Thread: 2004 Restaurant Reports

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    I wish it could have been her.

I had one too many whiskeys, picked up the wrong girl and the sex was not too good. Just woke up with a hangover.

Gran Bar Danzon

Well, after all the hype I went to Gran Bar Danzon last night with one of my friends. I gotta say that I was impressed with the place. It´s small and that is why its so packed. My friend is a regular here and has a lot of pull here. We arrived at about 11 PM and it was packed with many people waiting. He went up to the hostess and told her that he was here and she got us a table within 10 minutes. I was impressed.

I have been to Sucre which the owner also owns and this place is smaller but the food is wonderful. I had both white wine and red wine and they were both fantastic. We had oysters, sushi and spring rolls for appetizers and they all were very good and fresh. I had the duck for the main dish and it was very good. The portion was small but with all the appetizers it was enough. [My friend ordered 24 oysters!]

JackDaniels called my cellphone and so I invited him to join us after we ate. He said he wasn´t feeling well but he sure perked up fast. Talk about getting a second wind. My friend had an amiga with him and she liked JackDaniels. I asked her in the taxi on the way to Madahos if she was going to have sex tonight and she looked at JackDaniels and said, maybe with your friend. Ha, ha. You gotta love living here. She was a non-pro.

Anyway, we had a fun night. I highly recommend this place. I will check it out more during happy hour after work. It´s not far from my office. It´s not a cheap place when you have good wine, appetizers and the main course but the atmosphere is great and there are lots of hotties there. Has anyone been to the 3rd restaurant-Bar Uriarte that the same owner has?

Danzon

Thanks for the link, AmanteLondres.

I tried to get into this place again twice this week but it was packed with people. Looks like it is better at weekends.

Danzon

Hi Jack Daniels
    You'll note from a previous post that I'm a great fan of this place on Libertad. It's owned by the same people as Sucre which is also a great restaurant. The sushi at Danzon is fab and on my recent trip to BA from London I was sitting next to a super looking girl who told me that Happy Hour has now been replaced by After Office as the latest fad in BA and that Wednesday is the busy day and not so much Thursday or Friday. Give it a year or two and it'll be Monday!! Let me know about your plans for a London branch....great minds think alike!!

www.granbardanzon.com.ar

Cabana Las Lilas

Cabana Las Lilas
    Alicia Moreau de Justo, 516
    Tel-4313 1336
    www.laslilas.com.ar

I can not speak highly enough of the quality of the food at this restaurant.
    Without doubt, the BEST steak I have ever eaten, and those few people who know me I love my food (Fat so & so).
    The cost was the most expensive meal I have had in BsAs, 300 pesos for two people,with beer's and a 80 pesos bottle of wine. Where I'm from its a very cheap meal, I highly recommend this restaurant & would be shocked if any one did not enjoy themselves, great food !!!!!!!!!!!

mexican in Bs As?

I just got back from my 4th trip this year. I am not mongering anymore but this site is still good for things. So, thanks guys. I have been to one mexican place in buenos aires and it was horrible. When down there for a few weeks I actually miss mexican food, which I have 2-3 times a week in the U.S.. I love argentine food and that is great but we all have our standard pleasures. Does anyone know of or have a favorite authentic mexican or even salvadoran place in buenos aires?

Oh, and for those that helped me in the discussion of buying land/property -- thank you. I am in the process of buying a beachouse in Villa Gesell and I bought 4 hectares near Lujan. A buenos aires apartment or two is next, para inversion.

Thanks.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniels
    I am just copying over my post from the BsAs board.....

On the subject of food and drink - there is a really smart bar called Gran Bar Danzon on Libertad just moments off Santa Fe. It is not on street level but on the first floor (American second floor) up a staircase. It is not easy to see the entrance from the street.

This is a really smart bar full of beautiful people (no providers here). Excellent wine, great sushi and the best spring rolls I have had anywhere.

A couple of glasses of wine, sushi and spring rolls should not be more than about 60 pesos.

Anyone else been there ?

Cheers.
    Well the spring rolls and the wines are as good as they were on my first trip. 2 servings of spring rolls and 3 glasses of wine for 62 pesos. Not bad considering the kind of place this is and the unique ambience of the place. One day, I will open a bar like this in London and charge GBP 62 for the same .

Quote Originally Posted by Saint
    Yeah La Biela IS expensive but it's really a great place. [...] I was just there today having lunch and the area can't be beat.

Love La Biela.
    At the end of my trip I sat at the counter and ordered a set of cups to bring to the USA. The waiters gathered round me and bid me goodbye. One asked, "So, where in the world have you met the hottest girls."

I smiled and said, "It's the man that makes the woman hot. A woman can be hot with me and cold with you."

The waiter pumped his arm and said, "Cold with me?! Never!!!"

Good times.

Juana M

Yep, two bad experiences out of three there. Second trip the mollejas weren't very good and the bill wasn't right. Third time the service was terrible and the bill wasn't right AGAIN by quite a wide margin and when I asked to speak to the manager and told her this was the second time they had tried to overcharged us she was very defensive. AND then the re-adjusted bill was STILL wrong AND they never came back to check so I figured the correct bill based on the menu prices and we left that amount of money exactly and split.

So fuck that place.

Avoid Luana M !!!

This must have been the "Worst" dinner I have ever had in BA.

The Service was Atrocious and my Lomo was well overdone (first time ever in BA)!

1. I knew we were in trouble the moment we walked in and the staff spent most of their time chatting and getting their s**t together instead of serving.

2. It took almost 15 minutes to get our drink (wine) order.

3. Our dinners were on the table waiting when we got back from the salad bar with our salads

4. There were 6 entrees (instead of four) on our check for the four of us and two other entrees were incorrect (description and price).

5. Thanx to DH for getting La Cuenta straight and no thanx to the staff who acted insulted and was rude about it. Result: 0 peso tip and buyer beware!

I'll let the others put their two sense in,
    This Mouse reporting

Yeah La Biela IS expensive but it's really a great place. I've met some great people over the years there and had some really great business meetings there in the outdoor cafe. I really love the place and the area. I live just a few blocks from the cafe and make it there every chance I get. I was just there today having lunch and the area can't be beat.

Las Esclavas

When you get tired of being ripped off at La Biela, try this place on Juncal near Montevideo. No, it does not have an outdoor patio where you can watch the chetos go by, but it does smell great from half a block away. Coffee and pastries and light fare. Try the facturas with ananá (pineapple). The place is dirt cheap. My prostitute had café con leche and I a café doble. She had two medialunas. I ordered two facturas but they were huge and I could only eat one. Fortunately she was able to choke down the other one after commenting that she was over 45 kg again (99 lbs). The bill was 4.60 pesos. They have all kinds of cakes and meringues and fruit tarts and and and. You can get fresh bread there 24 hours a day. Yum.

Concha y Toro

Recently I recommended this wine, having tried the Malbec on a number of occasions. I just tried the '04 Cabernet Sauvignon and it was terrible. So avoid that one.

LAS VIOLETAS 3899 Rivadavia

If you´re into the grandure of the turn on the century, try this place. It was abandoned for years and three years ago a Spanish Company bot and restored it. A true work of art. They claim it was built in 1884. It may be true that Las Violetas has been there, but the architecture of the upper floors is definitely of the 1930 era. Notwithstanding, the interior design is a masterpiece of stained glass, bevoled mirrors, and inlaid woods.

The menu and prices are comparative to most confiterias of the city. However, the quality and presentation are on a par with what one would find at the Sofitel or Alvear hotels. Lunchoen for two (a la cart) with wine 40 pesos.

Mansion dinners

Jackson,

Thanks for clarifying your policy on Mansion dinners (see edited post in blue below). It might be helpful to make that an "official post" in The WSG Mansion section where everyone else will see it.

You might also want to give us a "heads up" on future dinner announcements as to whether the specific event is to be safe for "civilians", or strictly for battle hardened vets.

You have to admit, some of the reports that come out of the dinner parties are pretty salacious. Which is fine, that's what we all look forward to hearing about. The thought that the Sanctum Sanctorum of the WSG would be anything else would probably never occur to us.

Guillermo

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations