Thread: Internet Access

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Hi,.

For WIFI "http:/www.Telefonica.com.ar/wifihogares/"

Propose pre-pay cards. (5pesos por 30 minutos)

I used Arnet which is Telecom's internet service.

I was happy with it. Getting it installed was kind of a pain (techies had to come over twice IIRC) but it worked fine for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaga
    I'm not to happy with Fibertel. For the 7 months I've had the subscription, they had to send technicians 3 times to my flat because something was bad with the cable. And my girlfriend wanted to have the promotion they are having now, but they never showed up at appointed time. AND for the past week their server have been down twice.

If there is anything good. They sent out an technician on all 3 times the day after I called and complained.

Malaga
    I have been in BA for 6 months. In the short term apt I had for 2 months Fibertel's service was out for 3-4 days in a row in my neighborhood before it was fixed. In my present place I have lost service 3 or 4 times for about 6 hours on each occasion. Not a good record, but prior to moving here I had internet service with Atlantic Broadband in Miami Beach. They might have the worst customer service in the world, and beyond. In fact, I still have a working email account with them despite the fact that, 1. I haven't paid for any services with them since 1/06 and 2. I called them and told them about the "free service" in February and they said they would take care of it! One of the few times doing business with a clueless and overwhelmed company works in your favor.

Fibertel

I'm not to happy with Fibertel. For the 7 months I've had the subscription, they had to send technicians 3 times to my flat because something was bad with the cable. And my girlfriend wanted to have the promotion they are having now, but they never showed up at appointed time. AND for the past week their server have been down twice.

If there is anything good. They sent out an technician on all 3 times the day after I called and complained.

Malaga

Quote Originally Posted by Minimus
    The new wrinkle with internet cafes is that there is a filter that seems to be almost universally used, that blocks some of the websites and frequently, much to my chagrin, this site too.

Slowed some of my research down.
    I used to live in the Persian Gulf, where the Arab states routinely filtered Internet traffic big time. Depending of how the filtering is done, here are a couple of techniques that may help.

1. Set your computer to use another DNS server than the one the ISP is directing you to. Often, the filtering is simply the result of the DNS server being set not to resolve certain names. I use this in the States to access web e-mail at work, where the company DNS server is set not to resolve web-based e-mail sites.

2. While you're at home or wherever, "ping" the sites that are filtered and get their IP address (and save it). Then, when you're somewhere that's filtering, enter "http:/ xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address). This often bypasses domain name-based filters.

Hope that helps.

Straylight

Theres no other option usually, Fibertel is owned now by CABLEVISION (USA) and market is pretty tight now, trying to get monopoly position here. Actually I had no problems at all within last 3 months in Argentina (service down for no more than 4 hours in total)

Question Fibertel Blues

Since Saturday I have been without internet access from roughly noon to 6:30-7pm every day (Fibertel-I am in Recoleta) What gives? Is this normal operating procedure for them? I assume they are doing some daytime work somewhere and then hooking up as the Sun goes down. Does anybody know their rep? I am getting ready to move to a long term apartment soon in Barrio Norte, and I am hoping there are options re: ISP.

Worth noting something that almost all dual-voltage laptop owners traveling abroad forget about - getting a power cord that is 220 volt rated.

Many laptop makers with dual voltage AC adapters work just fine, but ironically the power cord coming out of the adapter leading into the outlet is usually only 125v rated (for use with 110/120 US outlets)

Which to be honest for short term use isn't going to fry if used with 220v current running through it, but for long term use you might want to think about getting an actual 220volt rated cord.

filter

I found this filter in 1 place. In the 2 others I use, óne on Plaza de Congreso, no filter, at least re AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimus
    The new wrinkle with internet cafes is that there is a filter that seems to be almost universally used, that blocks some of the websites and frequently, much to my chagrin, this site too.

I ran into this my last visit. You can ask an employee to turn the filtering off.

Filters in Internet cafes

Quote Originally Posted by Full Throttle
    There is a nice Locutorio at the end of Cordoba as you head toward Porto Madero. It is on the right side and has dedicated WiFi seats complete with AC outlets for your laptop (for most, only an adapter is necessary, as your converter should handle the voltage reduction)

FT
    What type of plug adapter is needed? Is it the one with two round terminals?

There is a nice Locutorio at the end of Cordoba as you head toward Porto Madero. It is on the right side and has dedicated WiFi seats complete with AC outlets for your laptop (for most, only an adapter is necessary, as your converter should handle the voltage reduction) Laser prints only $.15 US, I think.

Alternatively, there is one between Maipu and Esmeralda on the opposite side of the street as Excedra. They have an empty desk and allow you to connect to their system through an ethernet cable.

As in most public venues, smoking is required.

FT

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    1,50 too 2,0 pesos an hour in any locutorio. 1 peso if you look around enough although those are becoming rare.
    Anyway, I think 'smoke free' will be in truoble on the cybercafes (lol) just in a few of them smoking is forbidden.

wfi in BA

I will be coming to BA on the 25th Nov. 05.

Can anyone tel me if all these cafe, hotels, and mc donnalds supply a completely free service, or do you have to buy air time.

If you do have to buy air time, does anyone know how much it is?

MY lap top is quite big a bulkly, I am not sure if I can be bother to drag it out!

SF

Posting Limitations