Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 95 of 137 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Euroblue

One Euro change for 7. 5 until 7. 65 Peso.

You need to monitor this site. It gives you the official (unofficial!) exchange rate for dollars euros etc.

http://dolarblue.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho9  [View Original Post]
    Argentinians are desperate for dollars.

I was today in Buenos Aires on my way to Uruguay and walking by Florida Street at Microcentro I was offered dozens of times pesos for american dollars. They were interested in euros too.

I've got to go back to Argentina next week, so I talked with this guy standing in the corner of Florida and Tucuman. He offered me directly 6, 20 pesos for each dollar. He took me to a store at the end of a gallery at Florida 681 and there I made the change.

No hassles. No passport needed. No questions asked.

Usual change at casas de cambio today was 4, 47.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgando69 For This Post:

Florida and Tucuman

Quote Originally Posted by Kurty  [View Original Post]
    Hello, Guys,

Thanks for all the info.

I will be in BA in few weeks, Hotel in Microcentro next to Florida.

What is the best way to change a thousand buck to pesos? Is it with the street guys on Florida street?

And what are the exchange rate I should expect?

I guess bank and the rest of formal exchange don't give that that great rate?

Thanks in advance.
    Argentinians are desperate for dollars.

I was today in Buenos Aires on my way to Uruguay and walking by Florida Street at Microcentro I was offered dozens of times pesos for american dollars. They were interested in euros too.

I've got to go back to Argentina next week, so I talked with this guy standing in the corner of Florida and Tucuman. He offered me directly 6, 20 pesos for each dollar. He took me to a store at the end of a gallery at Florida 681 and there I made the change.

No hassles. No passport needed. No questions asked.

Usual change at casas de cambio today was 4, 47.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss Man  [View Original Post]
    Is "Cervino" or the "coin store" open for exchange on Saturday. I am personally not a fan of exchanging money on Florida Street. I am trying to avoid the ATM due to a weekend arrival time. Thanks.
    Yes, they are open on Saturdays.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to El Perro For This Post:

Question

Is "Cervino" or the "coin store" open for exchange on Saturday. I am personally not a fan of exchanging money on Florida Street. I am trying to avoid the ATM due to a weekend arrival time. Thanks.

'Western Union'

Ouch. Thanks a bunch.

Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by DavieW  [View Original Post]
    Whatever you do, don't go to a Western Union and try and change your USD!

The "Western Union" referred to (note the inverted commas) is a cueva at the junction of Florida and Lavalle. It's a mobile phone accessory shop which has a small "Western Union" sign outside it. You go into the back of the shop, tell them you want 'cambio' and go in and change your USD, no questions asked. USD100 bills are always preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventureseeke  [View Original Post]
    Where is the western union please?

Did you just walk in and ask to exchange or did you have to send it in from outside? Is there a specific denomination that is preferable (say $100 bills)?
    Whatever you do, don't go to a Western Union and try and change your USD!

The "Western Union" referred to (note the inverted commas) is a cueva at the junction of Florida and Lavalle. It's a mobile phone accessory shop which has a small "Western Union" sign outside it. You go into the back of the shop, tell them you want 'cambio' and go in and change your USD, no questions asked. USD100 bills are always preferable.

Western union?

Where is the western union please?

Did you just walk in and ask to exchange or did you have to send it in from outside? Is there a specific denomination that is preferable (say $100 bills)?

Quote Originally Posted by World2012  [View Original Post]
    I was able to get 6. 2 at the "Western Union"@$500 USD without even trying. He offered 6. 1 and I pushed a little and he said, OK. 6.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    My guess it is nothing more sinister than trying to give you the latino personal touch, since, as you say, they know you now.
    That's what I figured. Kinda like the ritual hazing and reward. I'd prefer they make me cough up the code though. Unlikely as it is that someone would create a nice fake I'd to scam 1 xoom transaction I send, still adds extra step to also need to hijack and know my code as well.

My guess it is nothing more sinister than trying to give you the latino personal touch, since, as you say, they know you now.

Xoom via More Casa phone call, security lapse

With latest Xoom xfer and pickup yesterday, got my courtesy call from More again.

Was ready to yell chicas, chicas why chicas again if asked why I needed the money like Daddyrulz was asked.

Last time got asked nothing. Just told my xfer rdy for pickup. This time woman asked me what I'm pretty positive was a simple verification question to be sure I was the person she was calling. Asked what job profession I was. Again, pretty sure this is a double check against whatever you put down on their form.

After reply, she said ready for pickup. I can now positively conclude that if you wait for the More call, when you get to then pickup office it goes faster because they no longer do the back office verification call. Just lookup online and process. Basically my conclusion is that Xoom clears your xfer much quicker than More does, so when you get that Xoom side email saying ready for pickup it doesn't necessarily mean More Casa is. I'm now waiting to get both Xoom email and More call to make pickups less time and hassle.

However one security procedure or lack of it bothered me. Pretty bad slip really. Cashier didn't take my slip of paper with my Xoom xfer number written on it. She waived it off and just looked me up in their More system via my passport name / number.

I really don't like this because this removes the extra layer of protection that regardless of what Identification doc a person has, the release of your funds needs the actual unique per xfer transaction number. Similar to a protected Swiss bank xfer and pickup

On one hand they clearly know who I am by now, but on Xoom side it clearly states without the receiver presenting that xfer number and ID, funds can't be released. I prefer the double protection of ID and must present xfer number. Odd given how ultra paranoid and useless bureaucratic More Casa is that they chose to skip this procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Santa  [View Original Post]
    How do we a determine what is a fair rate of exchange? The current buy and sell rates are 5. 78 and 6. 37, respectively. See.

http://dolarblue.net/.

Since dollars are in demand, and bases on the forgoing, I would think that a fair rate would be 6. 32.

Unfortunately, I never received close to the foregoing rate.

Thanks
    A 'fair' rate of exchange is pretty easy to get here on the streets of BsAs.

The first thing to do is ignore that web-site.

Then go to one of the trusted cuevas mentioned a hundred times on THIS web-site, or take a walk down Florida / Lavalle and compare a few offers.

It IS possible to get 0. 1 or maybe even 0. 2 higher if you've been here long enough and have the right contacts, but for the amounts generally being exchanged it really isn't worth jumping through the hoops and worrying about the extra 50 pesos you might be able to generate!

If you need to change several thousand dollars on a regular (monthly) basis, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the best reliable rate available in BsAs.

XOOM and MORE CASA

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    You won't with Xoom if you already did level 2 doc which sounds like you did since any txn 3k will put you at first level limit

You definitely will have hoops with More Casa as I described if you continue to do Xoom pickups
    You can save some hassles with a XOOM transfer to MORE if you are not completely truthful, and tell them that you are retired, have no job or other employment, and are just a tourist. Also give them the Argentina phone number of your hotel or apartment. I did not go beyond "level 1", so I do not know what pitfalls await.

Tres3

Fair Exchange

How do we a determine what is a fair rate of exchange? The current buy and sell rates are 5. 78 and 6. 37, respectively. See.

http://dolarblue.net/. Since dollars are in demand, and bases on the forgoing, I would think that a fair rate would be 6. 32.

Unfortunately, I never received close to the foregoing rate.

Thanks

6. 1-1 for 500 USD today at the cervino location.

Posting Limitations