Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 92 of 137 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Yujin  [View Original Post]
    If you travel and unfamiliar with the local currency, you might eventually find yourself in possession of counterfeit currency. Here's an interesting article from the New York Times, but re-posted and linked to the Seattle Times (unlike the NYT, no pay-per-view registration needed). The article reminded me of my first trip to Argentina about 15 years ago when I was given counterfeit pesos by a cab driver. I complained to everyone about being given the counterfeit money, but all I got was the 'you're a dumb-ass' look.

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...oney30xml.html

According to the article, the London-based global foreign exchange company Travelex says that the counterfeit currencies it sees most often are the euro, British pound, Mexican peso, Argentine peso, Peruvian sol and Chinese yuan. Since everything else in China is counterfeited, I shouldn't have been surprised about the Chinese yuan being widely counterfeited but I was. I was also surprised that the US dollar wasn't high on the list.
    Hopefully the new 100 Peso Evita note should help, if has better security features. The hardest to counterfiet is the Australian Dollar ans now CAD, with the plastic polymer see thru notes, very cool stuff.

Counterfeit Currency

If you travel and unfamiliar with the local currency, you might eventually find yourself in possession of counterfeit currency. Here's an interesting article from the New York Times, but re-posted and linked to the Seattle Times (unlike the NYT, no pay-per-view registration needed). The article reminded me of my first trip to Argentina about 15 years ago when I was given counterfeit pesos by a cab driver. I complained to everyone about being given the counterfeit money, but all I got was the 'you're a dumb-ass' look.

http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...oney30xml.html

According to the article, the London-based global foreign exchange company Travelex says that the counterfeit currencies it sees most often are the euro, British pound, Mexican peso, Argentine peso, Peruvian sol and Chinese yuan. Since everything else in China is counterfeited, I shouldn't have been surprised about the Chinese yuan being widely counterfeited but I was. I was also surprised that the US dollar wasn't high on the list.

Yep, I need to update. Did not know the CHF was worth more than the dollar. Looks like it's been almost two years that's been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeOilSales  [View Original Post]
    If I had to convert all my assets into cash and bury them for 20 years I would be using the 1000 CHF notes.
    If I had to convert all my assets into cash and bury them for 20 years I'd need change from a 1000 CHF note!

Happened to me once

Fucking Banco Francias in Colegiales, to quote the sage,"Kocksukers"

Beware of ATM's too

A friend of mine drew about 2, 000 pesos out of an ATM at Citibank on Callao and found 3 fake 50 peso bills, all of them easy to recognize color copies. He told the bank immediately but of course they wouldn't accept the claim, in fact he was treated as if he had switched the real bills to fake ones after pulling the money out from the ATM. Argentina is one the very few countries if not the only one where you can get fake bills from banks.

That's the trick

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerfull  [View Original Post]
    What happened is that this morning, around 4am on my way back from a milonga, a taxista gave me a ride, no problem, but at the end of the ride when I gave him $30 for a $22 fare, he mumbled something to me I could not understand. I opened my wallet and he looked back and at my open wallet and told me to give him the $50; so like a fool I did. Then he handed the $50 back to me. I thought the whole thing was odd, but I have never heard that $50 bills are being conterfeited. Well, I think that he switched $50's on me real discretely. I went to the privado on Esmeralda this morning and the gals there caught the fake and the sweetheart (Alyin") I did pointed out what was wrong with the bill. Alyin, a 8+ or 9 blonde, gave me a full gf experience for $250. Last week this privado was charging $300 a half-hour. Do prices vary from day to day / week to week?
    That happened to me, once, years ago with a remis going to EZE. I had just woken up from a post-coital nap and was not savvy to the wisdom of senor Toymann (don't pay the remis (Fred not included in this analysis) until you're both out of the car and you can see both of his hands and he has less opportunity to do the old switcheroo. It was a realatively inexpensive lesson to learn (about US$30, back then). I still have the fake AR$100 bill, right here in my office. Now, it's worth almost as much as a real one.

Exchange Currency. Fake $50

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    In over 7 years and over 15 trip to Argentina I have been lucky and never been passed a Falso yet. Probably just lucky but I was alerted on this board long ago about the taxi driver switch-a-roo scam. Because of this good advice I always have cambio and have never used a 100 peso note, except when I come from or go to EZE. In these cases I always pay the cabbie outside the taxi when I am getting my bag out of the trunk. Always figured this made it tough for the dude to switch the bills. Monger on Cheerful. Toymann
    What happened is that this morning, around 4am on my way back from a milonga, a taxista gave me a ride, no problem, but at the end of the ride when I gave him $30 for a $22 fare, he mumbled something to me I could not understand. I opened my wallet and he looked back and at my open wallet and told me to give him the $50; so like a fool I did. Then he handed the $50 back to me. I thought the whole thing was odd, but I have never heard that $50 bills are being conterfeited. Well, I think that he switched $50's on me real discretely. I went to the privado on Esmeralda this morning and the gals there caught the fake and the sweetheart (Alyin") I did pointed out what was wrong with the bill. Alyin, a 8+ or 9 blonde, gave me a full gf experience for $250. Last week this privado was charging $300 a half-hour. Do prices vary from day to day / week to week?

Thanks for the update dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerfull  [View Original Post]
    Last nite I was given a fake $50 bill by a taxista. Didn't realize it til this morning when the chicas in a privado told me it was falso. It was hard to tell the difference between a good and bad 50. The fake bill is really good quality, not even the guys at the local padrilla could tell without real close examination. I was also told at the privado that 10 peso bills are also being counterfited.
    In over 7 years and over 15 trip to Argentina I have been lucky and never been passed a Falso yet. Probably just lucky but I was alerted on this board long ago about the taxi driver switch-a-roo scam. Because of this good advice I always have cambio and have never used a 100 peso note, except when I come from or go to EZE. In these cases I always pay the cabbie outside the taxi when I am getting my bag out of the trunk. Always figured this made it tough for the dude to switch the bills. Monger on Cheerful. Toymann

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toymann For This Post:

Mite mitad

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Or you were given a fake fifty at the privado, which is equally possible.
    Equal chances that you got it from the tachero or the receptionist. Did she leave and came back and tell you it was fake?

Or you were given a fake fifty at the privado, which is equally possible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Exchanging Currenty. Fake $50's

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman  [View Original Post]
    In certain parts of the world, such as Thailand and Hong Kong, large USD bills always have higher exchang rate in all the exchange places, including exchanging in the banks. In BsAs, I have experienced only one cueva with this practice.
    Last nite I was given a fake $50 bill by a taxista. Didn't realize it til this morning when the chicas in a privado told me it was falso. It was hard to tell the difference between a good and bad 50. The fake bill is really good quality, not even the guys at the local padrilla could tell without real close examination. I was also told at the privado that 10 peso bills are also being counterfited.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerfull For This Post:

In certain parts of the world, such as Thailand and Hong Kong, large USD bills always have higher exchang rate in all the exchange places, including exchanging in the banks. In BsAs, I have experienced only one cueva with this practice.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    If what Aqualung says is true, and I have no doubt that it is, you would think they would LOVE the 500 Euro note. Might be worth bringing a few of those. I think the 500 Euro note is far and away the most valuable in the world by space and weight.
    50, 100, 200 and 500 Euro notes all are considered "big" bills by the cuevas here and are all given the same exchange rate. Although the 500 Euro note is an efficient store of value and is the second most liquid currency worldwide after USD, it is not the most valuable major currency banknote. There is a 1000 CHF note, for example (worth $1080 USD) and a $10, 000 SGD banknote which is in fact the most valuable in circulation. If I had to convert all my assets into cash and bury them for 20 years I would be using the 1000 CHF notes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SnakeOilSales For This Post:

If what Aqualung says is true, and I have no doubt that it is, you would think they would LOVE the 500 Euro note. Might be worth bringing a few of those. I think the 500 Euro note is far and away the most valuable in the world by space and weight.

Posting Limitations