Thread: General Restaurant Reports

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

It's very sad to see Starbucks entering Argentina.

Hopefully after the initial publicity it's a huge failure and they'll get out within a couple of years like Wendy's, Pizza Hut and Dunkin Donuts did. Or worst case scenario two or three stay open around Recoleta.

Argentines are usually pretty good at quickly ejecting this kind of trash from their country.

Starbucks is even worse than the others because the cafe is an integral part of the Argentine culture (hamburgers aren't).

Don't try to out-dick, Dickhead.

I hate cocksuckers that try stuff like that. I guess they figure you can't add and hold your liquor at the same time. I'd have been pissed that they didn't have the beer for 3 Pesos, either. Say hi to your tall friend for me.

Lots of prices are rising. Even L'Alliance had, "Our prices will vary today" on Monday. I asked, which ones were going to be lower? None, of course.

Run

This place is on San Martin between Orleans and El Establo, on the odd numbered side. It has been advertising regularly in whatever that stupid English language paper is. It touts its all female bartending team and its 3 peso draft beers.

Went there today with a friend and there were no 3 peso draft beers but a long list of Happy Hour drinks on a blackboard, from 1700 to 2200 and we arrived at 1815. Among the happy hour drinks was Cuba Libre for 8 pesos. Bueno. We had three each and received nice service from the one and only bartender, who was female and was above average in the looks department. With each round we received popcorn, peanuts, and-or very good batatas fritas or sweet potato chips. All was good.

Until the check arrived to the tune of 102 pesos. Let us review the math. 2 guys times 3 rounds times 8 pesos. I know most of you cannot do that math but it is definitely not 102. Conveniently my much larger wing man is in the bathroom, but I question the waitress. She says and I quote, "That is for ron nacional and this was Bacardi." I said, "Did we ask for Bacardi?" and she conceded we did not. Furthermore it was NOT Bacardi. I know the difference.

So a lengthy conversation ensued between her and someone, and then someone else, and then someone else. She returned with a bright smile and a new check for 54 pesos. "Everything is okay now." I tell her, "I am pretty good with numbers and 8 x 3 x 2 is 48 and not 54." So she comes back with another check for 48 pesos and I tip her 5 pesos and then everything actually was okay.

So keep on eye on this place. I don't think it will last too long. There was hardly anyone in the place and we were there for two hours.

Various Restaurants

Juana M---- On Carlos Pelligrini near Libertador. Across the street from La Recova where El Marisol, Sorrentos, and Piegras is located. Kinda hard to find. Its down a flight of stairs from street level in the basement of building.

Had the pork baby back ribs with very good BBQ sauce. Very tasty and good size. 32 pesos. Includes free salad bar with lots to choose from.

La Marisgueria----Las Heras 2745 near Tagle. This is a fresh fish market with a casual dining area in the second floor. Had Arrollado de Brotola Napolitana. Basically a white fish in a tomatoe sauce for 22 pesos. Not bad for a change from steak and pasta. They also have seafood empanadas as well. About a 15 minute walk from 1631 Junin 3d. So you can fuck and eat, or eat and fuck.

Dada-----A resto bar on San Martin a few doors down from Filo. Had a nice trout for lunch here. Veggies are cooked in a wok and not overcooked like a lot of chefs do here. Check their chalk board which changes daily.

La Cholitas-----On Rodriguez Pena next to Cummana near Santa Fe. Reasonably price Parilla but didn't care for their Asado de Tira---Ribs. Bland.

Slow service and they turn down the overhead lights and put a candle on the table. Need a flashlight to even read the menu. WNR.

Bonjour Pizza-----Corner of Colonel Diaz and Guemes. Very good carne lasagne. I like that they give a nice pate with the bread. Get a seat by the long open rectangular windows to enjoy the parade of chicas.

Angelin Pizza

Heard so much about this pizza place so I had to try it for myself. Be prepared to wait for quite awhile as this place is packed and according to the other clients that I talked to it is always like at any given time. I saw someone eating a pizza without muzzarela cheese on top and decided to have it to. The guy cutting the pizza proudly explained to me that this is the specialty of the house called "pizza canchera". It had the mandatory tomato sauce, pepper, onion and some other spices that I cannot identify. Not bad for a pizza without muzzarela. Also tried the jamon why queso and faena. Now, I understand why people keep coming back here after all these years (they opened in 1938) the pizza is good. However, forget about classy interior decoration and ambience as they don't have it here. Try to eat your pizza as fast as you can and head out because the longer you stay the more you will smell like fried food as the empanadas are deep fried in the same section where people eat.

BTW, unlike other pizza joints, payment is made after you've eaten. The person slicing the pizza will give you a piece of paper indicating the running total cost of the slices of pizza and drinks that you've ordered. When you're done give the paper to the cashier to pay.

Details: Address - Avenida Cordoba 5270 in Villa Crespo.

Close to the Juan be. Justo bridge.

Tel No. For takeout 4774-3836

Only open in the evening according to one of the clients

Angelin Pizza

Heard so much about this pizza place so I had to try it for myself. Be prepared to wait for quite awhile as this place is packed and according to the other clients that I talked to it is always like at any given time. I saw someone eating a pizza without muzzarela cheese on top and decided to have it to. The guy cutting the pizza proudly explained to me that this is the specialty of the house called "pizza canchera". It had the mandatory tomato sauce, pepper, onion and some other spices that I cannot identify. Not bad for a pizza without muzzarela. Also tried the jamon why queso and faena. Now, I understand why people keep coming back here after all these years (they opened in 1938) the pizza is good. However, forget about classy interior decoration and ambience as they don't have it here. Try to eat your pizza as fast as you can and head out because the longer you stay the more you will smell like fried food as the empanadas are deep fried in the same section where people eat.

BTW, unlike other pizza joints, payment is made after you've eaten. The person slicing the pizza will give you a piece of paper indicating the running total cost of the slices of pizza and drinks that you've ordered. When you're done give the paper to the cashier to pay.

Details: Address - Avenida Cordoba 5270 in Villa Crespo.

Close to the Juan be. Justo bridge.

Tel No. For takeout 4774-3836

Only open in the evening according to one of the clients

Merengue Dancer

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    Only Salsa and Cuban music of up to 50 years ago, like Xavier Cugat. The place is perfect for you and seems very safe. Cum on down! P. S--I haven't had time for Abril, but sessioned with the Ecudorian for the 6th time today. Any chica would love this place.
    The place sounds great! I only mention Merengue, because it's so much easier to dance to and so much easier to find a Dominican dancing partner to dance with.

Best,

Helpmann

Maybe I Need to Return a Bit Sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    Cuba in BA! First, a Cuban singer, then an old style Cuban floor show. Mucho dancing by the crowd of AR's, RD's, and Cubans. The place is packed with local AR chicas on all 3 floors. It is like going back in time by 50 years! Cover at 15 pesos includes a cerveza. A full Cuban dinner menu. We left at 230am=my brother, gfe Letica and I. Letica tells me that after 3am, they put away the tables and it is Cuban music and dancing all night long. Definetly a big step up from the Dominican Discotecque, Bis Flow, that I have reviewed before. Of course, the place is for the adventurers, not the older sissies. A great place for the young at mind guys, like Helpmann and I!
    I would love to hear more reports about this place. Is it just Salsa or do they play Merengue as well?

Thanks,
    Helpmann

La Casa Polaca

Having lived in Eastern Europe for seven years, I suddenly had a craving for Hungarian or Polish food. Searched the local restaurant listings and came up with La Casa Polaca as a possible option. They have a website www.casapolaca.com.ar

Asked them if they have goulash and the waitress proudly said "of course". It was a bit on the bland side but passable enough for me to be able to finish it with a smile on my face. Had an apple strudel for dessert, served the eastern european way as opposed to the Argentine way of wrapping the apple like a spring roll. Price is reasonable and not on the pricey side.

Media lunas

Porteņos have a penchant for eating facturas, or pastries, at anytime of the day. However, I only take them for breakfast to start my day right. Being a coffee addict I always take it with good media lunas or croissants. I finally found what I can call a perfect media luna de manteca. Perfect texture and color, just sweet enough not to overpower the coffee. The pastry shop is called Confiteria La Argentina located at Avenida Libertador 6481 in the Belgrano neighborhood. It may be a bit far from centro but its well worth it. At P 1.30 a piece it should be.

Excellent Parrilla

Hotel recommended Parrilla Pena, 682 Rodriguez Pena.

Nicer parrilla with locals only. Prices are reasonable, 30 pesos for a full bife de lomo, 24 for one-half. Steak was incredibly tender and tasty. Tastes stays in the mouth for a long time.

Calling Bad Boy

Bad I haven't been keeping up with the forum. You are always hitting good places in Las Canitas and Palermo. How about Bads top 10, say graded on Service (impossible to find but hotness off wait staff can be considered, counts as well) quality, menu and presentation.

Oh yes before I forget, the old Soviet Union sucked and Lenin was a pansy.

Great parilla visited by the locals

Al Carbon.

Lavalle 663, Florida Mall, 4328-0824

Casa Cruz, Uriate 1658

GQ Magazine recently had a small blurb about this resturant / bar as a venue for Maybellined women from New York City and London to hang out.

Is there any mongering opportunities at the bar area?

Some strange reason you crave Indian veggie food.

This place is clean.

Very reasonable prices.

And close replica to real indian food.

It's very very difficult to replicate what you get in india, but this is quite good.

www.tulasivegetariano.com.ar

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations