Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 67 of 137 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

That's the current rate? 8 pesos?

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    The cambio at the end of the hall in the gallaria near Florida and Cordoba (next to the big cell store) is totally off my list. I used to change there because they were competitive and had a nice secure place for larger transactions but in accordance with Argentine Econ 101 have abused the relationship to the point where it's time to terminate it. Today they tried to give me 7.6 and I got 8 on 100 at my chino across from the Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. I didn't do any shopping on the 8 rate as I had other shit to do, they may be on the way out as well.

Loyalty programs just don't exist here.
    I need to make 1000 US $ change on Wednesday. Is that the rate? 8 pesos? You can't get more?

Some background info

From this morning's BsAs Herald:

Monday, June 10,2013.

US dollar steady; black market paralyzed.

While the US dollar rate at exchange offices was unchanged at a selling price of 5.631 pesos, transactions in the informal market were paralyzed on fears of government controls after Domestic Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno's threats.

Moreno held meetings last Friday with exchange offices representatives and asked them to hold the "blue" dollar between a six to seven pesos rate.

Exchange brokers told reporters they preferred halting transactions for a few days to having their businesses closed or raided by government inspectors.

Off my list

The cambio at the end of the hall in the gallaria near Florida and Cordoba (next to the big cell store) is totally off my list. I used to change there because they were competitive and had a nice secure place for larger transactions but in accordance with Argentine Econ 101 have abused the relationship to the point where it's time to terminate it. Today they tried to give me 7.6 and I got 8 on 100 at my chino across from the Acapulco Resto on Lavalle. I didn't do any shopping on the 8 rate as I had other shit to do, they may be on the way out as well.

Loyalty programs just don't exist here.

Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for the info. Since I'll be carrying small amounts of local currency do they have ATMs for a quick refill if I need.

ALSO. Since the dollar is so valuable, is it possible to negotiate prices with the ladies in DOLLARS?
    This needs to be emphasized.

NEVER, EVER, under any circumstances negotiate with chicas in dollars.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe 23 For This Post:

I don't mind helping a brother out

Thanks for the info. Since I'll be carrying small amounts of local currency do they have ATMs for a quick refill if I need.

ALSO. Since the dollar is so valuable, is it possible to negotiate prices with the ladies in DOLLARS?
    I'm just curious, are you taking the time to read anything that's ever been posted here? Every question you have asked has been talked about, deconstructed from every possible angle, and a consensus reached by the brotherhood.
    • Bring whatever money you need in cash, clean unmarked 50 and 100 dollar bills only
    • Bring TL and I some peanut butter and we will take you by they hand and help you exchange money, you will recoup your PB investment many times over with the better rate we will get you, let alone not getting robbed on the way out (I'm also running out of clabbergirl baking powder, the onion rings were worth it but I need more)
    • Feel free to use your ATM card if you don't mind getting a 30% lower rate plus paying international usage fees
    • Carefully figure your burn rate the last three days you are here to have no left over pesos, they are worthless outside of Argentina
    • Never, ever, under any circumstances negotiate with chicas in dollars, not only will you pay more but then, in accordance with the laws of chica land, so will every extranjero that comes after you
    I'm not normally a RTTF kind of guy but all of this stuff has been said many, many, many times before.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kurty  [View Original Post]
    If you have extra pesos. At the Airport they will NOT, let me repeat, They will NOT, exchanging it back to Dollars. Even if you want 20 pesos to 1 dollars.
    Unfortunately, learned it the hard way.. And I had to spend all my left over pesos at duty free in EZE.. And buy stuff I didn't want!!

Never never never

If you have extra pesos. At the Airport they will NOT, let me repeat, They will NOT, exchanging it back to Dollars. Even if you want 20 pesos to 1 dollars.

Unfortunately, learned it the hard way.. And I had to spend all my left over pesos at duty free in EZE.. And buy stuff I didn't want!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    I don't believe any one outside of Argentina would trade pesos for dollars. The currency is worthless. Just buy in small amounts and throw away any that's left over. By this time next year there might even be a new currency. So maybe save a little bit as a keep sake? Hell, I still have cruzieros, drachmas and marks! I am thinking of using them as decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    REALLY BAD IDEA!

They may not accept, take back or exchange pesos for dollars and if they do the exchange rate will kill you!

Maybe buy your pesos at the official rate at the least! Sell you dollars at 10 to 1 ?

Help me out guys!

I'm here all the time but a lot of these Boys travel in and out of this country often so they know a lot more about it.

Your best bet is to meet up and we can exchange a normal amount and after that if you see that you may run out of pesos you can exchange again on your own if you'd like.

Better to run out of pesos!

Thanks,

TL.
    I don't believe any one outside of Argentina would trade pesos for dollars. The currency is worthless. Just buy in small amounts and throw away any that's left over. By this time next year there might even be a new currency. So maybe save a little bit as a keep sake? Hell, I still have cruzieros, drachmas and marks! I am thinking of using them as decoration.

Really Bad Idea!

I'll pack some PB in my carry-on and call once I get my hotel info and exact schedule.

BTW. If I "overbuy" LOCAL currency. Is there any problem changing back to DOLLARS at the airport when I go home?
    REALLY BAD IDEA!

They may not accept, take back or exchange pesos for dollars and if they do the exchange rate will kill you!

Maybe buy your pesos at the official rate at the least! Sell you dollars at 10 to 1 ?

Help me out guys!

I'm here all the time but a lot of these Boys travel in and out of this country often so they know a lot more about it.

Your best bet is to meet up and we can exchange a normal amount and after that if you see that you may run out of pesos you can exchange again on your own if you'd like.

Better to run out of pesos!

Thanks,

TL.

I'll pack some PB in my carry-on and call once I get my hotel info and exact schedule.

BTW. If I "overbuy" LOCAL currency. Is there any problem changing back to DOLLARS at the airport when I go home?

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    I would be glad to take him there. I go about 4 times a week anyway for myself and a lot of the other guys.

One large jar of Peanut Butter is what it will cost him. American Peter Pan or Jif. Smooth.

Scorcerer, PM me if you'd like any help down here.

Thanks,

TL.

Be Glad to Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze  [View Original Post]
    You want to bring $100 bills. You will get a lower rate for 20's and 50's. If you look through this thread you will find several places listed. The place on Florida & Lavalle with the Western Union sign is popular. If you are nervous about going yourself the first time try and make a friend with someone who lives there. Check the section where people are requesting things from the USA. Someone might take time out of their day to meet up with you and take you to one for a jar of peanut butter. Check your bills before you leave (watermark, reflective silver strip) to make sure they don't slip you some counterfeits. It's all pretty painless.
    I would be glad to take him there. I go about 4 times a week anyway for myself and a lot of the other guys.

One large jar of Peanut Butter is what it will cost him. American Peter Pan or Jif. Smooth.

Scorcerer, PM me if you'd like any help down here.

Thanks,

TL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze  [View Original Post]
    You want to bring $100 bills. You will get a lower rate for 20's and 50's. If you look through this thread you will find several places listed. The place on Florida & Lavalle with the Western Union sign is popular. If you are nervous about going yourself the first time try and make a friend with someone who lives there. Check the section where people are requesting things from the USA. Someone might take time out of their day to meet up with you and take you to one for a jar of peanut butter. Check your bills before you leave (watermark, reflective silver strip) to make sure they don't slip you some counterfeits. It's all pretty painless.
    Also try to bring clean bills, many places will try to discount dirty, old or written on bills.

Thanks. So is there a "safe way" to get Blue Market currency. How do I find these places. I assume I would also need "hard currency" "large denomination US bills" I.e. $20 $50 $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger  [View Original Post]
    The difference is the official rate you see on the currency exchanges of 5.2 and the "blue dollar" rate of 8+ you get from the local "black market" exchanges in the country.
    Thanks. So is there a "safe way" to get Blue Market currency. How do I find these places. I assume I would also need "hard currency" "large denomination US bills" I.e. $20 $50 $100.

Buenus Aires Herald

Bellow is an article published the other day in the Buenos aires Herald. It is according to well placed sources coming as a direct results of the Argentinian Government.

Failure to control the so called Blue Market through other means (ie; selling the Government Dollars into the blue market trying to lower the Dollar).

Friday, June 7, 2013.

Fears of gov't control paralyze dollar informal market.

The dollar informal market was paralyzed today with no transactions registered amid fears of controls from the government. Meanwhile, the US dollar remained unchanged today at exchange offices at a selling price of 5.31 pesos after rising two cents this week.

The black market dollar ended two cents up at 8.57 pesos.

Posting Limitations