+ Submit Report
Page 91 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Clarify please

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    *shakes head*

What a chancer. Why am I not surprised!

I was offered 6. 36 on the street and got 6. 44 at my usual place yesterday.
    I suspect this is a moderate insult, but I'm not exactly sure what a "chancer" is. I suspect it's somewhere between a Whanker and a Crusty Dragon but I would like to know.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Call me if you'd like.

Got $6. 30 to $1. 0 yesterday, about 10 min. From the AP House, walking.

Thanks,

TL.

4 381 2145.

156 116 4254
    *shakes head*

What a chancer. Why am I not surprised!

I was offered 6. 36 on the street and got 6. 44 at my usual place yesterday.

Call me

Quote Originally Posted by Flsailor  [View Original Post]
    Besides the place in Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino that has been reported in this site, can anybody recommend other places where I can exchange USD at the 'parallel market' rate? I will be passing BA Wednesday just for one day and I would like to have more than one option. Thanks in advance!
    Call me if you'd like.

Got $6. 30 to $1. 0 yesterday, about 10 min. From the AP House, walking.

Thanks,

TL.

4 381 2145.

156 116 4254

Exchanging currency in the 'mercado paralelo'

Besides the place in Scalabrini Ortiz and Cervino that has been reported in this site, can anybody recommend other places where I can exchange USD at the 'parallel market' rate? I will be passing BA Wednesday just for one day and I would like to have more than one option. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Argasssaa  [View Original Post]
    I have read in some of the posts in this forum that the exc0hange rate for dollar is around 6 pesos. But when I chrck the yahoo currency exchange, it is only around 4. 80 pesos. I'm confused. Is it the street rate which is that different than official bank rate?
    Yes, there is a parallel market going on here, make sure to bring cash, USD in big bills to take full advantage of this big premium you will get. Try to minimize using ATM's and Credit Cards as you will only get the official rate, less fees.

What the current exchange rate?

I have read in some of the posts in this forum that the exc0hange rate for dollar is around 6 pesos. But when I chrck the yahoo currency exchange, it is only around 4. 80 pesos. I'm confused. Is it the street rate which is that different than official bank rate?

I don't really blame guys like Fred and Ramiro who have to find and live off pesos. When I was down there I had dollars flowing in magically. Sometimes I attempted to earn some pesos to augment the dollars, so I can see how hard it is to make a living down there. Fred has it even tougher because he has a high-end product and those don't do well in collapsing economies. So he has to annoy a hundred posters to maybe successfully capture one newbie.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    What does this post have to do with exchanging currency? Are you now spamming the board Fred? Please stop! Stay on your thread unless you want to address the subject being discussed. You wonder why most don't use your overpriced services. Back to your thread taxi chulo! Toymann
    Couldn't agree more, Toymann. You wrote exactly what I thought.

I want to add that I have used taxis for 5 yrs in BA and in fact I mostly use taxis for my transportation. And no radio taxi. I just hail them on the road. I have absolutely no incident to report. I find the drivers extremely polite and helpful. After having used taxis over a 100 world cities, I find BA taxis amongst the better ones I have used.

I have noticed over the years that Fred has always tried to create fear mongering amongst readers here and at BA expats about using local taxis in order to jack up his market. I absolutely dislike this kind of "pimping".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #3320 For This Post:

Maybe but it's a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    He was responding to people that have been passed fake bills from tacheros. It's a reach but daddy thinks he made it.
    Just sounds like the same old pitch to me daddy. Airbags, bad divers, yada, yada. With taxi rip off info that ha been mentioned over and over on the forum for years now. Nothing new but the airbags! LOL. Toymann

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toymann For This Post:

He did

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    What does this post have to do with exchanging currency? Are you now spamming the board Fred? Please stop! Stay on your thread unless you want to address the subject being discussed. You wonder why most don't use your overpriced services. Back to your thread taxi chulo! Toymann
    He was responding to people that have been passed fake bills from tacheros. It's a reach but daddy thinks he made it.

Fred. Are you the new Ramiro? Taxi pimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    After hearing so many reports of sleazebag black and yellow cab drivers passing fakes, running double speed meters, driving beat up cabs with bald tires, shot suspensions, and worst of all, driving like morons, often with their headlights off during nighttime. Beware, many black and yellow cabs do not have headrests, putting you at risk for whiplash. Granted, there are many good drivers and cabs out there too, yes, but the above problems inspired me to provide something better, a private, premium car service, here in Buenos Aires. At SilverStar, we do the opposite when it comes to fake money, we actually show you specimen fakes, so you know what you are up against in the real world and hopefully avoid getting scammed down the road. We speak English, drive safe, have awesome, well maintained cars, with airbags and A / C, plus we are very serious about punctuality. If you are a premium traveler who wants the best value in a fully licnesed and insured premium car service, please consider us, we can help you avoid getting scammed with fake bills, etc.

www.silverstarcar.com

What

Fully Licensed and Insured (Unlike many other low end car services here)

Serving Buenos Aires Premium Travelers Since 2009

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toymann For This Post:

[QUOTE=Dickhead; 429968]That's a good point and the USD used to be a lot easier to counterfeit and would have been higher up on the list say 10 years ago.

Because 60% of USD circulates outside the country,

So, the USA does have an export economy then, exports of pretty cool looking green pieces of paper with value more than the paper itself, that's a pretty cool gig.

Pretty cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin  [View Original Post]
    If you travel and unfamiliar with the local currency, you might eventually find yourself in possession of counterfeit currency. Here's an interesting article from the New York Times, but re-posted and linked to the Seattle Times (unlike the NYT, no pay-per-view registration needed). The article reminded me of my first trip to Argentina about 15 years ago when I was given counterfeit pesos by a cab driver. I complained to everyone about being given the counterfeit money, but all I got was the 'you're a dumb-ass' look.

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...oney30xml.html

According to the article, the London-based global foreign exchange company Travelex says that the counterfeit currencies it sees most often are the euro, British pound, Mexican peso, Argentine peso, Peruvian sol and Chinese yuan. Since everything else in China is counterfeited, I shouldn't have been surprised about the Chinese yuan being widely counterfeited but I was. I was also surprised that the US dollar wasn't high on the list.
    After hearing so many reports of sleazebag black and yellow cab drivers passing fakes, running double speed meters, driving beat up cabs with bald tires, shot suspensions, and worst of all, driving like morons, often with their headlights off during nighttime. Beware, many black and yellow cabs do not have headrests, putting you at risk for whiplash. Granted, there are many good drivers and cabs out there too, yes, but the above problems inspired me to provide something better, a private, premium car service, here in Buenos Aires. At SilverStar, we do the opposite when it comes to fake money, we actually show you specimen fakes, so you know what you are up against in the real world and hopefully avoid getting scammed down the road. We speak English, drive safe, have awesome, well maintained cars, with airbags and A / C, plus we are very serious about punctuality. If you are a premium traveler who wants the best value in a fully licnesed and insured premium car service, please consider us, we can help you avoid getting scammed with fake bills, etc.

www.silverstarcar.com

Fully Licensed and Insured (Unlike many other low end car services here)

Serving Buenos Aires Premium Travelers Since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    That's a good point and the USD used to be a lot easier to counterfeit and would have been higher up on the list say 10 years ago. Because 60% of USD circulates outside the country, we only sort of 40% gave a shit so the counterfeiting problem got pretty bad before we decided to deal with it. That was kind of selfish but of course the new paper and so forth is costly. We did have an opportunity at the same time to go to a longer lived and cheaper paper but we decided controlling the manufacturers more closely was more important, which is probably true. By the way, historically, when counterfeiting goes up revolutions can follow. Whether you are a Dem or a Rep or a Lib or a Com you want trustworthy money that everyone will accept or it will get real ugly. Don't forget that in 2001/2002 individual Argie provinces issued their own bullshit currencies such as the "Patacón" to feign solvency as far as payroll and so forth was concerned. If I went down there to monger right now I would bring $9999 US, fill out no forms, and party til the money ran out. I would not be relying on ATMs at this point, as a visitor.
    I think the new USD 100 is getting ready to come out next year, more security features, but plastic polymer seems like the way to go, money lasts 2x longer too.

That's a good point and the USD used to be a lot easier to counterfeit and would have been higher up on the list say 10 years ago. Because 60% of USD circulates outside the country, we only sort of 40% gave a shit so the counterfeiting problem got pretty bad before we decided to deal with it. That was kind of selfish but of course the new paper and so forth is costly. We did have an opportunity at the same time to go to a longer lived and cheaper paper but we decided controlling the manufacturers more closely was more important, which is probably true. By the way, historically, when counterfeiting goes up revolutions can follow. Whether you are a Dem or a Rep or a Lib or a Com you want trustworthy money that everyone will accept or it will get real ugly. Don't forget that in 2001/2002 individual Argie provinces issued their own bullshit currencies such as the "Patacón" to feign solvency as far as payroll and so forth was concerned. If I went down there to monger right now I would bring $9999 US, fill out no forms, and party til the money ran out. I would not be relying on ATMs at this point, as a visitor.

Posting Limitations