Thread: ATM's

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Thanks richard d. head, esq for sharing intel-the food and prices pulled this place off my lsit

Hey DH, what's up. Would you do some posting pn AP in the appropriate forums. You hold a doctorate in cost effective mongering! I learned quite a bit from you. if you have the time, help out a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eo Daman  [View Original Post]
    I went back to El Establo and talked to the Capitan & the owner. They said that this would not happen at their restaurant with a waiter who has been their 10 years. They gave me a lesson in how to spot the bad $100 peso bills and even gave me a highlighter like pen that turns dark on fakes. The owner exchanged one false bill for a real one as a goodwill gesture. They spent about 25 minutes with me. They said that for quite awhile there was a problem with retired people getting fake bills from ATM's when the withdrew their pension. Yesterday there was an article about fake bills getting through banks. Out of the $7500 in pesos I withdrew this week, I may be the guy who got extremely unlucky and ended up with two fakes out of millions that pass through ATM's. Also learned so differentiate bills produced in Argentina from the bills that they paid Brazil to produce.

So it is still a mystery, but now I am not convinced that it was the waiter. It is possible that I got two fakes that slipped through out of millions of bills placed into ATM's. They were exact replicas including the silver stripe, only the texture of the paper was smoother, and now I know that the watermark, when held up to the light needs to be clear.

I will continue to use Citibank ATM's, as I think this was an extremely rare occurance and I love the fact that the debit card alone gives me 24/7 access to my money.
    You are at least the third person I know who has been given trucho by El Establo in this exact fashion, and confronted them, and got the exact same bullshit explanation, for which you have now fallen for in the exact same manner. To review, El Establo has a couple of dishonest waiters who are related to the owners and have been doing this and getting away with it since at least 2003, when the first of these instances became known to me. So believe them if you like, but know you are not the first. Nor the second!

I do not think they do small transaction, but I do not know. My smallest transaction was $500. My friend exchanged a mix of $20's and $100's which is how I know the difference in rates.

Money Changer on Rodriguez Peņa

Thanks for the info Paladin. How do you define small bills? Does that include $10 bills?

Thanks, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin  [View Original Post]
    There is a money changer on Rodriguez Pena near the big market on the opposite side of the street, roughly between Quitana and Juncal, I think the name is Antiques and Exchange. The rate last week was 4. 8 for hundreds and 4. 7 for small bills. Good location and safe.

Paladin

My best recollection is that it is across from the big grocery market and produce vendor on Rodriguez Pena and it has a tinted window and a locked door. I believe it is midway between Juncal and Qintana. Sorry the best I can do. I do things by wrote. I just walk RP until I find the store front.

I will ask my friend if he has a better idea of the location.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paladin For This Post:

Where is this money exchanger?

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin  [View Original Post]
    There is a money changer on Rodriguez Pena near the big market on the opposite side of the street, roughly between Quitana and Juncal, I think the name is Antiques and Exchange. The rate last week was 4. 8 for hundreds and 4. 7 for small bills. Good location and safe.

Paladin
    Where is this money exchanger? Can you be a little more specific? Quitana and juncal are 5 blocks apart.

Thanks.

Good to hear from you Fred!

For you High Rollers or Newbies uncomfortable on one of your first trips, Fred is a little more money, but a safe and secure introduction to BA-His limo service specializes in airport runs and touring with a bi-lingual driver in a large safe car. For folks traveling in groups of two with lots of luggage or more than two-Fred becomes a cost effective alternative to a subcompact wherein no english is spoken and two people with two largew bags will have the carry-on's on your lap and zero leg room as a large bag is on the front passenger seat pushed all the way back. A " no brainer"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miami Bob For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob  [View Original Post]
    Haven't seen you post for a while-how it going?

All is relatively well
    Hi Miami Bob.

I'm relaxing after a very busy tourist season! Heading to the states THU APR 26 for a month. Need some downtime.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Paladin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paladin For This Post:

I don't see why anyone would use an atm at this point. Bring cash or wire money. With the need for dollars you could take a day trip to colonia and ATM dollars out. Come back and pay for the trip with the proceeds from the black market exchange rate. Yes you can get dollars put of an ATM in uruguay.

FRED-the sliverStar what's up guy!

Haven't seen you post for a while-how it going?

All is relatively well

E G this this include the faux citibank locations which used to payout-out 2000 peos+

Thanks very much!

I couldn't get more than $AR1000 out of any ATM in one withdrawal a few weeks ago and I think the fee was a bit under 18 pesos. That was using cards from two different US banks. Exchange rate was 4. 35 on 4/5.

4. 6-4. 8 was available from informal sources if you had cash.

What is the current stae of the famous citi bank ATM's max $ out / exchange rate

Are atm's dead and no longer usefull?

Max pesos out at one transaction? Charge per transaction? Exchange rates?

Any current info would be appreciated?

ATM's

I went back to El Establo and talked to the Capitan & the owner. They said that this would not happen at their restaurant with a waiter who has been their 10 years. They gave me a lesson in how to spot the bad $100 peso bills and even gave me a highlighter like pen that turns dark on fakes. The owner exchanged one false bill for a real one as a goodwill gesture. They spent about 25 minutes with me. They said that for quite awhile there was a problem with retired people getting fake bills from ATM's when the withdrew their pension. Yesterday there was an article about fake bills getting through banks. Out of the $7500 in pesos I withdrew this week, I may be the guy who got extremely unlucky and ended up with two fakes out of millions that pass through ATM's. Also learned so differentiate bills produced in Argentina from the bills that they paid Brazil to produce.

So it is still a mystery, but now I am not convinced that it was the waiter. It is possible that I got two fakes that slipped through out of millions of bills placed into ATM's. They were exact replicas including the silver stripe, only the texture of the paper was smoother, and now I know that the watermark, when held up to the light needs to be clear.

I will continue to use Citibank ATM's, as I think this was an extremely rare occurance and I love the fact that the debit card alone gives me 24/7 access to my money.

Posting Limitations