Thread: Iguazu

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Interesting calculation, the relative value of the savings achieved by not buying a Brazilian visa to the probability-adjusted cost of a stay (however brief) in a Brazilian jail and some sort of black-ball on your passport to slow you down at every immigration counter you try to pass for the rest of your traveling life.

Me? I'd either buy the visa or spend the Iguazu-trip money on chicas in Bs As.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSideburn  [View Original Post]
    1. What is best way to get there from BA? I have plane and train.
    Train? There ain't no train to Iguazú!

In fact, there are very few long-distance trains in Argentina that you'd want to risk taking. There definitely used to be one from BsAs to Posadas that went once or twice per week and was scheduled to take something like 20 hours but would often take a couple of days, with various sectors replaced by a bus service. And if you took that one you'd still have to take a bus from Posadas to Iguazú, which is another 6 hours.

The buses are fine, but make sure you get an executive service with a lay-flat seat. Not 'semi-cama' or anything else that says 'cama', which is a device to convince tourists that they're getting a bed (cama). Ask specifically for a lay-flat seat. Draw it or make hand signals if your Spanish isn't up to it. Or better still, fly. With bus prices like they are it's only a little bit more expensive. For those of us that live here it's actually cheaper to fly!

Iguazu--Bite the Bullet

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    They discontinued the day pass or whatever it was some time ago. If you want to go the Brazilian side it's a normal pain in the ass to get Brazilian visa. Bring bank statements. As Gonzo said most taxi drivers can get you across but it's a couple hundred pesos. My money says they have an arraignment with the local cops and border patrol to get it done. I know two people that have done it now and it seems like no big deal.

I wonder what would happen though if you did something to come to the attention of the authorities while over there. Would they send you back to Argentina or full on deport you to the States? More a thought exercise than a fear of something happening, but I wonder which would happen.
    They do not deport you right away, but eventually deport you to Argentina, after paying a fine that is more than the visa. Unfortunately, they put you in jail first. At least this was what happened to a friend of mine who came to the attention of Brazilian police when he decided to do more than see the falls. I never did get the "rest of the story", so I do not know what else he did. If you have a trusted taxi driver take you direct to the Brazilian falls from Argentina, wait for you at the gate to the park, and then bring you directly back to Argentina, you are probably safe. If you want to do, or see more (the high dam comes to mind), I recommend biting the bullet and getting a visa. Better safe than sorry.

I saved the visa money (I was married and in sex prison at that time, and would have had to pay for two visas) on my first visit, and regretted it. On the other visits I spent the money and saw both sides. I also saw the Itaipu Dam between Brazil and Paraguay. This is an engineering marvel, that before the Three Gorges Dam in China, was the largest in the world, and still has the largest electricity generating capacity in the world. Paraguay uses far less than their share, and Itaipu still provides over 80% of their national total. I never felt endangered in Brazil, and went to dinner both times.

Tres3.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tres3 For This Post:

Visa and Iguazu

They discontinued the day pass or whatever it was some time ago. If you want to go the Brazilian side it's a normal pain in the ass to get Brazilian visa. Bring bank statements. As Gonzo said most taxi drivers can get you across but it's a couple hundred pesos. My money says they have an arraignment with the local cops and border patrol to get it done. I know two people that have done it now and it seems like no big deal.

I wonder what would happen though if you did something to come to the attention of the authorities while over there. Would they send you back to Argentina or full on deport you to the States? More a thought exercise than a fear of something happening, but I wonder which would happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Some Iguazu notes

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSideburn  [View Original Post]
    Few quick questions:

1. What is best way to get there from BA? I have plane and train. Is there anything worth seeing on a train ride to the falls?

2. If you speak little Spanish, is it worth taking a "Argie friend for extended GFE" so you don't have to pack heat and apparently risk your life on the other side of the border? A trusted friend told me not really but then another indicated they would highly recommend it especially if going by train.

3. What is cost of the Sheraton for gringo vs. Argie as this may help offset cost of extended GFE?

Pete.
    If you have a Brazil visa, it would be helpful. Maybe you could inquire about if you take a day guided tour, that it is possible to go across without a visa.

Premium buses in Argentina are really comfortable, not as cheap as you might think. Stops are usually dismal when it comes to food. Long rides would be even nicer if bjs were available under the blanket on overnight trips.

I have been to Iguazu 3 times, always have stayed in the Brazilian side. You can have 3 nights in a moderate hotel (breakfast & pool) for what you pay for the Sheraton 1 night (no breakfast). Local buses can take you to the falls cheaply, taxis quite high. I have always wanted to stay at the Sheraton, but waiting to win the lottery first.

My only mongering was on the Brazilian side. At Scorpion, I saw a lesbian show paid by local mongers, then took 2 chicks to my hotel, $50 a piece, 1 black & 1 white. Sorry, but information is 10 years old. Last trip 2 years ago, had gf with me.

If you have a nice girl, bring her to Bariloche, beautiful and so romantic, she will fall in love with you. But then, you are in deep shit.

Never saw danger, never felt danger but always aware of enviroment. Plus, I have kung-fu looks, at least I think so.

Best way to get there

Few quick questions:

1. What is best way to get there from BA? I have plane and train. Is there anything worth seeing on a train ride to the falls?

2. If you speak little Spanish, is it worth taking a "Argie friend for extended GFE" so you don't have to pack heat and apparently risk your life on the other side of the border? A trusted friend told me not really but then another indicated they would highly recommend it especially if going by train.

3. What is cost of the Sheraton for gringo vs. Argie as this may help offset cost of extended GFE?

Pete.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Sideburn For This Post:

Igauzu

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    I have been to Igauzu 3 times and will go again. Anyone who comes this far without seeing the falls is missing a true wonder of the world. The falls will almost make one forget about pussy, if that is possible.

Tres3.
    Memorial day weekend 1995 Maria Elena and I flew to the Falls.

We had been dropped off by the hotel courtesy car and while walking on the path to the boat ride she led me off the path out of sight of anyone else passing by and told me she had a fantasy of making love in the jungle. A once in a lifetime.

We were involved for almost six years and lived together for about six months while I was working in Bs As.

One of the two women in my life that broke my heart.

I probably will not return to the falls.

Don.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Don B For This Post:

Iguazu is Worth It

I have been to Igauzu 3 times and will go again. Anyone who comes this far without seeing the falls is missing a true wonder of the world. The falls will almost make one forget about pussy, if that is possible.

Tres3.

Been There

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo  [View Original Post]
    I jsut got back from a trip to Iguazu Falls. Having lived some years in Buffalo, close to Niagara Falls, I'm familiar with big waterfalls, but Iguazu takes it to a whole other level. The breadth of the number of falls over a 1-2 mile range in the canyon is amazing. So here are a few things I did / learned.

-If you got the bucks, stay at the Sheraton, as it is already in the park, and you can walk to the falls very easily on the argentine side, and take the little train to the Garganta del Diablo. Your butt will hurt from the price, but can't beat the convenience. Dinner buffet excellent and massive, breakfast buffet, massive also, but not as inspiring.

-There is a big hotel on the Brazilian side right near the waterfalls, may be a possibility if the real wasn't so strong.

-There is a park fee you have to pay for both the Brazilian and Argentine sides. 160 to 170 pesos approx on each side.

-Bring a poncho, since you'll be on walkways that will be spraying you heavily, but it is so warm it is actually nice. If you don't bring a poncho, bring a 2nd set of clothes to change into later.

-I took a cab right from the airport into Brazil. Look for guys in blue shirts and with I'd badges around the collar. The cabbie I hooked up with was Ramon, for 500 pesos, took me over to the Brazil side, waited for me and then took me back to my hotel. No visa.

-If you are interested in photography, go to the Brazil side, better positioning to get panoramic photos. Plus the last part of the walk takes has the best walkway IMO, in front of Salto Union falls, next to Garganta. Awesome. There is also an elevator at the end of the walk, and you actually can see behind the falls, very cool.

-Apparently now (March) is sort of the end of rainy season, or so I was told by someone, and there was a much larger volume of water than at other times.

-LAN airlines, good. Heard not so nice things about AeroArgentina.

-If you go to the Brazil side, you get to see a lot of mosquitoes. Young brazilian women. Nice! Argentinian side wasn't bad either.

-No real mosquitoes whatsoever during the day. But I heard that the can come out at night.

-Too tired to even think of mongering there. So nothing to report.

-If you're lucky you'll see some very cool animals and birds.

-If you're lucky you will also get to go on sunny day. The Sun. Came out towards the end of my Brazil walk and resulted in some beautiful photos.

-It seems you can wait until a few days before booking hotels and flights, at least in March. Check www.underground.com to see the weather reports. Good to avoid really rainy days.

-I went for about 24 hours over two days, afternoon to afternoon. Enough to see both sides, but not to do the following: the lower trail on the Arg side, boat ride, walk around San Martin island, helicopter ride. But I'm not complaining, took about 300 photos and videos.
    I've been there and I only stayed on the Argie side because I was with my girlfriend but everyone always says that the Argentines have the VIEW and the Brazilians have the WATER, no view to speak of while Paraguay has the crime and the duty free electronics.

When Elenor Roosevelt visited Iguazu she said POOR NIAGRA!

Glad you were able to check it out!

TL.

My Iguazu tips

Buy a waterproof backpack, or put a couple garbage bags in a regular one. Wear synthetic stuff shirt that drys quickly. Keep a second shirt in the bag for when you're leaving. Good shoes and socks with extra socks in plastic bag in backpack. Take a pair of tevos or cheap sandles if you're going to do the boat ride and put your shoes and socks in a plastic bag in the backpack. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Fairly large capacity water bottle. If you can find a packpack that has some secure method to close use it. Those little racoon looking fuckers are better pickpockets than chabones on the trains out of Constitution. Personally I would skip the poncho and just accept that you're going to get wet. If you can buy a waterproof enclosure for your camera, do it. Extra memory cards for the camera, you're really not going to believe how many pictures you're going to take. Above all else remember to pack your sense of wonder, that place is amazing!

Thanks Gonzo.

A few things I learned on my Iguazu trip

I jsut got back from a trip to Iguazu Falls. Having lived some years in Buffalo, close to Niagara Falls, I'm familiar with big waterfalls, but Iguazu takes it to a whole other level. The breadth of the number of falls over a 1-2 mile range in the canyon is amazing. So here are a few things I did / learned.

-If you got the bucks, stay at the Sheraton, as it is already in the park, and you can walk to the falls very easily on the argentine side, and take the little train to the Garganta del Diablo. Your butt will hurt from the price, but can't beat the convenience. Dinner buffet excellent and massive, breakfast buffet, massive also, but not as inspiring.

-There is a big hotel on the Brazilian side right near the waterfalls, may be a possibility if the real wasn't so strong.

-There is a park fee you have to pay for both the Brazilian and Argentine sides. 160 to 170 pesos approx on each side.

-Bring a poncho, since you'll be on walkways that will be spraying you heavily, but it is so warm it is actually nice. If you don't bring a poncho, bring a 2nd set of clothes to change into later.

-I took a cab right from the airport into Brazil. Look for guys in blue shirts and with I'd badges around the collar. The cabbie I hooked up with was Ramon, for 500 pesos, took me over to the Brazil side, waited for me and then took me back to my hotel. No visa.

-If you are interested in photography, go to the Brazil side, better positioning to get panoramic photos. Plus the last part of the walk takes has the best walkway IMO, in front of Salto Union falls, next to Garganta. Awesome. There is also an elevator at the end of the walk, and you actually can see behind the falls, very cool.

-Apparently now (March) is sort of the end of rainy season, or so I was told by someone, and there was a much larger volume of water than at other times.

-LAN airlines, good. Heard not so nice things about AeroArgentina.

-If you go to the Brazil side, you get to see a lot of mosquitoes. Young brazilian women. Nice! Argentinian side wasn't bad either.

-No real mosquitoes whatsoever during the day. But I heard that the can come out at night.

-Too tired to even think of mongering there. So nothing to report.

-If you're lucky you'll see some very cool animals and birds.

-If you're lucky you will also get to go on sunny day. The Sun. Came out towards the end of my Brazil walk and resulted in some beautiful photos.

-It seems you can wait until a few days before booking hotels and flights, at least in March. Check www.underground.com to see the weather reports. Good to avoid really rainy days.

-I went for about 24 hours over two days, afternoon to afternoon. Enough to see both sides, but not to do the following: the lower trail on the Arg side, boat ride, walk around San Martin island, helicopter ride. But I'm not complaining, took about 300 photos and videos.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzo For This Post:

Brasil. Visa

As of last year Brasil had a two tier entrance policy (like Mexico) you can cross the border into the "tourist areas" with out a visa but there is a second border station if you want to go farther where you will need your passport and visa.

The Sheraton in the park is the place to stay

With is hotel-which is more expensive and has differewnt rates for argentines and people from elsewhere-is actually in the park a short walk from the falls with "falls view" from some of the rooms. I would not stay anywhere else. This is from 6-8 years ago. I have no updated info

7 Wonders of the World

Ex-pat mongers may have seen the report on TN today about how the Iguacu falls made it to the 7 wonders of the world, or something like that.

I am definitely an urban animal and nature is not my thing, but there are exceptions. Iguacu is one. Anybody coming down for a visit to Buenos Aires should really think about doing a side trip to the cataratas. The experience is overwhelming.

No updates on this thread lately. Just curious if anyone has been there lately.

I mention that as everybody asks about the visa situation if you want to cross to Brazil.

In the past, you could easily pass through Ciudad del este, Foz de Iguazu, and Porto Iguacu without.

Going through immigration. If anybody knows that the situation has changed, let us know!

Yes, if you have been watching the news today and seeing all that footage of the waterfalls, and thinking, maybe that would be worth a trip, I say, definitely, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre
    There may be an underground scene for the locals.

Maybe a Privado or 2?

Basically there is nothing to do near the falls at night on the Argie side!

Brazilian side should have Chicas if you are feeling lucky!

Take a big gun with you!

Just ask a few cab drivers for a Privado in town.

Don't expect much!

TL
    Thanks; I settled for a nice dinner at Aqva; will save the big gun for my return to BA today.

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations