Thread: Argentina Residency

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Facundo
    On Monday of this week I went to the Department of Immigration in Retiro to apply for my Residency and DNI. I got there at 8:00 AM and by 8:40 AM I was out of there with the Certificate of Residency (Certificado de Residencia Precaria) good for 90 days. I was told to return in 30 days to pickup the document giving me full residency. In the meanwhile I can use the temporary residency document to travel in and out of Argentina, etc.

I presented the following documents which were notarized by a notary and the apostille stamp attached in my country. The documents were translated into Spanish and legalized here in Buenos Aires:

1. Letter from my broker stating I was retired (I retired early) and withdrawing funds under the 72t regulations. It's important that the retirement letter clearly state the bank or broker will transfer monthly to an Argentinean bank US$XXXX to meet the residency requirement of the applicant having at least AR$2,000 monthly.

2. A criminal background check from the last place I spent the last five years. Make sure in all documents submitted, the name is exactly as it appears on your passport. They will reject the application if the name on the passport for example is John Doe Monger and your criminal background check name is John D. Monger. On all the documents the name should be exactly the same.

3. An official certificate of birth with the apostille stamp.

Other documents submitted without the apostille stamp:

4. Argentinean criminal background check (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales) This document can be done at Tucumán 1353 or by making a reservation by calling 0800-666-0055 or by making a reservation on line www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar. The wait time to electronically do your prints is minutes when you have a reservation. There are at least seven sites you can go to when you make a reservation by telephone or on line. The cost is between AR$50 and 25 pesos depending on how fast you want your report.

5. Two passport photos. This is a new requirement as of July of this year. The photos should be 4 by 4 (4 por 4) and be taken with the blue background.

6. A copy of your entire passport.

7. The last three withdrawal receipts or slips showing withdrawals made from an ATM. They sprung this on me the last minute and I just happen to have three withdrawal slips in my billfold. The amount or dates of the slips don't matter.

I was told by the person reviewing my application that the supervisor of the residency program is sympathetic and flexible. When she took the application to the supervisor she returned in less than two minutes stating all is fine with my application, except they would like to see three ATM withdrawal slips.

I also took with me copies of my Argentinean driving license, payments of utilities, bank statements from my local and international bank, escritura (I think a rental agreement, if you don't own an apartment, will help the application process) By the way, they were impressed with my having a local bank account without the DNI. However, none of these documents in the end were used by the immigration application reviewer.

A few reminders, make copies of all the original documents, and have ready to hand the AR$200 peso application fee. The fee is paid only if your application is accepted. Also, I used the translation services of Viviana Cortinez Tel. N° 4553-5559 e-mail vivcortinez@datamarkets. Com. Ar She came highly recommended by Thomaso a frequent knowledgeable poster regarding visas and residency requirements.

Suerte
    Just a follow-up on my residency application. My residency document was ready to be picked up by me 17 days after they had given me a 90 day residency certificate (this certificate was given to me on the same day I submitted and the department of immigration accepted my application)

I was instructed to go to the Registro Nacional de las Personas located on calle 25 De Mayo 155 in order to get the DNI. Also, I was instructed to have the following original documents in order to apply for the DNI:

1. Original birth certificate with the apostille stamp translated into the spanish and legalized (this is the same document I needed for my residency application)

2. The certificate of residency issued by the Department of Immigration.

3. Original Certificado de Domicilio issued by my local police station. Make sure the Certificado is not more than 90 day old.

When I got to 25 De Mayo (located in Centro near La Casa Rosada) and after waiting about two hours, I was told my papers were in order and they gave me a date late in November to actually apply for the DNI. The governermental internet site states they will issue the DNI in 15 days after submitting the application. However, I was told it might take anywhere from 2 to 4 months to issue the DNI because they are drowning in paperwork from the more than 1 million Mercosur citizens seeking residency in Argentina. This is astounding because they had estimated that there were only 400,000 illegal Mercosur residents in Argentina.

By the way, it appears they treat Europeans and North Americans differently than Mercosur applicants for residency in Argentina. For a Mercosur citizen it takes up to two years and different cumbersome phases to get residency. They gave me temporary residency status the same day they accepted my application and residency 17 days later. Also, whereas for North Americans and Europeans the application for residency is always open, it's not the case for Mercosur citizens. Argentina at times shuts down the application for residency for Mercosur residents. Just an interesting side note, the Constitution of Argentina states that Argentina prefers immigration from european countries.

Suerte

Gentlemen

Thank you very much.

El Greco

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco
    Gentlemen,

I am about to get my Brazilian permanent resident visa.

Therefore, by being a permanent resident of Brazil, am I entitled to any benefits in Argentina due to the Mercosur alliance?

Thanks.

El Greco
    You will be able to travel on your Brasilian document within Mercosur without a passport (unless the destination country requires a visa for your nationality). There may be other benefits that I'm not aware of, possibly more to come as Mercosur solidifies.

All the info you need to get your Argentine residency is here:

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/

or more specifically here for non Mercosure residents:

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migrac...e_mercosur.asp

and for Mercosur residents

http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/migrac...n_mercosur.asp

The address is:

Hipólito Irigoyen 952.

And the working hours is 07:30 to 13:30

Silly question?

Gentlemen,

I am about to get my Brazilian permanent resident visa.

Therefore, by being a permanent resident of Brazil, am I entitled to any benefits in Argentina due to the Mercosur alliance?

Thanks.

El Greco

I believe you can open a savings account with a cuit or cuil (tax number that you also need to buy property) get it from AFIP.

Residency and DNI application (Facundo's post)

I thought you needed a DNI to open a bank account there. How did you get a bank account without a DNI? Also, were you able to transfer funds from a US bank account into your AR bank account? Did the exchange rate seem fair?

Thanks,

Bob

Residency and DNI application

On Monday of this week I went to the Department of Immigration in Retiro to apply for my Residency and DNI. I got there at 8:00 AM and by 8:40 AM I was out of there with the Certificate of Residency (Certificado de Residencia Precaria) good for 90 days. I was told to return in 30 days to pickup the document giving me full residency. In the meanwhile I can use the temporary residency document to travel in and out of Argentina, etc.

I presented the following documents which were notarized by a notary and the apostille stamp attached in my country. The documents were translated into Spanish and legalized here in Buenos Aires:

1. Letter from my broker stating I was retired (I retired early) and withdrawing funds under the 72t regulations. It's important that the retirement letter clearly state the bank or broker will transfer monthly to an Argentinean bank US$XXXX to meet the residency requirement of the applicant having at least AR$2,000 monthly.

2. A criminal background check from the last place I spent the last five years. Make sure in all documents submitted, the name is exactly as it appears on your passport. They will reject the application if the name on the passport for example is John Doe Monger and your criminal background check name is John D. Monger. On all the documents the name should be exactly the same.

3. An official certificate of birth with the apostille stamp.

Other documents submitted without the apostille stamp:

4. Argentinean criminal background check (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales) This document can be done at Tucumán 1353 or by making a reservation by calling 0800-666-0055 or by making a reservation on line www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar. The wait time to electronically do your prints is minutes when you have a reservation. There are at least seven sites you can go to when you make a reservation by telephone or on line. The cost is between AR$50 and 25 pesos depending on how fast you want your report.

5. Two passport photos. This is a new requirement as of July of this year. The photos should be 4 by 4 (4 por 4) and be taken with the blue background.

6. A copy of your entire passport.

7. The last three withdrawal receipts or slips showing withdrawals made from an ATM. They sprung this on me the last minute and I just happen to have three withdrawal slips in my billfold. The amount or dates of the slips don't matter.

I was told by the person reviewing my application that the supervisor of the residency program is sympathetic and flexible. When she took the application to the supervisor she returned in less than two minutes stating all is fine with my application, except they would like to see three ATM withdrawal slips.

I also took with me copies of my Argentinean driving license, payments of utilities, bank statements from my local and international bank, escritura (I think a rental agreement, if you don't own an apartment, will help the application process) By the way, they were impressed with my having a local bank account without the DNI. However, none of these documents in the end were used by the immigration application reviewer.

A few reminders, make copies of all the original documents, and have ready to hand the AR$200 peso application fee. The fee is paid only if your application is accepted. Also, I used the translation services of Viviana Cortinez Tel. N° 4553-5559 e-mail vivcortinez@datamarkets.com.ar She came highly recommended by Thomaso a frequent knowledgeable poster regarding visas and residency requirements.

Suerte

Antecedentes Penales

Can confirm the report below. I phoned 0800-666-055 yesterday and they gave me a choice of appointments for this afternoon. Went down to Piedras 115, got a number, paid my 25.70$ at the desk next to the receptionist, waited two minutes, and my number came up. Showed them my passport and gave them a copy. A few questions (father's and mother's names) gave my prints on an electronic reader, read and signed the form. Asked to come back for the report in 7 days. In and out in less than 10 minutes, I couldn't believe I was in Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276
    Found.

When we went back at 10:15am there were not too many people waiting, unlike Tucuman which is a zoo.
    Thomaso,

Thanks for the information. I agree, Tucuman is a zoo in the morning. The few times I needed prints taken I went to Tucuman in the afternoon around 3:30 and there were no lines. At this hour I was able to fill out the form, pay at the bank inside Tucuman, get my prints taken and I was out of there in less than ten minutes.

Criminal History

Found out this morning about a new system for those who need a antecedentes penal done here in BA.

While at Immigration. I saw a poster advising that you can now make an appointment for taking your fingerprints:

0800-666-055 Call between 8am and 1830

WWW.DNREC.JUS.GOV.AR

Also I have noticed alot of civil procedures needing a turno have the option of online appointments.

Anyone who has seen the lines for the 1300 block of Tucuman or at Immigraion may want to look into this.

By the way, the Immigration Antecedentes was not too bad. Got there at 630am, they open at 730 am. About 125 people waiting at 730 - but not all there for the same reasons.

After you enter go down the right side of the building to a small door at the end of the hall.

They give you the application then you have to go to the Banco Ciudad (a couple of blocks away, next door to Sheraton on N. Alem) to pay the fee. Problem is the bank doesn't open until 10am. Once you have paid at the bank walk back and they process your prints. Pick up varies on what fee you paid (1 day, 2 days or 5 days)

Remember to bring a copy of your passport or DNI, a copy kiosko is n the outside hall down from the bathrooms. 15 centavos per page.

When we went back at 10:15am there were not too many people waiting, unlike Tucuman which is a zoo.

I never had any problem entering Argentina over the last 3 yrs or so. I always come in on a one way ticket, and always leave on a one way ticket, but there has not been one remark regarding this.

On my last trip back in July 2007, the American Airlines check in guy said they no longer ask for a return ticket from the country you are flying to. Before I had my residence status I used to buy a refundable one way ticket from BA to Montevideo.

Since the thread hasn't been moved yet-

As people have noted, return tickets don't seem to be verified when entering Argentina.

But the airlines often verify that you have one when you check in for your departing flight to Argentina. They can get large fines for allowing someone to board who does not meet visa requirements of the destination country. Some years back I was not allowed (initially) to check-in for my flight from USA to BsAs since I had no return ticket.

Pretty simple solution though. Buy a fully refundable return e-ticket on the spot (probably easier calling reservations from your cell, which is what I did) and 5 minutes later your problem is fixed. Get on the flight and cancel return for full refund the next day.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnDown
    Can I please get some feedback from the frequent visitors regarding the no visa entry into Argentina. I know that as a US citizen you can enter Argentina without a visa provided your stay does not exceed 90 days. Anything beyond 90 days should require a request for an extension of stay at the immigration office or an exit to another country to break the 90 days. Is this true?

Can I enter Argentina even if my plane ticket shows a return date beyond the 90 day limit. Are the immigration officers strict on this point.

Thank you in advance for any advise you can give me.
    Greetings ComeOnDown,

Apparently you are confused about the nomenclature here.

Every foreigner visiting Argentina must have a visa.

Visitors from some countries designated by Argentina must get a "visa in advance" at the Argentine embassy in their own country before they can travel to Argentina.

Visitors from other countries such as the USA will (almost always) receive a "visa on arrival", the visa being evidenced by the stamp in their passport.

The only people who have a "no visa entry" are Argentina citizens and residents as one does not need a visa to return to one's own country.

Anyway, nothing about your question has anything to do with the subject of this thread, which is "Resident visas", so I will be moving all of this discussion to the existing thead titled "Tourist Visa Information" at http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=1919

FYI, there is also another thread titled "Penalty for overstaying 90 day visa" at http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=4032 which also addresses your question.

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations