Thread: Internet Access

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    PLease search for my posts on fibertel v arnet. I have both now and Arnet is far and away more reliable, faster.
    Good to hear Thomaso.

My experiences were "old". So I might even change to ARnet myself then since I am also considering changing my CableVision Digital package to a DirecTV package. (Which is cheaper!) The only thing keeping me with CableVision was the internet connection.

Please search for my posts on Fibertel v Arnet. I have both now and Arnet is far and away more reliable, faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaman
    Depending on the area Telecom or Telefonica is the telephone company.

Telecom has an ADSL service named "ARnet" and Telefonica has "Speedy".

Recently I brought a modem / router / access point down from the USA for somebody who is using Speedy. He got it installed without any assistance from Speedy.

Having worked with both ARnet and Fibertel I can say that most likely Fibertel is the better choice of the two. Speedy is not reliable according the the person who got the modem.

Remember that none of them is as reliable as the services in the US or Europe.
    Thanks for the info. This compatibility thing (US / AR) is always a question for me. Brought a bluetooth handsfree device for sweet thing and could not make it work. Tried it on numerous phones at the cell phone store and it was a bust. Win some, loose some. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Is Arnet still the provider of choice: (Internet service)

Lease or purchase modem?

US modem compatible, other than the voltage deal?

My Spanish has failed me again.
    Depending on the area Telecom or Telefonica is the telephone company.

Telecom has an ADSL service named "ARnet" and Telefonica has "Speedy".

Recently I brought a modem / router / access point down from the USA for somebody who is using Speedy. He got it installed without any assistance from Speedy.

Having worked with both ARnet and Fibertel I can say that most likely Fibertel is the better choice of the two. Speedy is not reliable according the the person who got the modem.

Remember that none of them is as reliable as the services in the US or Europe.

Arnet

Is Arnet still the provider of choice: (Internet service)

Lease or purchase modem?

US modem compatible, other than the voltage deal?

My Spanish has failed me again.

Unless you are being actively targeted for some reason by relatively sophisticated bad guys, you are unlikely to have a problem using SSL over wired or wireless. Unlikely is not the same as impossible as GH points out.

Using a public computer in an Internet cafe for anything sensitive is not safe. Unfortunately, that includes e-mail if your e-mail account is used for password resets with financial institutions or anything sensitive. Better to have a separate e-mail account for the sensitive stuff.

Thank-you. My gut kept telling me it was OK, but always that skepticism. Probably more vulnerable in the USA than here, more crooks in business in the U. S. This is my first venture to Argentina so the whole trip has been a learning experience, kind of a throw-away thing. Brought an old laptop that I would not trust for anything, no big loss if it disappeared. Next trip, bring the Mac: partial to Apple.

Thanks again for the info.

SSL does not stop a DNS re-direct hack that makes a bogus website to steal your login info. Going in through the front door is not the best way. There are a ton of other hacks that can be employed on a public wireless network.

Banking on a public wireless network I. E. Coffee shop, airport, etc is really asking for it.

My favorite is sitting in the Admirals club watching the wireless traffic, the smart ones plug into the wall. Most companies do not use an encrypted e-mail password. As soon as Outlook gets on the internet it sends the login for e-mail in plain text. If your on wireless I have your server info and login info in a nice text file for me to exploit at a later time.

I have never used the info I see for nefarious purposes, I am a geek thats all.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    don't use wireless for any banking, or any computer other than your own.

If you use WEP it takes about 3-5 minutes to crack. WPA takes a few hours depending on how fast of a processor you have and the key strength.
    And then you get the encrypted (by SSL) packets which you can not decrypt.

As long as the SSL chain is correct, so correct trusted certificate without an error, it is (almost) impossible to crack. Maybe if you have a pretty unlimited computer farm available, but otherwise it will take way too long to decrypt one packet, let alone the whole data communication.

Don't use wireless for any banking, or any computer other than your own.

If you use WEP it takes about 3-5 minutes to crack. WPA takes a few hours depending on how fast of a processor you have and the key strength.

I am not a trader, but I can tell you that internet security is just up to standard down here. Actually thinking about it, there are no "stupid" laws down here requiring to store all the email (header) information, and all data connection data. (Not the actual data itself) These laws do exist in the US and in EU.

As long as your browser uses the "https:/" address and it shows that the certificate is trusted (normally a bit of green in the address bar) then you should be ok. (This all means that the traffic between your PC and the server is encrypted, and even when somebody listens in, he will be unable to decrypt it.

So good luck making the few extra bucks!

Internet Security

Need some assurance. Have read as many threads about Internet security as I can but am still reluctant to log on to my Scottraade account from Argentina. No big wheeler dealer, but do trade and try to catch a buck or two. Are there any Traders doing actual trades from Argentina that can offer some reassurances about Internet security? Thanks.

Internet Access With Privacy?

Does anyone know of a place where I can access the Internet with some privacy? (I know an answer to this was posted at some point in the past but my searches are not finding that post.

Thanks,

Bob

Good WiFi locations?

Can you give us a couple of good locations?

I was walking around but didn't find anywhere with access:-(

And this Argentinian keyboard is KILLING me.

Any concerns on people sniffing your traffic? (no pun intended)

Jsplash

Use WiFI at a Cafe.

BA is pretty much WiFi'd up now. I'm sitting at a cafe right now and it has free Wifi. There are a lot of providers showing up on my machine without passwords. So if you need to hook up your laptop, it can be had for the price of a cup of coffee.

Posting Limitations