Thread: Exchanging Currency

+ Submit Report
Page 98 of 137 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2043
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Things are picking up. 6.33 yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by California Jay  [View Original Post]
    Something on the horizon?
    Xoom has fluctuated, sometimes daily swing in one go, from 6.1x to 5.7x, the entire time I've been using it 5-6x per month since early August

I wouldn't read anything into this normal swing unless it hits 6.2 and higher for consistent week+

Xoom rate today 6. 1184 ARS

Something on the horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    Thanks WhiteCat. Got a great tip from blanco gatita. I am staying on junin kitty corner to the cemetery in recoleta. As you head down junin after vincente Lopez and before las heras there is a coin store across from the newly renovated recoleta mall. Walked in and asked for cambio. Nice young fella walking me into the back room that is setup like a bank tellers window. No hassles and very professional. Was offered 6:1 for 1000 countered with 6. 2 for 2000 used. Agreed after a short discussion with the boss. Good bills, checked them all out, looked just fine. Very convenient as this store is 10 meters away from my apartment. Highly recommended. Thanks Kitty. Mongering on all. Toymann
    Went to this coin store today, very close to my hotel, got 6:1, seems like they will do it for just about any amount.

Leaving the country and dumping my remaining pesos

As I was awaiting my flight out of Aeroparque to Santiago, Chile, I was of course unable to find any authorized manner of losing the excess 350-400 pesos that I had in my possession. I was, however, able to find someone who was just entering Argentina from the USA whom I was able to get to give me $50 US for 350 pesos, and I bought lunch with the remaining 57 pesos I had in my possession prior to my flight out.

FYI, one should budget around 45 pesos for the taxi fare to Aeroparque from the AP house if done during a period of busy traffic as mine was.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    Next I always wear a sweatshirt or sweater I can take off. If it's too hot wear two t-shirts. The cambio will be in a galaria usually in the back. Before you hit the street, change your apperance in another shop. Take off the sweater or sweatshirt. While you stroll through the galeria pay attention to who is paying attention to you. Spend 2-3 minutes walking in a circle, start walking one way and double back, look for anybody looking at you. If you don't see anybody watching you then leave, walk a block, and get in a random cab. It sounds odd but it doesn't take long, just a minute or two.
    The key is to keep alert and constantly do the unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    The most important advise after changing money. Grab a cab as fast as you can and go straight home. Do not try to walk home, take a bus or subte.

Or go mongering with cash tucked in pocket.

Go straight home in the first cab you see after exchanging money!
    With respect I wouldn't do this. If you're being set up by the cuerva then the first cab you see is going to be their partner. I have many different things I do to lower my profile. The first and obvious thing I do is dress like a thug. There is the old joke about the two hunters that miss shooting at a bear and it charges. The one hunter yells RUN. The other guy says "We can't outrun a bear." And the first guy yells over his shoulder,"I don't have to outrun the bear, I just got to outrun you." Don't look like low hanging fruit.

Next I always wear a sweatshirt or sweater I can take off. If it's too hot wear two t-shirts. The cambio will be in a galaria usually in the back. Before you hit the street, change your apperance in another shop. Take off the sweater or sweatshirt. While you stroll through the galeria pay attention to who is paying attention to you. Spend 2-3 minutes walking in a circle, start walking one way and double back, look for anybody looking at you. If you don't see anybody watching you then leave, walk a block, and get in a random cab. It sounds odd but it doesn't take long, just a minute or two.

I wouldn't ever change more than 500 or 1000 at a time. Your rate won't be any better and by the time you spend the 500 the peso will have fallen more. If you have to have that much money split it up in trips and cambios.

All standard advice applies as well, check their money before parting with yours. Don't be shy or afraid of offending with this. If somebody gives you a hard time about it, pick up your dollars, throw their pesos back, call them a pelotudo and leave.

Never, ever change money on the street or at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coach  [View Original Post]
    Just returned from two wonderful weeks in BsAs. On two occasions I paid a taxi driver with 100 pesos notes which turned out to be fake. I obtained pesos from four different sources. Two banks (one at the airport) , an ATM and from a reliable private dealer. It also crossed my mind that the taxi drivers could have exchanged the notes without me noticing.

Are fake banknotes a big problem in BsAs?
    It is a well known fact that unscrupulous cab drivers take your real 100 peso notes and switch them for a fake one when you are not looking. Many drivers downtown will switch 4 to 5 a day. They are also known to plant fake notes in your change. Counterfeit currency is a major problem here. Some places downtown where the printing goes on, they print $100, 000 in fake pesos a day.

They also sell thier bills to change houses too (be careful if you are new here and don't speak spanish) , they also sell to bank employees etc. It is a jungle.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Safe and Secure Limo Services in Buenos Aires.

Since 2009

Almost 100% certain it was the cab drivers who swapped the notes for the false ones. False notes are a problem in Bs As and the government bank note issuing policy has made this even easier. They have printed notes with differences at different times and then those printed in Brazil when the local printers couldn't keep up with the amount needed are different again.

Jot down the serial number of any big bill you hand a cab driver or take a picture with your cell phone.

When leaving a 'cueva' or bank never jump into the first cab you see. Walk quickly in the opposite direction to the traffic up to the nearest corner and take a cab going along the cross road to the one you were on. It might mean a few pesos more in fare but it'll be much safer. Very often crook cab drivers hover around these entrances waiting for a likely victim. You get in and tell him where your going the cabby has his phone open so his partners near by know which way he'll be travelling. When he slows down at a corner or a traffic light they jump in the cab one each side of you and pull out guns releaving you of your belongings.

In any cab beware of tell-tail signs such as driving too slow or slowing down to allow time for a traffic light turn to red. Locking both back doors may help but in many cars the driver can unlock then from his door. If you notice anything like this get out of the cab immediately and pay the driver once you are on the street. Always move quickly and do unexpected things. Crooks like to have everything under control and unexpected moves throw them off. Of course, this is for daylight and crowded streets. At night in lonely spots the chance of getting shot are quite high. In that case gritting your teeth and counting your loss is probably the best advice.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqualung For This Post:

Fake 100 Peso Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coach  [View Original Post]
    Just returned from two wonderful weeks in BsAs. On two occasions I paid a taxi driver with 100 pesos notes which turned out to be fake. I obtained pesos from four different sources. Two banks (one at the airport) , an ATM and from a reliable private dealer. It also crossed my mind that the taxi drivers could have exchanged the notes without me noticing.

BA taxi drivers are known for giving phony 100 Peso notes, especially at night when it is hard to see. I learned a long time ago from an experienced world traveler, that wherever you take a taxi, be sure to carry enough small bills so that you can give the taxi driver exact change, or very close to exact change. Modern color printers give a remarkable, especially if it is dark and you are in a hurray, phony note.

Tres3

Fake 100 pesos notes

Quote Originally Posted by Member #3320  [View Original Post]
    The most important advise after changing money. Grab a cab as fast as you can and go straight home. Do not try to walk home, take a bus or subte.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Walk a block and grab the first cab you see.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #3320 For This Post:

It's Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Guy  [View Original Post]
    What is the maximum amount of USD to exchange in one go? Would it be risky to carry 2000 USD on Calle Florida? I mean, is there a risk that the people in the cuevas will tip off some of their friends, and then you get robbed on the way back to your apartment? Should I wear a money belt etc, or am I just being overly paranoid?
    I exchange 10k to 20k a week when someone asks me to help them out and we always go to the same guy in the Travel Agency underground.

Broad daylight, thousands of people walking around so not likely to be robbed there.

A lucky pick-pocket might grab it if your stupid.

More likely to get robbed leaving a Bank.

Count it at the counter, stick it in your pocket or spread it around into various pockets and leave the office.

Walk a block and grab the first cab you see.

The owner / exchange person wants you to come back so he's not going to mark you himself.

And yes, you can always bring a friend with you.

I'm usually available after 1pm.

TL

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TejanoLibre For This Post:

Venues: 8
    The most I've changed on Florida is around $1000 USD as well. It does seem to kind of be a comfort number for me as well. However, it's so easy to do (I live close by) that I don't feel the need to change great amounts at one time anyway. Mostly I use a cueva where I wire money to an account in the States or Uruguay and go pick up the cash here locally.

I've heard stories about people getting ripped off after leaving cuevas or arbolitos, about people getting handed a wad of counterfeits, etc, etc. Seems most of these stories are not very substantiated. They come under the heading of "everyone knows." or "you always hear about." Me, I've never had a single issue or felt even a little worried and I've changed on Florida at times over 6 years living here full time.

Having said all of that, I do know personally one story of a gentleman (related to me and others who know him, in person) who lived here for decades and about a year ago moved back to his home country, who was robbed after having wired money to a change house / cueva when he went to pick up the cash. He was robbed of a serious sum of money after he left the cueva. He was in his own car, and the suspicion was that a secretary in the office alerted someone to follow him on leaving (there is some very strong circumstantial evidence to support the notion, which I will not go into here). The sum of money was somewhere in the neighborhood of $25K pesos.

This is the only nearly-confirmed story of someone being robbed by an employee alerting a thief that I know of.

I mention that only because the possibility does exist. However, I have to say. You probably have as much or more potential to be robbed leaving an ATM in broad daylight as you do being robbed leaving an arbolito on Florida. Or leaving More Money Transfers on having used Xoom to send your money.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to El Queso For This Post:

Everyone has their own comfort level but mine was $1000. I felt like beyond that point, any potential improvement in the exchange rate was more than offset by the additional risk. You might want to take a wingman with you. You might want to splurge on a taxi although I sure as fuck never did. It depends on if you are 5'2" and 50kg or 6'7" and 150kg, and whether you are willing to resist. You can argue all day about whether resisting is a good idea or not but I am sure as fuck going to. So that might make the risk of robbery less and the risk of getting shanked or greased somewhat greater.

Thieves are wise to money belts so my money is taped inside of my sock. Even if they get the shoe off, they'll have a hard time with the tape and meanwhile I will hit them upside the fucking head with a brick.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Posting Limitations