is 9.1 and you're happy to accept 8.6 from your 'local', I can guarantee there are plenty of locals who will pay 9.2 (or more) and would be thanking you profusely for the favour.

*This is a Public Service announcement.*

PS. I've also NEVER received a fake bill on Florida in the 6+ years I've been changing money there.

Venues: 8
    I like to exchange with locals who I know! You don't? No problem, go and exchange in Florida or where ever you feel like, but stop telling me I am being cheated on...
    Heh. Well. Maybe you have a misunderstanding how the forum is supposed to work.

I was pointing out, to others who may be reading what you had to say, a counterpoint related to my experience here. The forum is an exchange of ideas and information and doing so is not whining. I even made sure to point out I was not trying to insult you, but rather the way things work. How you choose to perform your necessary monetary maintenance is wholy up to you.

Nowhere did I say you were being cheated. There is a difference between being cheated and being generous. If you are generous, knowing that you are indeed being generous, good for you. I think I'm a pretty generous guy, all things considered. If you are being generous because you don't know the difference and don't even care, to me that is foolish. I don't know which camp you fall into and I don't care. Let others make that decision for themselves and accept comments from people in opposition to yours, particularly if they are accurate statements and come from someone who has a lot of experience in changing money here.

You stated you gave the guy a 20 p tip, I merely pointed out for the edification of the other multitude of readers who peruse this site for information that you had already paid his salary and gave him a tip to boot. Others may not be willing to do that.

I probably should have also pointed out that if you go direct to the guy behind the desk once you've been taken there (depends on the place) instead of being taken there by a tout, you would most likely get a better deal. Of course one would need to have an idea of what the current rate should be and dicker with him (he won't give it for nothing unless you build a relationship). But one should have an idea of the price even with dealing with the tout because they'll move off their points as well, unless one is up for spending more money than necessary. The amount of effort required to save even 50 pesos (a cheap steak dinner in many parillas around the city) on an exchange like that is minimal.

I understand that such a thing does not seem to matter to you, but perhaps it will save a reader a few bucks and he will be happy. Think of me when you bite into that bife de chorizo, unnamed reader who profits from my experience!

And I do often change with locals I know, FYI, as if it mattered to you. If I need money and someone I know isn't available, I run right down to Florida, about two blocks away from my apartment and make the change there. Why? Because it's convenient. For me. I even told you in my first post that I understood your accounting as a reason to change with locals and not go down to Florida. Of course, the locals with whom I change money know what the current rate is too and when I insist on something closer to reality than 50 points down, it's usually not a problem.

A lot of guys who read this forum may not have the advantage of knowing a local who wants to buy dollars and he shouldn't be worried about going down to Florida, and should understand how it works. If it's convenient for him. My information was related to changing money on Florida, both the myth of counterfeit bills and how the transactions work.

So much for trying to point out such things in a polite manner, eh?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Queso For This Post:

All these Whining Comments

I like to exchange with locals who I know! You don't? No problem, go and exchange in Florida or where ever you feel like, but stop telling me I am being cheated on. I do not like Florida, I prefer to get 8.5 to the US $ from someone I know, someone who will deliver to my place whenever I want, rather than head to Florida; that is my choice! Consider the 0.7 Pesos or whatever the difference is, a service fee / tip to the local I know. I am perfectly happy with that and I don't feel being cheated on at all. And tips, yes, I leave tips whenever I like to whoever I like to, including the cambio boy; seriously, is it really worth complaining about why I left 20 P tip, a mere $2 or so? How cheap to even write about it!

Now as to anyone trying to exchange US $ to Pesos here in Buenos Aires. In Florida Street you won't miss the many people screaming cambio all the time. As of today, they will give you somewhere around 9 to 9.3 Pesos to the US $. They prefer clean $100 bills.

Many locals will also be able to help you exchange, may be not for as much as Florida, as in my case I have received about 8.6 Pesos to the $. Just ask any local you know, everyone tries to have $ these days, as the future of the peso is not very bright right now. Many stores also will exchange when you pay with US $ cash, anywhere from 7 to 8 Pesos form what I have seen, they will return the change in pesos.

Lastly, you can also use xoom.com, they will withdraw from your US bank account and you can pick up cash in Buenos Aires. Effective exchange rate considering the fees is aobut 8.1 Peso or so to the US$. The great thing is you don't need to bring all that cash.

Pick your choices and enjoy the city. And please, no more whining about my preference on exchanging money!

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ElQueso  [View Original Post]
    I'm not insulting you for giving a tip but I need to make another comment.

I tip about 10% here when I dine out, whereas most Argentinos may tip a few pesos with no eye on the amount of the bill. Things are different here, no doubt. But waiters get paid pretty well. They are in a union and well protected in many cases. I tip because it can have a direct impact on how I get served the next time.

Bastards

Quote Originally Posted by ElQueso  [View Original Post]
    I have, however, gotten two fake 100 pesos in ATM machines when it was still worthwhile retrieving money directly from my bank account in the States. Two different machines, two different times.
    Happened to me once as well, fucking bastards. I went right into the bank because my ex immediately spotted it as a fake. The manager looked me in the eye and said, "Impossible." Since then I've known two or three people not counting you that have experienced the same. Fucking thieves, I think they are running the fakes that must invariably show up in their stacks through the ATM machine because they can just deny it.

The other time was a waiter at Corrientes and Esmeralda, I saw it was a fake, I stopped him as he walked away and he tried to bull his way through. I stood up and told him I would stand by the register all day telling people they cheated me if he wouldn't give me another. It took ten minutes but he gave me another. That was back when 50 pesos was still a little bit of money.

I have never gotten a fakie from a cambio.

DR.

...I also gave the boy 20 P propina...
    I'm not insulting you for giving a tip but I need to make another comment.

I tip about 10% here when I dine out, whereas most Argentinos may tip a few pesos with no eye on the amount of the bill. Things are different here, no doubt. But waiters get paid pretty well. They are in a union and well protected in many cases. I tip because it can have a direct impact on how I get served the next time.

The guys who are working for the arbolitos (the smaller guys changing money publicly, shouting "cambio") get paid by the difference in what he agrees with you will be the rate, and the rate set by his boss who he ends up taking you to, to change the money. If the guy takes you back to a place and opens the door to an empty office, he's the boss and is making all the difference between the rate he gives you and the rate he gets when he sells his dollars to the cueva he works with.

You might get a slightly better rate if you see the same guy again, but I doubt it. Most likely he's going to try to go even lower to see what he can get away with.

In any case, 8.5 in the last few weeks put maybe 100 pesos in his pocket for your deal.

I know, 20 pesos as tip is only a gnat's ass over 2 bucks, not a great big deal. But just so you know.

...and I can trust I get no fake bills paying 20P extra...
    Just a comment. I've lived here for 7 years and have heard people talk so many times about the fear of getting fake bills on Florida pretty much ever since I've been here. As far as I can tell, it's a myth. I've never met anyone who has been screwed purposefully (I.e. A number of fake bills given) and it has never happened to me. Or, at least, I've never noticed it. Given the fact that just about everyone here examines just about every 100 pesos note given in exchange for purchases, I think I would have noticed if I've been dealt fakes before.

I have, however, gotten two fake 100 pesos in ATM machines when it was still worthwhile retrieving money directly from my bank account in the States. Two different machines, two different times.

It is one thing to try to cheat people when it can be done here. However, the guys on Florida police their own because it would be a very bad thing if suddenly they got a reputation for cheating people by handing out counterfeits. Almost all of the change guys on Florida work for the cuevas as their retail arm (be it as direct "employees" or as independent contractors who are beholden to cuevistas) and the bills they are given by the cuevas are run through counting machines and checked for authenticity.

I know this because I have a very good relationship with a local mid-level cuevista here who I do business with at least once a month, if not more, and we discuss these issues often while I'm there chatting with him about the weather and his lamenting the fate of Argentina under Peronists and faux-Peronists like Cristina.

However, I can't fault your paying 20 p extra when all expenses are said and done, just wanted to make a comment about Florida itself.

Got 9.1 changing USD300 today at the 'Western Union' on Lavalle near Florida.

Didn't check what the rates were on here. It was a spontaneous thing.

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig deal; Florida $200 at 9 = 1,800 P + 80 P taxi round trip = 1,720 P total to me. Friend comes to my place whenever I want, $200 = 1,700 P and I can trust I get no fake bills paying 20P extra. I won't change more than $200, as the rate is changing daily and more likely in my favor! Xoom.com currently exchanges at 8.3 or so plus a hefty fee yielding a net rate of about 8.0. Anyway, I am just adding my sense here, if you know locals you can trust and lose a few pesos, no problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276  [View Original Post]
    Sorry bro, but your argie friends are clipping you for about 1 peso. When they sell their pesos for dollars they pay the cave currently about 9.30 or more. If you have money to burn please PM me!

I got 9 pesos exchanging $200 on Florida near Corrientes. There was about 20+ people screaming "cambio" and I just talked to one and decided to try. We walked for a block, went down the stairs and I gave $200 getting 1,800 P in return. I also gave the boy 20 P propina. Also many locals I know are wiling to exchange, so not to take any risk (or at least less chance of a fake bill than on Florida); they changed for me at 8.5 P to the dollar, which is fine with me.
    Sorry bro, but your argie friends are clipping you for about 1 peso. When they sell their pesos for dollars they pay the cave currently about 9.30 or more. If you have money to burn please PM me!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomaso276 For This Post:

9 fro 200

I got 9 pesos exchanging $200 on Florida near Corrientes. There was about 20+ people screaming "cambio" and I just talked to one and decided to try. We walked for a block, went down the stairs and I gave $200 getting 1,800 P in return. I also gave the boy 20 P propina. Also many locals I know are wiling to exchange, so not to take any risk (or at least less chance of a fake bill than on Florida); they changed for me at 8.5 P to the dollar, which is fine with me.

I got 9.10 yesterday at midday, changing USD1300.

The sites on here were ranging from 9.20 to 9.30.

There were more arbolitos on Florida than ordinary members of public. Where there used to be 1 or 2 per block, there's now 10 - 15. It's all gone a bit crazy down there!

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    Read, and understand the ruling! If you do not comprehend the ruling, get someone who does to explain it to you.
    What on earth makes you think I don't understand the ruling?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...on-singer.html

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterTea For This Post:

Xoom.com

Has anyone used Xoom lately to transfer funds? Here is what just happened to me:

I signed up, transferred via my bank account for cash pickup at "More. Casa Central" and it was all cleared and ready to pickup in BA 30 minutes later or so.

A few hours later I got an email the transaction had been cancelled. I called xoom to find out why, and they said it was cancelled by the cash-pickup company MORE in BA without any specific reasons? They will contact them to find out why next week and call me. Strange?
    I used Xoom.com twice this month in Mendoza and once in Salta.

I usually picked up my funds within a couple of hours of receipt of.

Acknowledgement that funds are ready for pick up.

Since this was new to me in August I showed my name as the recipient.

And the Mendoza Cambio Casa's address. You should always use your.

Name as the recipient and since I've been on the road in Latin America for.

2 years I just started using my hotel address. All they want to see is my.

Passport and what the Xoom transfer I'd number is for the transaction.

Hope that helps! Oh, I got 3 of those counterfiet 100 Peso bills in with.

My last 5,000 pesos in Mendoza. Now, I have a new challenge... Getting.

Rid of them!

Houn Dog.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HounDog For This Post:

Xoom anyone?

Has anyone used Xoom lately to transfer funds? Here is what just happened to me:

I signed up, transferred via my bank account for cash pickup at "More. Casa Central" and it was all cleared and ready to pickup in BA 30 minutes later or so.

A few hours later I got an email the transaction had been cancelled. I called xoom to find out why, and they said it was cancelled by the cash-pickup company MORE in BA without any specific reasons? They will contact them to find out why next week and call me. Strange?

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings Everyone,

Today at approximately 4 pm a friend of mine exchanged $1,000 USD for pesos at 9.05.

Just before he left to exchange his cash, the popular local exchange rate websites were reporting the following Blue Dollar exchange rates:

La Nacion = $9.50 venta

Ambito.com = $8.75 venta

DolarPeso.com = $9.25 venta

DolarBlue.net = $9.30 venta

----------------------------------------------------------

Average Published Rate = $9.20

Rate Actually Received = $9.05

Discount from Average Rate = -1.64% (x .9836)

You're welcome.

Jackson

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

Posting Limitations