Thread: Package Delivery Services

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Weight

It depends on the weight.

It has to be under 13 pounds or something like that.

I sent a package just a little over that three weeks ago, but wrote down on the custom form, what it was, pants and shirts. It got there in a week. I also have sent two DVDs and it got there one week later.

A year before I sent a Snow Globe of San Francisco to my Teacher and it got held up in Customs. They wanted 70p for her to pick it up, saying that she was late picking it up. Funny I got it back a year later, at no extra charge.
    I bought her one with me on my next trip.

Does anyone need one to send to their favorite Chica?

Quote Originally Posted by Master J
    I have been sending packages / gift to my to dear one and family for the past 6 years using the post office with no problems at all. I am express mail.

This past week they asked that in addition to the regular small customs form that I fill out an additional customs detailed sheet that requested more information.

The result was that they called and said the name did not match what was written and she had to go to the capital to pick it up.

I thought it might be a scam to collect duty but I had listed only gifts. No commercial value so it was just another inconvenience placed on the public.

This was a new request by the post office who would not accept the package without it and said packages were being returned if not included.

Wtf

Usps

I have been sending packages / gift to my to dear one and family for the past 6 years using the post office with no problems at all. I am express mail.

This past week they asked that in addition to the regular small customs form that I fill out an additional customs detailed sheet that requested more information.

The result was that they called and said the name did not match what was written and she had to go to the capital to pick it up.

I thought it might be a scam to collect duty but I had listed only gifts. No commercial value so it was just another inconvenience placed on the public.

This was a new request by the post office who would not accept the package without it and said packages were being returned if not included.

Wtf

If the card is coming directly from your bank (like a renewal or new card) and they have a branch here have them send it to the branch c / o the manager. I did this several years ago with an HSBC card from USA to a branch in Recoleta.

Otherwise I would say FedEx. DHL sucks. Just wrap it in papers and send it off in the envelope.

Sending Credit Cards to Argy from UK

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience of sending credit cards from the UK ro Argentina?

I have been told not to use the Royal Mail / Argentinian postal service as there is a good chance the cards will never arrive.

I have been told by DHL that they will not carry credit cards. I am not sure if Fedex will but anyway they are really expensive at £72!

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Sorry. I didn't think I changed the subject, but I'll bear that in mind in the future.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Da Man
    Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think that solves it -- either buy locally or bring in luggage. My intent was to make a gift of something that really has little value here, so I guess I'll try the luggage route.

I've only been to BA three times and, generally, I dress like a business traveler when I'm going through Customs. On those three occasions at EZE, they have waived me through with all my luggage without even bothering to scan it or ask me any questions. Is that common, or is it completely random?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was also going to send down an iPhone. They're remarkably easy to hack these days -- even my most computer illiterate employee can manage it. I suspect that this is the sort of thing that would get flagged by Customs as well, even if sent via Fed Ex or DHL, correct?
    Hi Stan,

Do you see what you did here? With your last question you changed the subject of this thread from its title "Package Delivery Services" to "Airport Customs Inspections".

In the future, please consider the subject of your post and the subject of the thread where you are considering post it. If it's not applicable, please use the Forum's search function to identify a more appropriate thread, or if not found, then start a new thread for a new subject.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    On my last trip in to EZE, I arrived about 11:30pm and they put my luggage through the screener with nobody looking to see what the baggage might hold.
    Sad but true. Slightly scarier: On the way back to the states this past Saturday, passing through the EZE metal detectors on the way into the terminal, the exact same thing happened. I believe EZE has privately contracted much of the airport security to Securitas, the behemoth Dutch "low cost" security provider. They are the bottom of the barrel. On the way into the terminal, that is exactly what they were doing: You place all your carry-on luggage on the conveyor; there are three "guards" there; but none of them are looking at the screen to determine whether a bomb is present. And, when you walk through the metal detector and it goes off, they just wave you to continue. Why bother with security at all?

I've only been to BA three times and, generally, I dress like a business traveler when I'm going through Customs. On those three occasions at EZE, they have waived me through with all my luggage without even bothering to scan it or ask me any questions. Is that common, or is it completely random?
    Random is my experience with a definite bias towards not giving a shit. Daddy Rulz posted a funny account not long ago of all the many things the screeners might be doing other than their assigned job. Funny and very true. On my last trip in to EZE, I arrived about 11:30pm and they put my luggage through the screener with nobody looking to see what the baggage might hold. Other times they have just waved me through. I read an account recently on a local expat blog where somebody brought in a well concealed, bubble wrapped tv. No problem.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I think that solves it -- either buy locally or bring in luggage. My intent was to make a gift of something that really has little value here, so I guess I'll try the luggage route.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I was also going to send down an iPhone. They're remarkably easy to hack these days -- even my most computer illiterate employee can manage it. I suspect that this is the sort of thing that would get flagged by Customs as well, even if sent via Fed Ex or DHL, correct?

Stan,

Send him to the "Computer Mall" (Galeria Jardin) on Florida with a lot of small computer shops that will put together exactly what he needs. Prices there are not so much higher than waht I would pay at home, and depending on his needs, there also is a lot of quite cheap stuff they would not even sell anymore in the U. S. Or Europe.

What I did a year ago is bring a mainboard, CPU and hard disk with preinstalled operating system and the software I need in my luggage, and bought the cheap stuff (case, power supply, DVD) in BA, and assembled the box myself. This is an option for a techie like me, certainly not for everybody.

Basically the only way to bring anything in to Argentina without a lot of hassle is in your luggage, legally up tp U$S 300,-. And I have never seen a foreigner been asked anything when bringing in stuff like laptops, cameras, cell phones, etc. The kind of stuff people usually carry on their travels.

El Alemán

Questions for those living in BA:

I have a friend in BA in serious need of a new computer. I own a business that has many extra computers that are several generations newer than his. Would it make sense to try to ship something like this via USABox? Or, am I just asking for trouble with Argentina Customs? Assuming they opened the package and saw that it contained a computer, how would they assess the value and what fee would they charge to release it?

Thanks,

Stan
    It would be a miracle if that got through customs. Someone else can chime in regarding the surcharge you would pay, but I think you would be assessed a tax of 50% of the determined value. No telling about a release fee. I know a monger currently in BA who has some laptops for sale, if that would work. I have no idea about the asking price.

Administrator

Venues: 398

I have a friend in BA in serious need of a new computer. I own a business that has many extra computers that are several generations newer than his. Would it make sense to try to ship something like this via USABox? Or, am I just asking for trouble with Argentina Customs? Assuming they opened the package and saw that it contained a computer, how would they assess the value and what fee would they charge to release it?

Thanks,

Stan
    Hi Stan,

We consider that idea as a method of getting donated computers to the comedores. On the surface, it made sense: Lots of guys upgrade to new computers every few years, so let's get them to ship their 3-4-5 year old unit down here to give to the kids. Unfortunately, Argentina Customs killed the plan by insisting that we pay 100% import duties on what they determined was the value of the used computer, which usually amounted to several hundred pesos per unit.

Apparently it was more important to them to collect these tariffs (which they undoubtedly understand funds their salaries) that it was to let a few units go by for, literally, charity.

Thanks,

Jackson

Ship Computer

Thanks,

Stan

Regular Mail

I sent a package to my Spanish teacher in B. A. from my home last July. After two months she said that she still had not received it. Finally, she received a notice from Customs, saying that this was the second notice and that she would need to pay 70p for it. But it was too late to pick it up, because the time limit had expired or something like that. I don't understand it?

I received the package at my home in February. Long after I hand carried another one to B. A. in September.

Argentines are very strange.

Anyone want a Snow Globe of San Francisco?

Venues: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Lately I've been getting next day delivery from them also.

Of course, that is, unless Argentina Customs decides that even though they have no idea what's in the package, that they want $60 ARS to clear it!

Thanks,

Jackson
    BTW - I've been in two different situations with DHL delivering something tome from the States. These two times, DHL held the shipment and told me that a $60 peso fee was required by customs to clear the packages. Both times I called to find what the hold was and the person I talked to just said "sorry, you have to pay the fee. Customs has just said it's due to clear the package" and that's basically all the information I could get.

Both times I asked to talk to a boss. I pushed the boss to explain what the deal was and he said the same thing the girl had said. However, after arguing a bit with him and telling him that I'm not going to pay for something unless I understand what I am paying for, he said "that's fine, we will waive the fee."

I found it interesting that DHL was willling to waive a Customs fee. I'm not sure if they are trying something crappy and make up a charge that doesn't exist, or if they actually paid the fee and then didn't charge me for it. However, both times I received my packages the next day with no extra fee, as promised by the boss.

This is not to be confused with true Customs issues, like the time I tried to have a $10 (US) power cord sent to me and Customs wanted to charge me $60 to clear it and I told them to go fuck themselves. It seems that ANYTHING electronic in nature will be held by Customs here and you have to go through some crappy tramites and actually go out to the airport Customs are to pick up the packe after you've paid customs duties, and so on.

Having said that, I've found DHL (both through USA Box and DHL themselves) to be much cheaper and efficient than FedEx from her to the States.

Posting Limitations