Thread: Cabaña Las Lilas

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This blog is moderated by Young & Restless

Quote Originally Posted by Vsg888
    Can some of you recommend places that have the same quality but at lower cost?
    Check out Estilo Campo, also in Puerto Madero. Last time I was down the prices there were a good bit lower than Cabana, and I think the quality was better.

Some of the posters here like a place called Aquillos Anos, out in Costanera Norte.

I love the quality of Las Lilas' beef.

I love the quality of Las Lilas' beef. That's why I go.

But I switch in a heartbeat if there are options.

Can some of you recommend places that have the same quality but at lower cost?

Thanks

prices

Today I had lunch in "Happening", also Puerto Madero, one block west of Las Lilas. Same ambience, same quality, same service, but prices 40% less (around A$R 30. 35 for a typical main course) And one in the party was the same Argentine business friend that invited on Sunday.

We agreed that the price calculation of the better BA restaurants is not rational. Las Lilas has a reputation, and tries to milk that cow as long as possible.

Hunt, I agree 100% with your comment.

2 centavos from an overfed Alemán.

The next days I will concentrate a bit more on calory burning activities. Just coming back from Newport with some phone numbers in my pocket. Report to follow.

AR$55 is still much cheaper than the high end steakhouses in the US. I paid US$48 for the NY strip at Prime in the Belagio (Las Vegas) the other night and about the same at Cut in LA a few months back (where the Kobe was $30/ ounce with a 5 oz minimum) Both Prime and Cut were excellent but you are talking about $150/ person even with a "cheap" bottle of wine (I don't recall any bottle under $75 in Prime)

AR$55 is more like the cost at a Black Angus or similar steakhouse chain these days.

I can think of a few other places in BA where the lomo is around $AR45-55 so $AR55 isn't completely insane. But I'm usually quite happy with the places that are less than 1/2 that price.

You know, I ate here a couple of times over my last two trips a couple of months ago, but didn't update my comments on this thread.

I think this place is no longer the best steakhouse in BsAs. I do think it has gotten overpriced for the competition, and the quality was just good, not great.

This is representative of the wonderful state of Porteno restaurants, more than for any shortcomings of this particular restaurant. It's still good, but I am willing to be impressed by other places even more.

overpriced

I had lunch there today (after not being in Cabaña Las Lilas for a couple of years) and my impression is:

Quality - excellent, no doubt about it. Tender, tasty, everything you want from a perfect steak. Plus a nice ambience and good service. And, as mentioned, a very impressive wine list.

Prices: before the crash of 2001, they had the same prices as in a comparable place New York or SF. In 2002, they were cheap (exactly by a factor of 3) Today, they are back on the US level - and that is ridiculously expensive for Argentinean standards. Most cuts around A$R 55,-.

Amazing, however, that most guests were Argentineans, not foreigners. Still a lot of money around.

A general observation comparing Argentinean with US beef, coming from somebody who lives in neither country and is rather unbiased: US usually is more tender, Argentinean often tastier. I think the reason is that cattle in Argentina is all open range, has to use those muscles, whereas US beef gets raised without moving too much, and a heartier diet. I don't say one is better that the other, just different.

El Alemán

I ate lunch here twice recently. Fabulous. Exceptional wine list in addition to wonderful steaks and accompanyments. Not inexpensive - but if I compare it to a recent meal I had at a high-end US steakhouse, the quality, ambience, service, and food were comparable.

If you live in BsAs, you won't eat here every day. But as a tourist, I could probably pull off that feat without being too unhappy.

In the US, the tab was US$250. Here, 200 pesos. (For two.)

(Note to diners - Argentine steaks tend to be tougher than US meat because they are not fed grain diets. The same cut of meat will always be tougher in Argentina. However, the tradeoff is that it will be much more flavorful. If tenderness is a priority, stick with the ribeye (Ojo de Bife) or the tenderloin. Sirloins and flank steaks will not be to your liking.)

I’m a little confused here. When did I say that it was expensive? All I did was state how much everything cost (it was dinner for one, btw). The main reason I did that was so people would have an idea about how much to expect to spend. Yeah, I thought the wine was overpriced and I still think that it was overpriced. Not that big of a deal. Cabaña Las Lilas is not a bad steakhouse. I just didn’t think it was as great as I was expecting it to be. Like I said, my steak tasted bland. Maybe the Bife de Chorrizo was the wrong thing to order? I don’t know. Anyway, it’s all about what you enjoy. If this is a place that you like, than come eat here. To treat yourself here on occasions will not force anyone to postpone their retirement and there is not anything wrong with splurging sometimes.

Bon appetite!

Y & R

comments

I've never been to Las Lilas but have been to La Estancia on Lavalle a lot and love it. Has anybody been to both? Which would you recomend?

I was also disappointed

Y&R, you're not alone. I've read reviews on other sites by those disappointed in this place. I visited last year and I too was disappointed. My bife de lomo was also a bit overcooked and tough. That steak would not have held up to a chain Outback joint. The piece of meat I had was not the best. The fact they have their own ranch gives them even less excuse. I haven't gone back. You'll also see glowing reviews which leads me to believe this place is inconsistent. It is the most overhyped tourist steakhouse in the city, there having been a very positive New York Times review some time back and then the inevitable listing in all the tourist books. Better can certainly be had in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
    Since he mentioned the wine, appetizers and steak, I'd guess it was for one person. Entrees here are 30-45 each, wine 31, 13 for appetizer, plus other stuff.

This is a good place. I ate there a couple of years back, a bunch of WSG guys came there. I prefer the ribeye there.
    Probably so, Jaimito. It's the best steakhouse in town, bar none. Its beef comes from its own private farm, they get the first share of the best ingredients from all the markets, etc.... Spending US$50 for a meal here is a great deal. Would I eat there every night? Of course not. But I won't go slagging it off as being too expensive, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt99
    For how many was that 113? For two people that is a good deal compared to shit places like, say, Outback Steakhouse. For one, it is not so expensive. This is an excellent steakhouse, if you want the cheapest of the cheap, there are a lot of candidates in BsAs.
    Since he mentioned the wine, appetizers and steak, I'd guess it was for one person. Entrees here are 30-45 each, wine 31, 13 for appetizer, plus other stuff.

This is a good place. I ate there a couple of years back, a bunch of WSG guys came there. I prefer the ribeye there.

Quote Originally Posted by Young & Restless
    Total price for everything mentioned above, plus a bottle of water was AP $115,80. Notice that for ½ a bottle of San Telmo Malbec, they charged AP $31. That is painfully overpriced since that same bottle sells for about AP $5 retail.

Again I had a good meal here, but I wouldn’t say that this place is a must try, even if it is your first time in BsAs.
    For how many was that 113? For two people that is a good deal compared to shit places like, say, Outback Steakhouse. For one, it is not so expensive. This is an excellent steakhouse, if you want the cheapest of the cheap, there are a lot of candidates in BsAs.

Cabaña Las Lilas

Cabaña Las Lilas
    Av. Alicia Moreau de Justo 516 (Puerto Madero)
    Puerto Madero C1107AAL
    Tel.: (54-11) 4313-1336
    http://www.laslilas.com/estructura.htm

I’ve read so many reviews on this restaurant and was expecting something spectacular. I ordered the bife de chorizo, fried provoleta and a chiquitito of San Telmo Malbec.

The appetizer plate (couverts?) that they bring to your table was very good, but they charge you AP $13 for it. Also, watch out for the pan de queso (cheese bread), it is the best that I’ve ever eaten and if you don’t pace yourself with this stuff, you’ll find yourself full before your food gets to the table.

The bife de chorizo had not let me down while I was in BsAs, but I didn’t really notice any thing too special about it here. While it was a really big steak, I thought it was somewhat bland. The fried provoleta could have been better too, as it was a little dry and overcooked.

I liked Cabaña Las Lilas, but after going to a few other parrillas (steakhouses) before I came here, this place just seemed to be the Outback of Argentina.

Total price for everything mentioned above, plus a bottle of water was AP $115,80. Notice that for ½ a bottle of San Telmo Malbec, they charged AP $31. That is painfully overpriced since that same bottle sells for about AP $5 retail.

Again I had a good meal here, but I wouldn’t say that this place is a must try, even if it is your first time in BsAs.

Posting Limitations