Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 75 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I'm expecting my salary to arrive later this morning. I'll let you know what I get offered.
    8.25 this afternoon.

Exchange rate

Last year 6.34 three weeks ago, 7.87 and last week 8.20 All $100 and a $1000 or more. None were made on Florida or LaValle.

As to the discount, if any, you do not average the buy / sell rates on DolarBlue.net,no? Can I just look at the published rate on La Nacion, discount it by 5 cent and get a fair exchange?

It's a Market

Let me explain the best I can:

It's a market. I'm not an Argentine (or any sort of) lawyer so I'll not comment on the legality or otherwise of exchanging money other than at the white rate a little over 5.

I'll stick with practicality. Those of us lucky to have a direct line to a cueva will not want to disclose information potentially embarrassing to the cueva.

Think of the cueva as the principal. The cuevas employ "arbolitos" as agents. These are the guys who patrol Florida and Lavalle (pronounced Lavash) They need to make a little money themselves so they will offer a little less than the cueva. So talk to the arbolito and negotiate a price (they were offering me 8.0 on Sunday). Tell him how many dollars you want to exchange and he will give you a price. There may be a little room for negotiation, generally speaking $100 bills are most desired (portability) and larger amounts get a better rate.

There also some cambio places mentioned in this thread which may be principals or agents, it's a little hard to tell sometimes.

If you agree on price he will probably take you to a local storefront within a mall, take your money and ask you to wait. He will then go to the cueva with your money, or possibly to a local business owner if the has that connection, and ten minutes later will return with the agreed amount of Pesos AR.

Will he come back with the correct amount of Pesos AR? Extremely likely.

Will there be any counterfeit bills?" Unlikely but possible, but almost certainly it will be by mistake rather than malice. Could happen at a bank also.

Remember, It's a market. There is no "right price". It's just a matter of are there more Pesos looking for dollars or dollars looking for Pesos.

Good luck out there and remember to post your report!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Canardly For This Post:

Blue Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger  [View Original Post]
    Jackson,

I don't think anybody reads down to the blue dollar link.

Sort of the same mentality of the newbys asking for help without reading any posts.

Got pabulum?
    Wrong!

Yes it is helpful, but I have a question. On Precio Dolar Blue and La Nacion the current purchase rate is 8.34 and the current sell rate is 8.37. Whereas on DolarBlue.net the current purchase rate is 7.87 and the sale rate is 8.37. Last year, some person, who want to buy dollars from me, told me that you had to use DolarBlue's figures and average the sale and purchase rate on DolarBlue.net to determine the correct sell price. Using the current prices on DolarBlue.net he would buy my dollars at 8.12. Obviously this is a rip-off. No doubt there is a discount from the current published purchase price, but I believe that it should be in the range of 5-6 cents depending on the amount and denominations of the dollars involved. Thus, using a purchase price of 8.34 the price would be 8.28 or 8.29.

So after that long winded introduction what is the normal discount from the published purchase price, if any?

Blue Dollar Rate

Jackson,

I don't think anybody reads down to the blue dollar link.

Sort of the same mentality of the newbys asking for help without reading any posts.

Got pabulum?

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by MJsummit  [View Original Post]
    What is the latest blue exchange rate?

Thanks
    Gee, I wonder if those links titled "Exchange Rates" on the forum's Front Page would be of any help in answering this question?

8.1 yesterday April 8 at Scalabrini and Cervino cueva

I got 8.1 yesterday April 8 at the cueva on Scalabrini and Cervino.

Quote Originally Posted by MJsummit  [View Original Post]
    What is the latest blue exchange rate ...?
    Interested to know myself. I only change USD once a month when I get paid and it looks like I've missed out on the highs of a couple of weeks ago.

I'm expecting my salary to arrive later this morning. I'll let you know what I get offered.

Latest blue rate?

What is the latest blue exchange rate?

Thanks

Thank you.

Here's one in Recoleta: 1245 Arenales, between Talcahuano and Libertad. Very professional and located in a good neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryRory  [View Original Post]
    Landing in BA tomorrow night.. Can anybody suggest the best place to exchange money...

Just somewhere which has blue rate (or close to it) and shaft me with a heap of counterfeit money.

Much appreciated.. Probably want to exchange 1000 US for the week.

Regards.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chezz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoryRory  [View Original Post]
    Landing in BA tomorrow night.. Can anybody suggest the best place to exchange money...

Just somewhere which has blue rate (or close to it) and shaft me with a heap of counterfeit money.

Regards.
    Hi Rory.

I am an airport chauffeur here, and I'll be heading into EZE from the CITY at 5:45 PM, let me know if you would like to take advantage of my transfer service at a lower rate than normal since I will be there anyway, and I may also be able to assist you with $ exchange, so you will be ready to go from the start. The sooner I know the better so we can make the necessary arrangements.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Money exchange

Regards.

7.5 last October

Quote Originally Posted by FrankAndStein  [View Original Post]
    I changed a bunch of currencies at the same place (cervino) at the same time, so not sure exactly but it was over 10. Maybe 10.5?

They also changed some brazilian currency for me that I had left over. All at 'blue' rates of course.

And yes, a cop opened the door for me, so it isn't exactly being pressured to close, at least not yet.
    Wow! Was 7.5 last October.

Over 10

Quote Originally Posted by OldCoach  [View Original Post]
    Anyone know the current blue rate for Euros?
    I changed a bunch of currencies at the same place (cervino) at the same time, so not sure exactly but it was over 10. Maybe 10.5?

They also changed some brazilian currency for me that I had left over. All at 'blue' rates of course.

And yes, a cop opened the door for me, so it isn't exactly being pressured to close, at least not yet.

Posting Limitations