Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 79 of 137 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortguy  [View Original Post]
    I will be in BA in a few weeks and have always bought pesos at official change houses. How do you know if you are getting counterfit pesos or the real deal at a cueva?
    Always check your bills before you leave. Fake bills are easy to spot. Real bills have a reflective metal strip. If you hold a real bill up to the light you will see a watermark of some guys face. It is very easy to spot a fake bill if you just take 1 second to look.

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?
    You're missing the point. The reason the "unofficial cambios" pay more for USD is because it's the only way to get USD in Argentina. You can't exchange Argentina Pesos for Dollars. Argentina Pesos are not worth anything outside of Argentina. All those kiosks at the airport that exchange currency, they won't take your leftover pesos either.

Quote Originally Posted by DashingDon  [View Original Post]
    Is Jackson still in that apt across from the cemetary? I haven't been or read about the scene in 8 or so years.
    New Jackson is a multi-milionaire now. He owns many businesses in many different industries and lives in a posh mansion. He is, what success stories are made of. Everything has changed. Welcome back to BA.

Exchanging currency

So why can't I spend a day going back and forth between the unofficial and official cambios and have enough pesos for my trip and go home with more dollars than I came with?

What goes wrong and lands me in jail?

I Always Use the Same Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Shortguy  [View Original Post]
    I will be in BA in a few weeks and have always bought pesos at official change houses. How do you know if you are getting counterfit pesos or the real deal at a cueva?
    We just always go to the same places once we find a decent rate. The difference between the official rate and the black market makes it a worthwhile gamble.

Good Luck,

TL.

Heard $7.77 yesterday.

Counterfeit Currency

Thanks for that, Sportsman. I had no idea about the unofficial / official rates.

I first visited Argentina in '96 and it was one peso for one dollar. Very expensive. Then, in the early 2000's, the ISG was on fire about BA and the financial crisis and whatnot. It was 4 pesos to the dollar but no unofficial rate and girls were hooking all over. A guy by the name of Saint posted great reports and tons of guys went down there and we all had a lot of fun. Jackson used to organize the 'Clarin parties' etc and we'd go to steakhouses in the evenings.

At the risk of being told to read 8 years of trip reports, what is the scene like now? Cheap steaks and casa hookers? Is Jackson still in that apt across from the cemetary? I haven't been or read about the scene in 8 or so years. I'm looking to arrive in mid April. Is it just for millionaires now?

Illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman  [View Original Post]
    5 pesos to 1 dollar is the official exchange rate. That's the exchange rate when withdrawling money from ATM and using US credit card. 7 plus to one is the unofficial exchange rate (blue rate). That's what you get when exchanging cash at the unofficial exchange places in the city. They are called cueva (cave) . They are officially illegal, but so is prostitution in Argentina. So take that for what it's worth.
    Seems all my posts lately start flame wars and I'm hoping this doesn't. Prostitution isn't illegal here, pandering is, but not prostitution. Also the blue rate is what cuevas are changing money for, Joe Schmo on the street is going to get a little lower than blue for 50's and 100's, slightly less for 20's.

Hi Guys,

I used to be a regular visitor in the early 2000 s and am contemplating a visit in a few weeks. I checked online and the rates are about 5 pesos to a dollar, yet all the posters here mention a rate in excess of 7. What gives?
    5 pesos to 1 dollar is the official exchange rate. That's the exchange rate when withdrawling money from ATM and using US credit card. 7 plus to one is the unofficial exchange rate (blue rate). That's what you get when exchanging cash at the unofficial exchange places in the city. They are called cueva (cave) . They are officially illegal, but so is prostitution in Argentina. So take that for what it's worth.

Fuck 5 To One!

Hi Guys,

I used to be a regular visitor in the early 2000 s and am contemplating a visit in a few weeks. I checked online and the rates are about 5 pesos to a dollar, yet all the posters here mention a rate in excess of 7. What gives?
    A friend of ours got 7.77 today but he moves a lot of dollars on a regular basis.

I can maybe get you 7.60 but I never know what's going to happen.

Anything over 7.5 is worth while.

TL.

Hi Guys,

Scalabrini Ortiz & Cerviņo. 7.6 Today (Wed. Feb 27,2013) Early in the PM

That was for $400 US. Three 100s and two 50s, although I doubt that the 50s changed the rate. (He wouldn't take the 200 dollar bill.)

Bob

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AllIWantIsLove For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lionadwc  [View Original Post]
    Hi, what are the chances of getting new pesos in these cambios, and is it worthwhile going for large amounts in one fell swoop, e.g. 6,000 US?
    I haven't gotten any new of the bills yet. Personally I wouldn't change that much at a single time, a little too dangerous to carry that much on your person, plus the rate is ever changing but right now seems to be moving upwards...

Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Lionadwc  [View Original Post]
    Hi, what are the chances of getting new pesos in these cambios, and is it worthwhile going for large amounts in one fell swoop, e.g. 6,000 US?
    I wouldn't though, that's a lot of cash to have on hand, the exchange is going up (7.6 today, 7.7 in a couple days ect. Personally I wouldn't change more than 500-1000 unless you have some big planned expenditure or are the kind of person that never leaves the house and just gets chicas that do delivery. Also it would be a pain in the ass to check that many bills at one time and everybody near the cambio would see you checking a never ending amount of pesos.

Unless you have a reason for wanting some of the new pesos I have heard (from the guy at the Arenales house) that there are places (their house) that won't take them. Though to be fair, I haven't heard that from anybody else except him.

Pristine pesos

Posting Limitations