Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 86 of 137 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Cambio

$6. 50 to 1 today in Moreno

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    No, it's a different one. I'm using the cueva on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. I got 6.50 at 1pm.
    Just arrived in BA and went to Arenales and got 6.50, changing $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    Had no issue entering Argentina with declared cash well in excess of $10k+ USD. Other than the somewhat amused shock and awe from the officials that I was actually declaring. The only questions I was asked after submitting my declaration form was what I was going to be spending this money on while in Argentina. I told them cash rental apartment and chicas at boliches. They just laughed and wanted to know which boliches I liked best.
    This works at Xoom as well. The last time they called me asking what the money was for I said "whiskey and putas." The guy said "que?" And I said "beer and hookers" in English. When I picked up the money, no problems at all and nobody has ever called me since and I've never had to stand at the window waiting while the person behind the glass called somebody about my money.

Gimmy a call

I'll have to try this one next time. Any landmark or helpful markers to spot this one?
    It's not far from the house, I'll show you next time you need to go.

For Argentina, there is no rule requiring proving provenance of the cash assets you wish to declare and bring in. All that is required is your declaration form OM 2087.
    When I first arrived here 6 years ago I entered twice with 10k+ and was asked to provide evidence of where it came from. Admittedly they weren't very thorough and were easily satisfied with some un-translated paperwork referring to a property sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    You can bring in as much cash as you can carry, but if it's USD10, 000 or more you have to declare it and be prepared to prove its provenance.
    For Argentina, there is no rule requiring proving provenance of the cash assets you wish to declare and bring in. All that is required is your declaration form OM 2087. Same for the half dozen euro coutries I've declared in.

The sole criteria for bringing in cash is noted on AFIP English site: http://www.afip.gob.ar/english/touristInformation.asp

Under the section "Negotiable Instruments you may bring into or take out of the country". There are no regs listed for proving your own funds. Maybe there are some drug / money laundering statues that allow for demanding provenance but if so never seen it listed or had it asked.

Aug 2012. Had no issue entering Argentina with declared cash well in excess of $10k+ USD. Other than the somewhat amused shock and awe from the officials that I was actually declaring. The only questions I was asked after submitting my declaration form was what I was going to be spending this money on while in Argentina. I told them cash rental apartment and chicas at boliches. They just laughed and wanted to know which boliches I liked best.

It's virtually impossible to change UK£ at a decent rate. Nobody wants them.

You can bring in as much cash as you can carry, but if it's USD10, 000 or more you have to declare it and be prepared to prove its provenance.
    This is true, best to change your pounds to dollars before you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold Focker  [View Original Post]
    Anybody know what the unofficial rate for the UK £ is?

The official rate is 8.

I have not been to BA now for about 7yrs. How much Cash can you take into the country Legally?
    It's virtually impossible to change UK£ at a decent rate. Nobody wants them.

Basement level close to Florida and Cordoba

I didn't get the name of the place, but it is located on the basement level of a shopping center a few shops north of the Florida and Cordoba intersection across from Galerias Pacifico. The touts on the corner will take you there (or you can go on your own) to where two dudes at a kiosko exchange at ongoing parallel rates paying higher for $50 and $100 USD bills. I went there twice and all the Argentine Peso bills I got were good. I checked them at a close-to-corner store 1 block east on San Martin. The lady there has a machine that verifies the bills. You could buy a soda or candy from her.

No, it's a different one. I'm using the cueva on Arenales between Talcahuano and Libertad. I got 6.50 at 1pm.
    I'll have to try this one next time. Any landmark or helpful markers to spot this one?

How do you know whether or not they have? And yes, I have read this thread and understand the difference between the rates posted on some currency-exchange website and what's actually available on the street. But because of the recent volatility, those numbers didn't sound too far-fetched.

Aqualung, if you're getting that rate today, my hat's off to you, sir.
    It depends on who you know. The cuevas or arbolitos are just making a living or a little something extra on the side. I know the traders they sell to and go directly to them. When I have currency (or gold) to sell I usually just leave it with them early and pick up the money at closing time. They always give me the best rate of the day.

The 6. 89/6. 91 buy / sell rate posted on the site Aqualung mentioned is not what you will get at a "cueva". At black market establishments such as a "cueva" the buy / sell spread is going to have at least a ten basis point difference and probably twenty or thirty basis point difference under most circumstances. I would guess that at today's close the buy / sell rates would be about 6. 50/6. 85 which means if you have dollars and want to buy pesos you would get the former and if you have pesos and need to buy dollars you get the latter.

It's the "coin store" in recoleta but not on arenales. On Junin between Vicente Lopez and Las Heras.

Prob same one and you're just thinking arenales. If so, I'd assume they'd fluctuate rates even on same day depending how much supply they have on hand plus what kind of mark they think the customer is.

I was ready to walk. They bumped the intro 6. 3 and offered me max 6. 4 at noon'ish when I was there today. 6.4 was what I wanted so didn't try another raise or walk counter.

No they haven't. They're not.

Those dollar-blue rate web-sites bear no relation whatsoever to the rate you're going to get on the street. As has been said many times before on this thread.
    How do you know whether or not they have? And yes, I have read this thread and understand the difference between the rates posted on some currency-exchange website and what's actually available on the street. But because of the recent volatility, those numbers didn't sound too far-fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung  [View Original Post]
    I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't exchanged today at that rate.
    Aqualung, if you're getting that rate today, my hat's off to you, sir.

Rate for the £

Anybody know what the unofficial rate for the UK £ is?

The official rate is 8.

I have not been to BA now for about 7yrs. How much Cash can you take into the country Legally?

Posting Limitations