Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 78 of 137 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionadwc  [View Original Post]
    Got 7.75 there today.
    How much did you exchange to get that rate?

Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino

Got 7.75 there today.

Cambios near Recoleta

Guys- Can anyone please tell me are there any trustworthy cambios in Recoleta where I can get a good exchange rate.

Thanks.

Florida / Cordoba Ave

Changed in Cordoba / Florida 500 $ for 7.7 today.

7.60 Today

Got 7.60 this afternoon changing $800 USD at Arenales and Libertad.

I don't think that you have to say cambio.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalNomad5  [View Original Post]
    Thanks again for all the info. I've studied the maps and plan to walk as much as possible (for exercise's sake if nothing else).

I have no doubt I'll find the place, my only concern was, will I be able to explain what I need when I get there. Or is it enough to just show some dollars and say "cambio"?

Thanks again for all the info. I've studied the maps and plan to walk as much as possible (for exercise's sake if nothing else).

I have no doubt I'll find the place, my only concern was, will I be able to explain what I need when I get there. Or is it enough to just show some dollars and say "cambio"?

Quote Originally Posted by WildWalleye  [View Original Post]
    Global:

I have yet to encounter an Argie cabby who spoke any English, during my 30 or so visits to Bs As. However, as the guys who have met me in Bs As can attest, my Spanish skills are abysmal. I haven't had any problem with any cabby, so far. However, it is to your benefit to familiarize yourself with the map of the city, major roads, intersections and landmarks (e.g. Florida, Ste Fe, Recoleta Cemetery, etc).

If you are getting near your destination and the driver starts babbling and pointing with his finger (towards the far side of the intersection) you can tell him "here" by saying "aqui" (pronounced "ah-key") or "there" by saying "alli" (pronounced "ah-ghee").

Thanks for the info Bob. I assume I can get by there with minimal Spanish, right?
    Global:

I have yet to encounter an Argie cabby who spoke any English, during my 30 or so visits to Bs As. However, as the guys who have met me in Bs As can attest, my Spanish skills are abysmal. I haven't had any problem with any cabby, so far. However, it is to your benefit to familiarize yourself with the map of the city, major roads, intersections and landmarks (e.g. Florida, Ste Fe, Recoleta Cemetery, etc).

If you are getting near your destination and the driver starts babbling and pointing with his finger (towards the far side of the intersection) you can tell him "here" by saying "aqui" (pronounced "ah-key") or "there" by saying "alli" (pronounced "ah-ghee").

Cervino and Scalabrini Ortiz

Got 7.6 there today.

If you are close enough to walk all you should need is a map. If you use a cab write down the intersection and show that to the driver. His meter will display the fare. He might ask you something, like which side of the street, but it shouldn't be anything critical and they are used to passengers which don't speak Spanish.

Bob.

Thanks for the info Bob. I assume I can get by there with minimal Spanish, right?

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    I don't recall any sign on the cueva, but it's next door to the Freddo's which does have a prominent sign. (Freddo is a chain of ice cream parlors here.) As you are facing Freddo's it's to the left. You have to push a buzzer to the left of the door to be let in. The door is glass and I think that the entire front of the place is glass and you can see two tellers' windows through the door / window.

Bob.

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo

I don't recall any sign on the cueva, but it's next door to the Freddo's which does have a prominent sign. (Freddo is a chain of ice cream parlors here.) As you are facing Freddo's it's to the left. You have to push a buzzer to the left of the door to be let in. The door is glass and I think that the entire front of the place is glass and you can see two tellers' windows through the door / window.

Bob.

I'll be visiting BsAs in a couple of weeks and it's clear after reading this forum that "cuevas" are the place to exchange money.

I see this particular one mentioned quite a lot, and I will be staying in the vicinity of that intersection (Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo). But how do I find this cueva? I assume there are lots of storefronts on all 4 corners of that intersection. Feel free to PM if this info is too sensitive for a public forum.

Thanks in advance.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AllIWantIsLove For This Post:

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo. Specifics?

I'll be visiting BsAs in a couple of weeks and it's clear after reading this forum that "cuevas" are the place to exchange money.

I see this particular one mentioned quite a lot, and I will be staying in the vicinity of that intersection (Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo). But how do I find this cueva? I assume there are lots of storefronts on all 4 corners of that intersection. Feel free to PM if this info is too sensitive for a public forum.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    That was for $400 US. Three 100s and two 50s, although I doubt that the 50s changed the rate. (He wouldn't take the 200 dollar bill.)

Bob

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GlobalNomad5 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?
    Because to trade pesos back to dollars at a "official" casa de cambio or bank you need the receipt showing that you you traded dollars for pesos to begin with "at the official rate" . They are stupid, but not that stupid.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

Black Market

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?
    If a person could get all the dollars he wanted to exchange for pesos, there would be no black market. That is an oversimplification, but enough to answer the question.

Tres3.

Posting Limitations