Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 88 of 137 FirstFirst ... 38 78 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Conchuir  [View Original Post]
    Set to visit later in the month. Where exactly in Recoleta is this Coin Store / Exchange Shop located. Thanks for your help.
    On Junin, past Vicente Lopez and before Las Heras.

Walk down Junin on left side of street relative to Recoleta Village mall on right side. Approximately 10 meters before corner of Junin and Las Heras there's a white frosted window door. Right after a small kiosco. If you see a metal shutter where the window door ought to be, you've come when they are closed.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    I got 6.4 today at one of my places in Recoleta.

6.40 today at the hole in the wall in Moreno. Up 10 cents from last week.

Coin Store

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    Got Xoom today for over 6. 3, and at the coin store cueva in recoleta 6. 2.

Odd deviation from other times I've exchanged here though was today the same young guy behind window barked at me loudly to leave when I as usual after changing started to do quick count and spot check of bills. Only 3100p so wasn't going to be huge long count.

He said "gracias, adios" after 5 sec of me counting, then much louder "gracias, adios!" at what I'd call 3/4 of normal room yell decibel. So I gave up at half count and left. For whatever reason, unlike other times when I've been allowed to, today they really got pissed and didn't want any counting done at the window.

Fwiw there was no long line behind me, just one other female tourist in waiting room.
    Set to visit later in the month. Where exactly in Recoleta is this Coin Store / Exchange Shop located. Thanks for your help.

Coin store cueva update

Got Xoom today for over 6. 3, and at the coin store cueva in recoleta 6. 2.

Odd deviation from other times I've exchanged here though was today the same young guy behind window barked at me loudly to leave when I as usual after changing started to do quick count and spot check of bills. Only 3100p so wasn't going to be huge long count.

He said "gracias, adios" after 5 sec of me counting, then much louder "gracias, adios!" at what I'd call 3/4 of normal room yell decibel. So I gave up at half count and left. For whatever reason, unlike other times when I've been allowed to, today they really got pissed and didn't want any counting done at the window.

Fwiw there was no long line behind me, just one other female tourist in waiting room.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus  [View Original Post]
    DavieW, thanks for your message. You're right of course. The concept of the present value of money is alien to them. I've been to all but 3 countries in South America and to 95% of the folks it's a zero sum game. They win. We lose. I just spent the last 30 minutes pulling the details of the pricing out of one of the companies. After them beating around the Bush they finally admitted that I could pay in pesos however at a (to be determined) rate somewhere between the official and the black market rates. Gee, I wonder on what side of the spectrum the rate will fall. I'll ask the owner to reduce the price or accept the official exchange rate. Likely futile but it doesn't hurt to ask. For just three months, I may just bring dollars to avoid the hassle.

It sounds like there is a great American ex-pat community in BA and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys. Thanks again!
    The rate they will want to convert the USD price to AR pesos is called the "celeste" rate, which is the rate being used for real estate transactions (rentals, and buying / selling). According to dolarblue. Net today's celeste rate is 5, 77.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeOilSales For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I absolutely GUARANTEE that they'd rather have NO business than business where they feel like you've come out slightly ahead. There's no logic whatsoever in the Argentine psyche.

I once made an offer on an apartment that had been empty and on the market for 8 months. I offered 10% less than they were asking and offered to pay the entire 2 years rent up-front. They turned it down, saying there's no way they'd accept a lower figure, and it's still empty 6 months later.
    In nearly a decade living in Buenos Aires I find this generally not to be the case. I have negotiated and signed numerous residential and commercial leases and in every instance I was able to beat down the realtor and / or owner to a lower price. YMMV, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    I absolutely GUARANTEE that they'd rather have NO business than business where they feel like you've come out slightly ahead. There's no logic whatsoever in the Argentine psyche.

I once made an offer on an apartment that had been empty and on the market for 8 months. I offered 10% less than they were asking and offered to pay the entire 2 years rent up-front. They turned it down, saying there's no way they'd accept a lower figure, and it's still empty 6 months later.
    DavieW, thanks for your message. You're right of course. The concept of the present value of money is alien to them. I've been to all but 3 countries in South America and to 95% of the folks it's a zero sum game. They win. We lose. I just spent the last 30 minutes pulling the details of the pricing out of one of the companies. After them beating around the Bush they finally admitted that I could pay in pesos however at a (to be determined) rate somewhere between the official and the black market rates. Gee, I wonder on what side of the spectrum the rate will fall. I'll ask the owner to reduce the price or accept the official exchange rate. Likely futile but it doesn't hurt to ask. For just three months, I may just bring dollars to avoid the hassle.

It sounds like there is a great American ex-pat community in BA and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys. Thanks again!

I'll contact the company today to say that I can only pay in pesos. We'll see how bad they want the business.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    It is illegal to require anything to be paid in Argentina in any currency other than Argentine Pesos. Furthermore, any bills presented in USD legally are required to be closed out in AR Pesos at the OFFICIAL rate. For example, if you buy an imported car quoted by the dealer in USD, you actually are required to be for the car in AR Pesos, converted from the quoted USD price at the official rate. If the apartment rental company gives you any shit tell them you will make a denuncia against them at this site:

http://www.consumidor.gov.ar/como-denunciar/

And / or that you will make another denuncia against them to the AFIP and the BCRA.

http://www.afip.gov.ar/guiaDeServici.../Denuncias.pdf
    I appreciate your response. The corruptions and conniving are probably worse here in Bolivia. And just when you think that you know all the tricks they develop new ones. After a while you have to start thinking like them just to stay on par. I'll subtly mention to the rental company that I am aware (thanks to you guys) what the rules are with respect to transactions being conducted only in pesos. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Almost all of them are SNAKES. But you won't be able to apply any pressure to force them beyond threatening to rent elsewhere which probably won't work. Before you go to pay them, write down all the serial numbers of the dollars you intend to pay with, photocopying them is a good idea as well. DO NOT let them count them alone! Sit down and have them examine your money and mark the list of recorded serial numbers as they accept them. Also on your reciept have them record the serial numbers of the dollars of the deposit so you get those back when you leave.
    Thanks for the information and advice. I'll contact the company today to say that I can only pay in pesos. We'll see how bad they want the business.

Snake is 100% correct

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    It is illegal to require anything to be paid in Argentina in any currency other than Argentine Pesos. Furthermore, any bills presented in USD legally are required to be closed out in AR Pesos at the OFFICIAL rate. For example, if you buy an imported car quoted by the dealer in USD, you actually are required to be for the car in AR Pesos, converted from the quoted USD price at the official rate. If the apartment rental company gives you any shit tell them you will make a denuncia against them at this site:

http://www.consumidor.gov.ar/como-denunciar/

And / or that you will make another denuncia against them to the AFIP and the BCRA.

http://www.afip.gov.ar/guiaDeServici.../Denuncias.pdf
    Just as in the US with dollars, pesos are the official coin of the relm here. If you choose to do this I will be interested in the outcome. In my experience it's nearly impossible and almost always futile to try and force somebody here to hold to the letter of the law."Hecho la le, hecho la trampa."

I didn't know where else to pigeonhole this inquiry so here goes. I am currently in Bolivia where I can get dollars from an ATM machine and legally exchange them at approx. $1 to 6. 8 Argentine pesos. I've been looking at some nice on-line BA rentals; priced in dollars. The company wants 20% of the total 3 month rental amount to be wired into their USA bank to hold the reservation. Fair enough. But for the remaining 80% plus a $700 security deposit, payable in full upon arrival, the company will only accept dollars or euros. Of course I would rather pay these amounts with the 40% cheaper Argentine pesos that I can buy here in Bolivia. My porteņo neighbor suggested that it now may be essentially prohibited for (reputable) Argentine companies to demand dollars for purchases or services. I realize that in the real world that dollars will always remain in demand. Perhaps the rental company wants to exchange my dollars at the higher unofficial rate, pay the apartment owner in pesos at the lower official rate and then pocket the approx. 40% difference. I am looking for a valid reason to say that I can only pay with (discounted) Argentine pesos. Is it prohibited to conduct transactions in dollars? Any suggestions on how to work around this? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.
    It is illegal to require anything to be paid in Argentina in any currency other than Argentine Pesos. Furthermore, any bills presented in USD legally are required to be closed out in AR Pesos at the OFFICIAL rate. For example, if you buy an imported car quoted by the dealer in USD, you actually are required to be for the car in AR Pesos, converted from the quoted USD price at the official rate. If the apartment rental company gives you any shit tell them you will make a denuncia against them at this site: http://www.consumidor.gov.ar/como-denunciar/ And / or that you will make another denuncia against them to the AFIP and the BCRA http://www.afip.gov.ar/guiaDeServici.../Denuncias.pdf

You're prolly right on about what the agent will do

I didn't know where else to pigeonhole this inquiry so here goes. I am currently in Bolivia where I can get dollars from an ATM machine and legally exchange them at approx. $1 to 6. 8 Argentine pesos. I've been looking at some nice on-line BA rentals; priced in dollars. The company wants 20% of the total 3 month rental amount to be wired into their USA bank to hold the reservation. Fair enough. But for the remaining 80% plus a $700 security deposit, payable in full upon arrival, the company will only accept dollars or euros. Of course I would rather pay these amounts with the 40% cheaper Argentine pesos that I can buy here in Bolivia. My porteņo neighbor suggested that it now may be essentially prohibited for (reputable) Argentine companies to demand dollars for purchases or services. I realize that in the real world that dollars will always remain in demand. Perhaps the rental company wants to exchange my dollars at the higher unofficial rate, pay the apartment owner in pesos at the lower official rate and then pocket the approx. 40% difference. I am looking for a valid reason to say that I can only pay with (discounted) Argentine pesos. Is it prohibited to conduct transactions in dollars? Any suggestions on how to work around this? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas to all.
    Almost all of them are SNAKES. But you won't be able to apply any pressure to force them beyond threatening to rent elsewhere which probably won't work. Before you go to pay them, write down all the serial numbers of the dollars you intend to pay with, photocopying them is a good idea as well. DO NOT let them count them alone! Sit down and have them examine your money and mark the list of recorded serial numbers as they accept them. Also on your reciept have them record the serial numbers of the dollars of the deposit so you get those back when you leave.

Paying in dollars vs. Pesos

Posting Limitations