Thread: General Restaurant Reports

+ Submit Report
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

El Palacio de la Papa - Florida

I had dinner on a Sunday Night at this place. Service was excellent. I had the baby churrasco well done, which was a big mistake. I think you should always ask for the "jugoso" option.

Anyway this place's especialty is the potato cooked in any possible way. I had the suffle version and it was acceptable. I accompanied the dinner wth a nice bottle of Argentine Red Cabernet Savignon "Caballero de la Cepa". Total cost for two AR$70

A good experience good price-quality ratio. Worth another visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmatad0r
    AR$50 is like, what US$15 right? A large pizza for three 2 beers each (six total), coffee and tip included... Not bad, I think. Anyway I'm coming back next month and I'll go check out the other places. I'll take Jaimito's recomendation and check out Le Continental.

In the other Hand Puerto Cristal would be a place similar to those in Coconut Groove or SO BE here in Miami, a dinner in a place like that here will cost around US$140

I love BA!
    You first said a pizza (size unspecified) and two beers and now you're saying a large pizza, six beers, coffee, and tip. That's a very different story.

I know but

AR$50 is like, what US$15 right? A large pizza for three 2 beers each (six total), coffee and tip included... Not bad, I think. Anyway I'm coming back next month and I'll go check out the other places. I'll take Jaimito's recomendation and check out Le Continental.

In the other Hand Puerto Cristal would be a place similar to those in Coconut Groove or SO BE here in Miami, a dinner in a place like that here will cost around US$140

I love BA!

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    No offence Matadore just me ruminating on the difference between pesos and dollars.
    I was thinking the same thing. $50 sounds like tourist prices or a high-end pizza joint indeed but they pull that sort of thing in the Recoleta. I mean, "right in front of the cemetery" is a dead giveaway. About half that would be more reasonable, including the two beers.

Thinking in pesos

"Try Puerto Montt on Vicente Lopez right in front of the cementery. The Pizza is absolutely great. Not an expensive place. Whole Pizza plus couple of beers for under 50 pesos"

I go to a little parilla in Colegialis and get a whole cow, salad, papa's a litre of beer for my buddy and a coke and agua for me and the bill is 26 pesos and I think I'm splurging.

No offence Matadore just me ruminating on the difference between pesos and dollars.

Funny enough

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
    I got a dozen empanadas there the other day and thought they sucked. Le Continental next door was much better.
    In my full 4 days in BA it never occured to me to try the famous Argentinean Empanadas. I guess I didn't miss anything at least at Puerto Montt.

ELMATADOR

Puerto Madero

I went with a regular non pro GF to dine at Puerto Cristal in Puerto Madero. A Sea Food place. The service is first class. From the bread (oh the bread!) to the butter, to the entree and finishing with the dessert. An overall excelent experience. Dinner for 2, bottle of wine included AR$150. Ask for a table next to the windows facing the water, very romantic!

Puerto Cristal
    Alicia Moreau de Justo 1082
    Tel: 4331-3669
    Reservation Suggested

Puerto Montt´s empanadas

Quote Originally Posted by Elmatad0r
    Try Puerto Montt on Vicente Lopez right in front of the cementery. The Pizza is absolutely great. Not an expensive place. Whole Pizza plus couple of beers for under 50 pesos

ELMATADOR
    I got a dozen empanadas there the other day and thought they sucked. Le Continental next door was much better.

Quick lunch at Recoleta

Try Puerto Montt on Vicente Lopez right in front of the cementery. The Pizza is absolutely great. Not an expensive place. Whole Pizza plus couple of beers for under 50 pesos

ELMATADOR

Quote Originally Posted by Incaboy
    However, this example was THE SALTIEST DISH I have ever been served. Nasty!
    It looks like they take their city name a little too seriously.

Salty salteno at Rincon Salteno

My last meal in the city was at Rincon Salteno on A.J. Carranza in Palermo Hollywood. This place offers northern Argentine specialities, influenced by the native cultures in the area.

I started with three empanadas de horno (baked), one beef, one chicken, and one humitas. These were spicier and more flavorful than most I've had but they were also a bit too salty. I've eaten at many salteno (referring to the city of Salta) places before and have found oversalting to be a common issue. Still, not bad.

Now on to the locro. You can sort of think of this as a criollo version of our chilli. I usually like this dish a lot. However, this example was THE SALTIEST DISH I have ever been served. Nasty! I could tell that if a pound of salt were omitted, it would have tasted pretty darn good. I mean, it looked good. I quickly downed an entire large bottle of agua con gas and with two-thirds of my locro left before me, I was parched. The cook comes out to see how I'm doing. He looks to be a good 300 pounds or more. I speculate that 90 percent of that is water retention from massive salt intake. This was almost comical.

I ask for the check, pay my bill, and hustle home to chug a half bottle of Coca Light.

Cheap Eats Under 1 Peso!

Well, since I often wander around with no real idea where I´m going (pretty much like my life), I come across interesting places to eat.

Yesterday, before getting lost, I went to a movie on Levalle, and got the cheapest meal of my trip so far. 1/4 pizza for 95 centavos. It was Ugi´s a low cost chain I´d eaten at last year. You can get a whole pizza for less than 4 pesos. The quality was okay, and even two slices was pretty filling.

Puerto Leyenda Tenedor Libre

For anyone staying in the poorer part of town

Puerto Leyenda Tenedor Libre
    1119 Rivadavia is not a bad bet at

weekdays lunch $9 dinner $10

weekends lunch 10 dinner $12

plus drink

Grill Oriental

This is my first post and first trip to Argentina,

If you are on a budget for lunch, Grill Oriental on Calle Pellegrini is a great buy at 16 pesos per person for all-you-can-eat, decent salad bar but awesome parilla and pizza. The AR$16 covers only soda, (non gas-water?), 1 dessert, and meal. Again, if on a budget enjoy this spot.

Bio - Organic vegetarian in Palermo Hollywood

I tried Bio this Sunday for lunch. The menu is composed of organic vegetarian dishes. When you arrive, they give you a small glass of the house ginger lemonade. I ordered two empanadas to start and the daily special, spinach crępes.

The baked empanadas contained tofu mixed with a tomato salsa and olives. This was tasty but I did not care for the outside which was made with buckwheat flour. I like buckwheat pancakes and crępes but it didn't work for these empanadas, leaving a tough shell which was difficult to cut through even with my knife.

Speaking of crępes, the spinach crępes were wonderful. I received four crępes folded in quarters filled with spinach and I believe pine nuts. A light tomato salsa was poured on top.

I like to stay thin and without access to my gym back home and all the meat here I need to pay more attention to what I eat. Bio seems to be one of the few places where you can get a decent portion of vegetables. I had been going into withdrawal.

I looked around and the salads that most of the others were eating looked quite elaborate and filling. I'll try one of those next time.

Lunch with agua con gas was about $16.

Now that I've eaten at Bio, I won't feel guilty about my next lomo de bife.

Bio
    Humboldt 2199 (corner of Guatemala)
    Palermo Hollywood
    4774-3880

Posting Limitations