Thread: Renting Property

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Need an Apartment

Hello all,

I just arrived in BA and am now looking for an apartment for 3-6 months. There are web sites with some nice listings, but I am trying to save a good chunk of $ by renting from an owner directly.

I discovered that the renter pays the agent a commision equal to at least half a month's rent and sometimes more. In my case, that translates to $250-300. In the case of web sites like BYTArgentina.com, it doesn't appear that they charge an outright commision, rather they roll it into the rent, which is higher than equivalent units I've seen listed elsewhere.

I am willing to pay a reasonable commision (about $50 to $100) to an agent willing to help me for a day or two, but I will not pay $300+.

If anyone has been in contact with the owner of an apartment anywhere in Palermo, Recoleta, Bario Norte, or San Telmo, I would greatly appreciate their contact info.

Yos

Alquilando apartamentos Buenos Aires

If there's anywhere YMMV it has to be with the hunt for an apartment. The downside of Byt if you're looking for something beyond 180 days is the max stay limitation they put on most aparments. That and the long delay I experienced getting a response even after talking to Julia on the phone in English.

As I look out from the 13th floor across Buenos Aires, basically a landscape of apartment buildings short and tall one cannot help but think that there's an apartment out there with the qualities I want at a price in line with what Argentinos are accustomed to pay. When I tell Argentinos what I pay for my apartment they blanche and get eyes the size of saucers. It's about 50% over whatever they have in their minds. I cannot rationalize it enough to make it make sense for them.

I have no quarrel with Saint and his services. He has certainly helped me by collapsing the process of finding an apartment and like always there's a price to pay for service. As long as you recognize that fact, which he makes no bones about, going in you won't be wrenching at the cost of an apartment in the 1K or above range when you're looking at apartments in the papers for $400 to $900 US. I do think he gets a little off the mark on the subject of cutting through problems with landlords or owners and getting things fixed as I've found even in the apartments I've rented via Saint that getting things fixed and getting things negotiated out is fraught with considerations. Saint has been there to mediate but the fact is you're dealing with Argentinos and just like el sexo, it's intense and personal. Kissing is optional. Things move at a different pace. After 2 months the bidet is finally fixed and not flooding the bathroom floor each time a chica uses it, por ejemplo.

I'll miss Saint on the board as he's been generous with information and I've often wondered if I'd of had the brass to move here without posts like his and others. On the other hand perhaps others without the self interest that always skews Saint's posts will emerge, Jackpot step forward, and cut the Gordian knot of renting aparments long term in Buenos Aires. It's a huge market and as always the prospect of finding a great apartment at a great price is swimming out there like a Hemingway fishing expedition.

Time, patience, Spanish, determination and a lawyer.
    Last edited by Bacchus9; 02-26-05 at 13:38. Reason: the <br> symbols are showing

I think there are a lot of different type of guys who come to BA. Some guys will stay in a 30 peso a night place, while some can afford the 800 peso a night. Most come because of the great variety of chicas, and the reasonable prices.

I stayed in a hotel the first time, and rented an apartment for the second. If I come for a week or more, I would certainly always stay in an apartment.

I've had good luck with ByT, and will rent with them when I come later this year. They have decent pictures, and I've always gotten a response within 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfe
    2 very clever guys who know there areas of expertise and mark it like a lion soils his hunting ground. They will be missed.

Starfe

Sao Paulo is wonderful this time of year. Ass to ass or should I say wall to wall.
    Didn't Andres leave too?

First Dickhead and now the ......

2 very clever guys who know there areas of expertise and mark it like a lion soils his hunting ground. They will be missed.

Starfe

Sao Paulo is wonderful this time of year. Ass to ass or should I say wall to wall.

Saint

Sorry to hear your not going to be posting anymore, I've learned a ton from you. I have read with interest about the development of your business and have to say I admire your courage. You saw an opportunity and bet a lot in taking advantage of it. I'll miss reading about it.

Call it like I see them...

Jackpot,

Hey, as always I call them like I see them. Jackson is free to remove the section from "Saint" on WSG. I already told him and others that WSG has never been and will never be a serious source of business for me. I think I've had a total of 4 WSG guys book apartments with me in 6 months since moving here.

I already have told Jackson that I probably won't be posting any posts anymore as I've gotten too busy. No need to tout on WSG and I won't be posting any more apartment posts here. Really, the biggest source of business for me is referrals from others that have already stayed in my properties, repeat guests that stay in my properties each/every time they come to BA, Google and vacation websites.

By the way, it's alquilar and not aquilar as you previously posted. Good luck to you.

Saint

WSG Cheap shots

Saint, if we WSG guys are so cheap, why do you tout your pricey apartments
    on the wsg and argentina sites? Maybe you should stick to the BA herald
    and leave us ¨cheap¨ wsg members to our own devices.

By the way anty up is correctly spelled as ante up.

Jackpot

Jackpot,

You posted some good information. I did laugh when you said that my company offers properties that are overpriced. The reason why WSG has never been and will never be a source of rentals for me is because the vast majority of WSG guys are guys that are cheap and simply won't anty up to stay in a nicer place. The way the rental market works is based on pure supply and demand. Why would I offer an apartment rental at less than a certain price when the apartment stays busy 27 days a month and books 4 months ahead of time? I have been renting out apartments here for almost 3 years. I really understand this business.

My company offers quality apartments. Granted some apartments that I don't own or manage the quality is not as good as my managed properties. We only act as a listing service for several owners. (Although within a year or so I plan on ditching all the properties I don't own or manage. I'm getting enough clients now where that gameplan is feasible after a year or so.) The ones I own or manage are great properties. Properties like A1 on my site are true 5 star properties with high-speed internet access, luxury furniture and lighting, local cell phone and a USA phone line where you can make/receive unlimited calls to the USA. It is much much better than a hotel room that is priced a lot higher.

Also, keep in mind that I know my competition and I don't really think I have too much serious competition. The local companies are horrible at answering emails or addressing problems when you have them. I've used several companies in town including some that Jackpot mentioned. Try getting your AC fixed when it breaks or having problems. I've rented several apartments (including the one I am in now) and I've had tons of problems where the company did nothing for me. I had to endure a month of no AC, refrigerator breaking for a few weeks, not getting my security deposit back, etc.

Also, Bacchus mentioned other sources. Yes, you can find more affordable alternatives but the honest truth is that most of them are what I call "crap rentals". You can spin your wheels and spend a lot of time going from apartment to apartment trying to find something. Also, I have tried this and try dealing with some of the locals that are plain theives. I negotiated a contract with a local owner only to have her keep changing it on me up until the date of the signing of the contract. I finally walked away. Some of you guys make it sound like it's so easy dealing with locals. It's not. I deal with local owners on a daily basis. Most are not reasonable people to deal with.

What my company does is makes the process easier of finding a good rental. No hassles, we are quick to communicate and email, all my employees speak English, and no problems with paying by bankwire or paypal.com. There is a cost for convenience and quality and most people realize that. It's the plain and simple reason why my company is growing as fast as it is.

Jackpot, thanks for mentioning that we are reputable and offer good properties. What I'm doing is not rocket science. I basically publically posted my business plan for the past several years. My goal was becoming the largest property management company of foreign owned property in Argentina within 3 years of moving here. We are on pace to do that. I am proud to say that I am working on several larger projects that involve buying land and building apartment buildings with 30 or 40 units. I'm sure it will take time but I do see it happening in the future.

I posted a long time ago that tourism would explode and it has. I see that trend continuing for the foreseeable future. I also posted on property prices and I have been dead on target. I see prices continuing to escalate. As I said before, many foreigners are going to make a fortune on real estate here.

Good luck all.

Apartment Rentals Buenos Aires

Just to add a couple of thoughts to Jackpot's excellent advice.

One, start your search early. I gave myself one month to find an apartment here, having all ready settled into a temporary one with all the conveniences of phone and DSL to aid the search. It can take forever to get a response even from byt. It can take time to contact the owners, and get keys to view the apartment, most agents don't answer the phone on weekends, time just to go look and time to negociate the deal. My advice, give yourself two months.

I found the classified listings at Il Nacion, one of the major newspapers here, to be the best "live" source of apartments: http://clasificados.lanacion.com.ar/...sRespuesta.asp

You can sort by barrio and they identify new posts every day with "hoy". You'll spend some time figuring out the contracted words in Spanish and what they mean. You'll need to speak Spanish for most conversations or get someone who does to follow up your choices but it's by far, IMHO, the best resource.

If you give up on that route you're in the hands of agents who'll help you in English. I can't speak to all but they are going to hammer on a high fee for "finding it" for you.

Renting a small house (with a pool)

I visited the Mansion when I was in BA in January. When I saw the pool all I could think of was how wonderful it would be to have a pool like that with a few naked chicas in it. Chica soup! So ... is it possible to rent a much smaller version of the Mansion, with its own private pool? Where would such places be listed?

Thanks, Bob

Apartment Rentals

For those of you looking to escape the hotel rates and privacy issues, I recommend you do a Google seach with these words:"inmobiliaria aquilar buenos aires". This translates to real estate rentals.

I recommend www. bytargentina.com for the best information site and a way to compare square meter prices, neighborhoods, apartment ammenities (you WANT a digital button phone), dates of availability. Buy a good map of B.A. so you can find neighborhoods and streets. Use it with the bytargentina maps t locate yourself close to the action. (Recoleta, Barrio Norte, Palermo Micro center, San Martin, and Belgrano)

For you DSL users, Your landlord can arrange to install a high speed connection thru Fibertel or Telefonica. This may take several days and I don't know the fees. Most apts have cable TV so that installation issue is solved.

IMO the best is www.bytargentina.com and has real reasonable rates and charges a minimal commision.

The Buenos Aires Herald newspaper has several providers, most of which are way overpriced for their units and commisions. www.apartmentsba.com and reynoldspropiedades.com are pricey and have, IMO, inflated rates for the general rental market by getting owners to list with them and jacking the prices up to cover their high commisions. These firms offer good properties and are reputable, but you can expect to pay a healthy premium for their service.

www.easyrent.com.ar and gozalezpaglierie.com charge stiff commisions.

My personal experience with goz..paglier.. has been poor in that the price was raised from their posted internet sites, The apt was not cleaned and the plumbing and TV needed repairs which is done on YOUR time but no expense. ALWAYS ask what is the commision on top of the unit rental!

So, renter beware of hype and false promises. The renter above you can be your worst enemy when they clomp around in hard heeled shoes or drop crap on the floor or have a dog that is the hound of the Baskervilles or party on until you want to call the Hell's Angles for backup.

Before you sign a lease, Try to rent the place for Fri, Sat ,Sun and pay a premium for this time. Once you sign the lease and give deposit money your ass is theirs. Meet your neighbors FIRST!! DO TEST all plumbing, air-con, heat ,electric devices and lighting, linen supplies,kitchen utensils, windows and doors. They love to slam doors - must be a macho thing. My cheap landlady wouldn't reimburse me for 3 two peso light bulbs! Try to get a unit that is ¨contrafrente¨which means in the rear of the building, away from the fckn buses, traffic, and stink.

Your apt can make or break you stay in this BEAUTIFUL city. Be careful and do diligence in selecting your crib. Better you should spend two weeks in a hotel (chica friendly) and spend your time investigating apartments than to pay an outrageous sum for an abode that you will hate. And, dont be afraid to say you want a micro-wave, cleaning supplies, better tv, whatever. They want your money so get everything up-front, in writing with delivery dates. Better yet, compose a list of your wants, have them sign it, and state you will purchase the items and deduct from the monthly rent.

One last but real important issue is monthly operating expense. bytargentina spells this out in their disclosure section of services and costs. Usually, there are no add-ons. My experience is you may have to pay for Cable TV $40usd/mo), water-gas-electric ($20usd/mo), Phone ($5 & up). Building expenses can be $80usd and up, BUT these should be borne by the landlord including pest (aka COCKROACHES) control.

I hope I have not scarred everyone to go to a hotel. Not my intention! With over 5 months here I've heard a lot of stories about rip offs, high prices and bad service, bad deposit refunds by greedy landlords and agents, promises made but not kept, on and on.

RENTER BEWARE!

Best of Luck scoring the pad of your dreams.

Jackpot

PS. Thanks Jefe Jackson for this new forum to help us pilgrims here find our way in this Magic Country!

Administrator

Venues: 398

Renting Property

Thread Starter.

Posting Limitations