Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 71 of 137 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Getting dollars in Uruguay

I apologize profusely in advance if this has been answered already, but I haven't found a post with a clear-cut answer yet.

I'm extending my trip to Buenos Aires by six months, and I need to get dollars from my US account. Since I will be going to Colonia to renew my visa, I plan on picking up dollars there.

The problem is that my credit union severely limits what I can take out of an ATM daily.

Is it possible to wire dollars to a bank and withdraw them? Or use something Western Union? Or will the money automatically be converted to Uruguayan Pesos?

There's some talk about using xoom in the forums, but I'd rather stick to traditional methods and companies with a solid reputation. However if xoom turns out to be the best option, I would open to using it.

And if anyone has any other ideas on how to get dollars from my account to Uruguay, I would like to hear them. Thanks.

Greenbacks

Any regulars who personally know me, who have some greenbacks left over from a trip or are coming down and can bring some please PM me. Thanks.

9.80 today

Received 9.80 today on Arenales, changing $200 USD.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chezz For This Post:

Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by FunPete  [View Original Post]
    I was wondering, any chance to get the blue rate at Ezeiza airport upon arrival?

Thanks!
    Maybe if someone is stuck with a bunch of toilet paper on the way out?

TL.

Fred will have some to spare !

On another note (s) a friend of ours has about 150k in dollars per month that he needs to convert.

PM me .

Sorry but

Quote Originally Posted by FunPete  [View Original Post]
    I was wondering, any chance to get the blue rate at Ezeiza airport upon arrival?

Thanks!
    No way, as far as I know.

Blue Rate at EZE airport?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Bad Idea ! 12345 1
    Actually its a great idea, I have been doing it for a while now. They pay over the going rate if they need the money and you can put it where they need it. My problem is my current "clients" don't need any dollars right now.

Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    If any one knows any one (most likely a Argentino) who needs dollars some where "outside" for pesos here (Buenos Aires) send me a PM. Thanks.
    Bad Idea ! 12345 1

Something slightly different.

If any one knows any one (most likely a Argentino) who needs dollars some where "outside" for pesos here (Buenos Aires) send me a PM. Thanks.

Staying 20 km away from Buenos Aires, I asked my host how to change my dollars. He phoned a guy who delivered the pesos within one hour at 9.80 for a dollar against 9.81 on blue dollars websites. Quick, fairly safe and excellent rate.

Beautiful Pirate Town

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggar  [View Original Post]
    Tejano Libre, you share valuable advice with newbies like me.

I plan on doing something nice for TL when arriving and urge fellow members here to also show TL some gratitude when arriving.

(Otherwise this source may be lost).

Tejano Libre, do you advise xooming to a Uruguay bank funds? If so...

1. How long a travel from BA to Uruguayan bank of choice?

2. How much willxooomoffer per day (USD) ?

Later,

Jaggar
    Xoom yourself less than $2999.99 DOLLARS per day and pick-it up in Colonia, Uruguay.

The current exchange rate , as we speak is, $200.00 u$d the equal $3702.00 pesos but my thoughts are for you to use an American Banking Card that has affiliates in Uruguay so you just stick in the card and yank out dollars at 1 to 1 . Close enough.

The Hover Craft, actually Catamaran can get you there in a long hour but then you have to kill time for the day! Take a Chica so she can bring back a few stacks for you too; just keep them chained to your dick.

Or take me I'm bored !

So Uruguay is 1 to 1 but if you bring dollars to BA you may get 10 to one soon!

Keep in touch.

TL.

You get what you pay for!

Tejano Libre, you share valuable advice with newbies like me.

I plan on doing something nice for TL when arriving and urge fellow members here to also show TL some gratitude when arriving.

(Otherwise this source may be lost).

Tejano Libre, do you advise xooming to a Uruguay bank funds? If so...

1. How long a travel from BA to Uruguayan bank of choice?

2. How much willxooomoffer per day (USD) ?

Later,

Jaggar

Hitting the Fan!

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Xoom is paying $8.35 today and it's ALWAYS in Pesos. They close at 1 pm on Sat and closed all day on Sun.

M-F they close at 6 pm I think. Impossible to xoom yourself a load today. Maybe?

Uruguayan ATMs pay out in dollars, 1 to 1 .

TL.
    Saturday, May 4th 2013 - 04:18 UTC

Dollar in Argentina ‘brushes’ 10 Pesos; urgent meeting of Cristina Fernandez economic cabinet

For a third consecutive day the ‘blue’ dollar which trades in Argentina’s informal market established a new record and after having brushed 10 Pesos in earlier trading finally closed Friday at 9.84 (buying price) and 9.88 (selling price) Pesos.

Banker Federico Sturzenegger, the situation is untenable.

Vice-president Amado Boudou: “speculative activities from 100 or 200.000 people”

This means the price of the greenback in Argentina’s informal market, as people flock to get rid of their local currency, has soared 44 cents in a week and the gap with the ‘official’ rate which ended trading on Friday at 5.20 Pesos selling price, has reached 90%.

“There are plenty of buyers, but people wanting to sell dollars are scarcer and scarcer. Nobody wants to get rid of the dollars in Argentina, not even tourists”, said Buenos Aires city financial quarter money traders.

“Despite the rain we’re literally flooded with demands for dollars and we have been forced to work on weekends. Because of inflation, people collect their salaries and rush to turn them into foreign currency”, added the money traders.

“The blue keeps increasing because it’s the lifesaver for those wanting to get out of Pesos” said Javier Gonzalez Fraga, a former president from the Argentine Central bank.

With the latest advance, the ‘blue’ dollar in Argentina has ballooned 44.49% since the beginning of the year, while the official rate has only increased 5.5%. The rush on the dollar is reflected in the Central bank’s international reserves which lost 911 million last month and now stand at 39.535 billion, which is the lowest in six years.

The situation called for an urgent meeting at midday convened by President Cristina Fernandez and the cabinet chief Juan Manuel Abal Medina together with Economy minister Hernan Lorenzino, Deputy minister Axel Kicillof, Domestic Trade Secretary Guillermo Moreno, the president of the Central bank, Mercedes Marcó del Pont and the head of the tax revenue office Ricardo Echegaray.

Ms Marcó del Pont who was scheduled to open a central bank conference on the international crisis had to suspend her attendance and rush to Government House.

People fear the Argentine government might decide to create a two tier system with weekly or daily auctions of dollars, similar to what has been implanted in Venezuela, which also bans the holding or hoarding of US dollars.

“The government of President Cristina Fernandez has put itself into a trap, at some point it will have to do something: the mismatch between the two markets in untenable. Two more years of this and manufacturing will be devastated: Argentine industry has lost 30% to 40% of competitiveness in the last three, four years”, said Federico Sturzenegger, president of the Buenos Aires City bank.

However Vice-president and economist Amado Boudou stressed the “blue” dollar phenomenon is connected to speculative activities of “not more than 100 or 200 thousand people” while “the government works for 40 million Argentines”.

“The official foreign exchange policies aim at having an exchange rate which is competitive for exports but also inclusive for consumption,” he added.

“Some may want a higher exchange rate, others a lower one, but the government must work for 40 million Argentines” Boudou added. He said “prices are not raised by the government” and defended the “controls” President Cristina Fernández is implementing to “look after the people’s pockets.”

Likewise lawmaker Roberto Feletti from the ruling coalition admitted the government is having trouble offering options to promote Peso savings.

“We are in a process toward the promotion of Peso savings with different instruments we are having trouble putting forward,” the former Economy Deputy minister added.

Referring to the ‘rush’ on the dollar he said that according to Central Bank figures, in 2011, “when the exchange market was open, only 12% of the population had dollar savings”.

Feletti questioned some business groups that “seek an abrupt devaluation to benefit their businesses”. He added “they are putting pressure on the government to destabilize it and force an exit”.
    Looking Bad!

TL.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

No Such Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggar  [View Original Post]
    Hi Folk!

I am not sure but does Xoom allow one to receive US Dollars in BA, or do they hold you hostage to a rate below the BLUE?

Thanks in advance.

Jaggar.
    Xoom is paying $8.35 today and it's ALWAYS in Pesos. They close at 1 pm on Sat and closed all day on Sun.

M-F they close at 6 pm I think. Impossible to xoom yourself a load today. Maybe?

Uruguayan ATMs pay out in dollars, 1 to 1 .

TL.

Xoom

Hi Folk!

I am not sure but does Xoom allow one to receive US Dollars in BA, or do they hold you hostage to a rate below the BLUE?

Thanks in advance.

Jaggar.

Posting Limitations