Thread: 2003 Restaurant Reports

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    I had a wonderful dining experience this past Saturday evening at place called Morena. It is on the water near the downtown airport. I went with my novia and another good friend, which I am sure added to the pleasure of the evening.
    This place sits on the water and is dark and very romantic. You can see the lights of the city twinkle on the water from your table.
    The service is wonderful and I had scallops in a wine sauce, both of the ladies enjoyed their dishes as well.
    This is not a place to meet someone, but I cannot imagine a lady not enjoying being wined and dined at this establishment.
    I suspect that you might want to make reservations on Saturday night, but the rest of the week it shouldn't be necessary. They have a small bar and a combo that plays on the weekend.
    A great way to spend the first part of an evening and set the tone for the fun to come later.

Enjoy!!

p.s. I great way to make brownie points with the B & C without having to explain......or having your attentions diverted by other "eye catching" diversions......lol

I also give high marks to Broccolino, the garlic and butter squid being excellent! Thanks Andres for reminding me where it was some time ago. There is one guy in there that always seems to remember me and will not let me get a word of Spanish in as he dazzles me with his English. Nice people. As the place is pretty close to Hooks, etc., it is a good place to go prior to clubbing in that end of town.
    Another area one might want to venture to for eats is Las Canitas, in Palermo. It will cost you 8 pesos or so for a taxi from centro but then you have about 3 blocks worth of eateries from which to chose. It can get very crowded here also. Some places have dancing/shows also, some with a minimum charge meal + show. A nice diversion from Recoletta and Centro.
    A classy place in Puerto Madero is Happening. For impressing the chica, it's great, as is the food and service. A little pre-warning to the chica is in order so that she can dress nice. The last time I went there, mi novia said there were a few celebs around, not that I could tell the difference.
    Provecho
    MAG

Broccolino: Esmeralda St between Cordoba Av and Viamonte St

Andres

I can recommend Broccolino, also on Córdoba and I believe the cross street is Maipu (or thereabouts; it's on the same side of the street as Mi Casa or My House and the opposite side from Excedra). Huge portions, excellent food, friendly service.

Also I like Tasca Tancat tapas bar on Paraguay half a block from Florida towards 9 de Julio. Some stuff is cheap and some is rather expensive but there is a nice variety.

The place is called Asia de Cuba.

When staying friday nights in the Hilton, best idea is to go there, as you will hear the music anyway if you have a room towards the city...

El Aleman

Thanks for the info. Sounds great

Went to a resturant/club last night for dinner with some new American friends and a couple of friends from this forum. We went to Asia, which is located next door the Hilton in Puerto Madero.
    The entree's vary from beef to sushsi and everything in between. All have a name that is sensualy suggestive and while the food was good the service was quite slow.
    After dinner they clear the tables and open the dance floor for continous house and techno music. It really got crowded about 1:00am
    This is a legit night club, although about a month ago a freind pulled two young ladies out of the club and they rocked his world until lunch the next day...all it cost him was an empty mini-bar...lol

One really fun thing about this place is they have a spectacular belly dancer and two ladies that do any aerial show from the ceiling while suspended over the dance floor.

Yes, La Cabaña is open. It is located in Av. Rodríguez Peña, between Posadas and Alvear, on the left side when coming from Posadas. It is just excelent, I was there a few days ago on a business occasion.

When going there, beware: it is a very classy place, and your and your company's attire should reflect that fact. Maybe the best meat in Argentina, which means, the world.

El Aleman

When I was a little toddler, the best meat restaurant and the most famous in BA was La Cabana. This closed many years ago but , having been acquired by the Orient Express company it is opening (or by now should have) in September in the recoleta area. Although I won't be able to try it till November, take your chica there and she'll tell her mum where she ate and will be very impressed!! Let me know how it is. Thanks guys

Had dinner with Roxana and my novia at a place in Puerto Madero recently.
    The resturant is named La Caballeriza on De Justo 580. The food was wonderful and they have a great wine list. They actually grill you meats in plain view and it is interesting to watch. A nice view as well.
    I would highly recommend this place if you want a little change of pace in a different part of town....

If you like Greek Food, try Mykonos on Boulevard Olleros 1752 in Belgrano. Great food, wine and entertainment complete with music, dancing and even some plate smashing. Had a wonderful time with a couple special friends!

Another, Piegari, an Italian Restaurant which I believe has been reviewed before.
    Neither is cheap (@ 100p for 2 including bottles of wine and all courses) by Argentine standards, but the food and experience was well worth it.

I really enjoyed the Bife de Lomo at Tenorio's on "the row" in Recoletta. It is few doors down from Newport and had some cute waitresses and good atmosphere. They also have a combo act that plays and sings.

I am going to try the place in the design center if I can find the appropriate "date" LOL

For those staying at the Dazzler, I just found a nice 'Tenador Libre' (self service buffet) around the corner on M. de Alvear. Turn left from Dazzler on Libertad, left on M. de Alvear, middle of block on left. M. de Alvear 1256.

The name is 'Deleite'. Lunch buffet is 12-15:30, dinner is 20:00-00:30. The other hours it is a normal cafe.

Lunch is $8M-F, $10S, $12Sun. Dinner is $10M-T, $12FS, $10Sun

The salads and hot dishes have an oriental slant. There is a good parilla. For an all you can eat buffet, the quality is excellent, with some shrimp and fish dishes.

For a salad lover like me, it is great for a late brunch. It also had the first broccoli I have spotted in Buenos Aires.

There is a new restaurant in the Buenos Aires Design Center. It opened around the first of June.
    The Name is Prima Fila and it is a couple of doors away from the Hard Rock Cafe.

I ate there a couple of times and liked the food. I had a pasta dish once and the other time several things wrapped in a crepe.
    It is somewhat trendy, but the prices aren't that high. I paid around AR$50 for salad, entree, dessert, wine and coffee.

On Recoletas restaurant row, I liked the bife de lomo at Pepe Pomo.

It is located 5 or 6 doors away from the Newport bar.

Greetings Airplane,

As a neighborhood resident, I can attest to the fact that Pepe Lomo's has the best beef on restaurant row. Pepe Lomo's is easy to find: it's the restaurtnat with the full size plastic cow standing in the sidewalk.

Jackson

Maddur,

I don't know what to tell you except that the place seems to have a good reputation by the clientele attending and the definite need for reservations. On a personal note, we all agreed on how good the food was. Like you said, maybe it was an off-night. As with chicas, I guess YMMV with food too.

I have been to Katmandu's and enjoyed our food immensely. I highly recommend the curry.

FB

Posting Limitations