Thread: General Restaurant Reports

+ Submit Report
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Campo Bravo

I went to Campo Bravo last night. It is better than most places in Recoleta where I have eaten. A big steak, green salad (with no anchovies), empanada and water was only 28 pesos which also makes it cheaper than many places in Recoleta. The steak was very good. The menu was available in english, and the staff was efficient considering how many people were there. Only problem was the lineup to get in. I had to wait about 15 minutes outside before getting a table. It was a Sunday night at about 10:45pm when I arrived. The girl who worked there was handing out free drinks to people waiting outside. She offered a glass of wine or champain. Inside it was very crowded. The taxi was about 7 pesos each way from Recoleta. So if the taxi is factored in the total cost would be about 42 pesos. Typically, the same dinner in Recoleta is about 40-50 pesos depending on where I have eaten. So, really the overall price is about the same, but better food at Campo Bravo.

Montana Steakhouse in Recoleta

If you can get past the jarryingly out of place outfits and signs, it has pretty good food for Recoleta. I had the 500g lomo, rice, chorizo, salad, a copa de vino tinto, and coffee for $AR55 + tip. The lomo was butterflied so it would cook in a reasonable time but it was just the way I like it (medium-rare) after ordering "jugoso" (juicy). They also had an inclusive menu for $AR26.

And a nice ass in a short demin skirt is always nice to have walking to and from your table at dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Boy
    Anywhere in BA serve pancakes with maple syrup?
    I've never seen such a thing here. Panqueques, which you will see on menus, are something different. If you must have pancakes, I would try one of the American hotels like the Marriott. If they have a buffet, I bet they have pancakes.

American Breakfast

Anywhere in BA serve pancakes with maple syrup?

Christophe

I had a wonderful duck confit at Christophe, a small French bistro with a hip atmosphere in Palermo Hollywood at Fitz Roy 1994. They had other French bistro classics on the chalkboard menu along with some Argentina-inspired creations. It's funny that I love Argentina but two food genres that I dislike are steakhouses and Italian food! It makes it a bit difficult for me whenever I visit this great country.

Quote Originally Posted by Crypton
    As a vegetarian (don't ask) will I starve to death in Buenas Aires? I know Argentina is famous for its beef, but are there places one could get a vegetarian entre (something cooked - not a freaking salad). Thanks!

Crypton
    I haven't tried it yet but Bio in Palermo Viejo has been recommended to me as a well-regarded vegetarian restaurant. I'm not vegetarian but at home I tend to mix vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals thus my interest in this type of place.

Palermo Viejo has many restaurants that break away from steakhouses and confiterias.

Siga La Vaca

Puerto Madero - Southern End

All you can eat buffet steak house. 29 pesos per person including beer or wine. I ordered beer and got a 40 oz or so pitcher at my table. Also includes bottled water, salad bar and dessert. For this type of restaurant it is very nice. Lots of Argentine families on a saturday night. Had to wait an hour for a table.

Lots of selections on both the salad bar and at the grill. The meat I had was very good. I had pork ribs, lomo, beef short ribs (asado), chicken and brochette of chicken (small portions of each). All were very good. For the money its a great bargain, and the location at the port is awsome.

Dessert was chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce over top. Dulce de leche and bread pudding (Argentine standards) were offered as well as 4 0r 5 others.

Highly recommended for this type of restaurant. Good selections, good quality and one price pays all.

Limon Tree - Tenedor Libre

Located on the 500 block of Suipacha (after Lavalle, going towards Tucuman). Quasi chinese and Argentine parilla. Lots of hot/cold buffet items, some chinese some not and grilled meat as well, like chicken, beef short ribs and sausages. Dessert is also included on the buffet - ice cream, dulce de leche, fruit salads etc.

Not by any stretch gourmet but filling, quick and not bad at all. 8 pesos.
    10.50 with a bottle of water, 1.50p tip = 12 pesos

Open till 4pm for lunch for late sleeping mongers who have been busy all night!

Ceasar Salad

Rather than muddy up the 2005 Travel Reports Area, I thought this was a good place to pontificate on the Argentina Ceasar Salad. I have watched over a few years people ordering Ceasar salad on Restaurant Row, with some humor.

Nobody has ever gotten what they thought of as a real Ceasar Salad. Chunks of Anchovies, (which some very fancy restaurants in NAmerica do but normally we like ours pulverized into non-recognition), 5 croutons the size of mini loafs, minimal if any creamy dressing.

With so many other fresh green varieties in the other salads, the likes of which you seldom see in NAmerica, my advice is to select those and forget Ceasar. If you need creamy dressing, ask for a side of salsa golfo or mayonesa.

It is a bit like someone really wanting a Pizza Hut pizza in BA and not finding anything like it. Go Local, you'll enjoy it more.

MAG

La Brigada

In San Telmo,

465 Estatos Unidos (and Defensa). Very cool place. Lots of character and charm. Futbol posters/jerseys etc all over the walls. Good parilla. Went with a chica and a great meal for 150p. Included, 2 empanadas - one meat and one cream corn, a provaleta (grilled round of cheese), salad of cherry tomatoes, cheese and some green herb, a large cut of bife de chorizo, an order of chinchinilles (sp), a bottle of water , a bottle of Bodega de Septima Syrah (50p), a cafe con leche and warm bread served at the table (like bisquits).

Good service. Hear its crowded on the weekends. Walked in last night at 10pm and got seated right away, but it was busy. I would reccomend.

5 pesos cab from Micro Center.

Campo Bravo

This restaurant is located in Barrio Norte at Baez 292. Jackson and Capt Dave were dining there last night and I decided to join them. It is located on a “restaurant row” of sorts and is approximately halfway between downtown and the Mansion. Because of its location it is not a tourist restaurant but was filled to the brim with locals.

Carne is the specialty here and my mixed brochette of steak and chicken was excellent as was a mixed grilled vegtable plate. Comments from others were that their steaks were done to perfection and very tasty. My assessment is that the quality of the food here is better than Recoleta at a fraction of the cost. The total bill was about 160 pesos for the five of us.

Nunez

Nunez is the pueblo past Belgrano. I can't give you the cross street, as I'm driving impared in BA. Call them for info. No one speaks english with any fluency, but they are kind and want to communicate.

Bob

Bob do you remember the cross street?

Santa Fe turns into Cabildo in Palermo, do you remember where on Cabildo, was it in Palermo, Colagealis or Belgrano? Sounds like a good place and I've been staying by Cabildo and Fred La Croz so it may be close to me.

Thanks

Los Sauces, Cabildo

I have eaten here several times also, always forget the name but know where it is. The eats are really good, nothing fancy. I especially like the cuadro (sp??), a big chunk of nicely roasted beef. Thanks for the report, now I will remember the name and not have to look out the window and tell the taxista, that one!
    MAG

Los Sauces-Asador Criollo
    Av. Cabildo 4601
    4703 0330

Posting Limitations