Thread: General Restaurant Reports

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tim
    A group of us went to a great little place in Palermo called "Azema" last night (Angel Carranza 1875) Wonderful Pan-asian cuisine, service, and decor. Definitely a place to dine deluxe on TGIF prices. Reservation is a must though since it was even packed on a Tuesday (4774-4191) Cudos to Stormin on several excellent resturant choices this trip!
    Just a quick note for your personal culture: Azema is not "pan asian", the theme is creole with creole cuisine. Check the decoration on the walls, the name of the meals, the creole hats the cooks are wearing. It all relates to french tropical islands: la Reunion, la Guadeloupe, la Martinique, Saint Bartelemy

IRIFUNE - Paraguay 412- great sushi, great attitude

This place was FANTASTIC. The rolls are excelently prepared and the staff has that Japanese "kill you with kindness" vibe. If you were cursing them out I'm sure that they would still smile and do their best to please you. I really recommend the teriyaki chicken appetizer. The chicken is so moist and tender and the sauce is amazing. My favorite roll had salmon and avocado. The bad news is that it is EXPENSIVE. It was $230 pesos for 2 w / wine and dessert. Definately not a place that I will be going to often but I will return and the next time I'll go alone. For those of you who already know about Mumbai it is just down the street about a half of a block going towards Reconquista.

Empire Thai

I ate their last year in November. Like you said the food is nothing special, being from the Bay Area (SF)

I met the owner, nice guy from the East Coast, N. Y. Or Jersey.

I taught the staff some Thai phases. Such as hello and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy
    Empire Thai, at 427 Tres Sargentes, nearest cross street Paraguay.

Actually not that great Thai food compared to what I know as Thai food in the San Francisco Bay Area, which I think is a pretty good place to get Thai next to Thailand itself.

However, if you miss actual spicy foods while in Argentina since it seems Argentines think even a tiny little bit of spice is "peycante", try this place. Seriously, it's some weird tasting food, not bad in the sense of non-edible, just not really what I'd even classify as Thai food. But it can get pretty damn spicy and that's what I wanted.

Green curry is nothing. Zero spice so I thought on first visit this place was another Argentine spice level place saying they had spicy stuff but really wasn't. But tonight I tried their Red Curry with chicken / beef / etc that you choose, and wow. Even being a spice lover, and even being told it was "very spicy" in a real warning kind of way so that I actually said ok, please make it less spicy than normal, it was flaming hot.

Average food, but the only place I've found so far with actual spicy, even flaming hot, plates.

NYT Article - 'Dining Finds in Buenos Aires'

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/11/1...enosaires.html

I don't know how long they keep this stuff around. So if you are interested I suggest that you read this ahora mimiso.

Bob
    Last edited by AllIWantIsLove; 11-19-06 at 17:37. Reason: Had to fix the URL.

Thumbs up Azema last night

A group of us went to a great little place in Palermo called "Azema" last night (Angel Carranza 1875) Wonderful Pan-asian cuisine, service, and decor. Definitely a place to dine deluxe on TGIF prices. Reservation is a must though since it was even packed on a Tuesday (4774-4191) Cudos to Stormin on several excellent resturant choices this trip!

Thumbs down Sushi Night

Sushi Night - 2791 Araoz - is actually the name of this place. Do yourself a favor and head someplace else when that desire for good sushi hits you. This place is a disaster from the word "go".

Walked in door to a strange smell - This was my first clue, should have done an about-face. They put mayo or cream cheese in most of their rolls - not my cup of tea!

Even the "sushi" rice is not good, in addition to bad service.

They have a sushi "Libre" offering - or all you and eat for 39p, that has recently been raised from 33p for a resrticted selection of menu or 48p for no restrictions.

Would recommend that you avoid this place in lieu of a higher quality - albeit more expensive location.

Cabaņa Las Lilas

Alicia Moreau de Justo 516, (Puerto Madero) Tel: 4313-1336

If you want to go posh at lunch, this is a good option. It is not recommended for vegetarians. Local businessmen and and other varied upper crust twats go there for business lunches. The outside veranda is good for watching chicas go past and rating their racks.

As far as the food goes as long as you are prepared for a large dead animal to be plonked on your plate all is fine. Excellent quality, good service but pricey as hell. (I was not paying - yipee! 2 people - kidneys and sweetmeats for appertizer, half-bottle of wine (OK - we're wimps) flan and the biggest ef*ing steak I have ever seen $150 pesos.

Do recommend it, if budget is not an issue.

Polvo

Smile Teodora - Italian Food on Arenales.

I met 4 fellow mongers for a nice Italian supper at Teodora's restuarant and Bar jst around the corner from El Alamo. One of the mongers was a fairly regular guest so we decided to try it out based on his recommendation. I enjoyed a fairly good mixto salad and spaghetti dish that was pretty good. The food was not too expensive and the company with dinner was fun as always! I reccommend Teodora in the 1400 block of Arenales, just around the corner from El Alamo if you want a inexpensive Italian dinner and don't want to travel all the way into Broccolinos near the triangle prior to your mongering evening!

Thumbs down Montana on Junin stay away!

Quote Originally Posted by Foghat
    I got diarhea twice from eating at Montana parrilla on Junin. I had an ensalada, bife de lomo, and bife de chirizo the other time. I don't know what made me sick.
    Had the same thing, ordered a pasta dish, it was so bad I ate hardly any of it, but enough to make me sick. Very expensive and very bad food, great combo, huh?

Its 3/4 full at 6pm and full at 7pm then the lines start about 9pm. Not much of a bar so you have to get a table. Tons of 25 year olds. Good luck.

How early do I have to get to Cumana to get a table? I've tried the last couple of nights. I've gotten there at 9 when I thought it was early, but the place was packed with a line out the front. I just want to go because the food is supposed to be great and cheap.

Club de Vinos

In Palermo viejo on Caberra. Went on Tuesday night 10pm last week per high reccomedations of oleaguia and I think Fodors. They did not have their act together. Decent interior but nothing special. Slow night with only 20% tables occupied (as was most of Palermo that night) The hostess reccomended the 'campo terrerine' appitizer. It was a weird pate of lamb with a few leaves of arlugala and a few drops of red wine reduction. Not sure what the chef was thinking. The lambs chops were cooked to perfection but the potatoe puree was tepid. The waiter (another person) forget to bring second glass of wine and the first waitress forgot the puree. Team service sucks. My date had a small but decent lomo. For the money there are much better in BaAs. BTW this place seems to have a very active live music calender mid week to weekends. I would pass by here again for a jazz show but eat at another place.

Thanks

This is a really good website, appreciate you passing it along!

Wish we could get Jackson to design a feature for locating private apartments, clubs, etc. With this interactive map locator (something I would be willing to pay for)

Regards,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan23
    Seems that German food is in short supply here in Buenos Aires.
    There's a German restaurant across the square from the main entrance to Recoleta Cemetery, a couple doors down from the Etoile Hotel. Never eaten there, however.

There are 10 German restaurants in Buenos Aires listed on www.guiaoleo.com.ar.

Question Any Fresh Hot Pretzels Anywhere?

Seems that German food is in short supply here in Buenos Aires. Anyone ever run across a bakery / cafe with fresh hot pretzels?

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations