Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Small Experiment

Exchanged currency on Saturday January 21. I received 16.60 pesos per $ on Lavalle. Using my Schwab ATM with no foreign exchange fees or ATM fees I received 15.82 pesos per $.

Quote Originally Posted by Esten  [View Original Post]
    I brought about $1500 down and exchanged three times. Twice earlier in the week at 15.1 and 15.2. Later in the week got 15.4 at a different place. Both places were on Lavalle. This was all with 20s, I totally forgot to bring 100s, which would likely have got me a better rate. Not a big deal, probably a $20 difference. The "cambio cambio" guys are still out in full force..
    $1500 in 20s - will that even fit/fold in a wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11  [View Original Post]
    On Monday I got 16.00 and on wed I got 16.10 at 860 Florida. I have used this guy for several years I always exchange three hundred us and during the blue days he always seemed a little higher than others and now he seems right at the official exchange rate. When you enter this small shopping mall, Galeria el sol Walt to the last door on the right.
    That's definitely an upward change from 3 weeks ago. Don't know if that will make things cheaper in BA.

Currency exchange

On Monday I got 16.00 and on wed I got 16.10 at 860 Florida. I have used this guy for several years I always exchange three hundred us and during the blue days he always seemed a little higher than others and now he seems right at the official exchange rate. When you enter this small shopping mall, Galeria el sol Walt to the last door on the right.

Xchange rate

On the Bloomberg exchange it sez the argentine exchange rate is 15.99. Is anybody getting that or anything even close to that now?

Extra Pesos

Howdy ,

If anyone needs to exchange a few pesos for this long weekend you can send me a message .

I am just trying to help a friend of ours that is leaving the country tomorrow morning .

Maybe 7000 so its just a little pocket change but completely worthless outside of the country.

Thanks ,

TL

Whatsapp is the Best way to communicate .

+54 911 6116 4254

Glad I brought dollars

I brought about $1500 down and exchanged three times. Twice earlier in the week at 15.1 and 15.2. Later in the week got 15.4 at a different place. Both places were on Lavalle. This was all with 20s, I totally forgot to bring 100s, which would likely have got me a better rate. Not a big deal, probably a $20 difference. The "cambio cambio" guys are still out in full force.

Have done a few ATM withdrawals as well. The most I have been able to withdraw at one time is 2000 pesos which is a poor deal. Each withdrawl you get the $6 (94.20 pesos) local bank charge. Have yet to see what my bank charged, but suspect the net rate will be lower than 15.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Esten For This Post:

Nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityDav  [View Original Post]
    Hi, I almost always use ATMs when travelling. My bank has not transaction fees and even rebates any ATM fees charged. But seems the consensus here is cash is king in BA. Is that true. Can anyone recommend the best place to get a good rate in Retiro?
    There are no good rates right now and I don't know anyplace I would change money in retiro.

Retiro is really close to all of the places guys have talked about changing money on this thread.

Cash vs ATMs and best place in Retiro?

Hi, I almost always use ATMs when travelling. My bank has not transaction fees and even rebates any ATM fees charged. But seems the consensus here is cash is king in BA. Is that true. Can anyone recommend the best place to get a good rate in Retiro?

$15.20 to 1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbear  [View Original Post]
    Guys,

What is the exchange rate now? Where is the best place?
    Found $15.20 this afternoon.

It was not my money so I did not even check anywhere else.

TL.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Rate

Guys,

What is the exchange rate now? Where is the best place?

I think I just set a record for worst exchange rate ever.

I pulled 2,000 pesos out of Santander ATM (that's the max) and the total that came out of my bank, including 3 fees, was USD 152.40.

So the effective rate was 13.12, about a 13% haircut off official.

I haven't used an ATM in Argentina for years, so I wanted to try. Lesson learned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    For now with the blue and the official rate almost the same, and you can do transfers without a lot of hassles money should not be a issue . But remember to keep a reserve because the banks are always going on strike or the ATMs are always empty, et., etc.. This after all is Argentina, always have a plan B!
    Hi Gandolf, thank you for your reply. When you say keep reserve, I guess you mean little bit of pesos(because of inflation) but mostly USD right? Is there a way to get USD down there either through ATM or from the bank, when I have Canadian account? Because I would assume that I can only take out pesos from ATMs.

Thank you.

Schwab Card

That's okay. I'm glad you brought all this to my attention. I've started using my Schwab debit card on this trip because of your info., and I get the Visa exchange rate (which was $14.87 today).

https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...Exchange+Rates

http://www.ambito.com

Plus Schwab refunds all bank fees and there are no foreign exchange fees. So except for only being able to withdraw 2000 pesos each time, it's the best deal and there are several banks and ATMs around my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore  [View Original Post]
    Sorry I didn't know that. I am a client but I was already there for another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus8  [View Original Post]
    Hello,

I am comming to Buenos Aires on 21st of July and I expect to sepnd quite some time there (going to teach English), and I wanted to ask you about the situation in Argentina right now. I have Canadian account where I have most of my savings, so I wanted to know, whether it is ok to just come there with my card and echange money there, or if I should exchange some USD beforehand. I intend to stay there at least half year. Thank you.
    For now with the blue and the official rate almost the same, and you can do transfers without a lot of hassles money should not be a issue . But remember to keep a reserve because the banks are always going on strike or the ATMs are always empty, et., etc.. This after all is Argentina, always have a plan B!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

Posting Limitations