Thread: ATM's

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    I agree with Silverstar.

I withdrew upto 20000 us$ (85000 Ar pesos) in last 3 months from various citibank ATMs in BA and never got a fake 100 peso note, even once. I use different machines in different location.

So I am finding it impossible to believe your allegation against citibank.

Having said that, the waiters and cabdrivers of Ba are con artists and they somehow immediately sense that you are a stranger in BA and try to pull a fast one one you. You need to be alert all the time in BA. Do not let down your guard.

Newbies in BA be forewarned.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    I've withdrawn from Citibank ATM's all the time and never got a fake. I think chances are greater that the waiter pulled a switch on you. When paying with big bills, always confirm with the waiter that they are real, remember the last 3 digits and check yourself that the bills are good before paying. Key is feel the quality of the paper, and hold the bill up to the light and notice the watermark is a 3D Portriat not a 2D outline.

On my airport pickups, I usually show you a fake bill to know what you are up against. (I get the bills from customers that have been taken, and they leave them with me to show others)

Taxis are very famous for the switch move, be careful and don't give cab drivers big bills.

Cheers.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Transfers and more in English

Quote Originally Posted by Joe 23  [View Original Post]
    One possibility is that the waiter at El Establo switched the bills to falso.

Taxi drivers in BA sometimes uses this trick.

I'm not saying that the waiter is guilty, but just presenting a possiblity.

Anything can happen in this city.

Joe.
    I've withdrawn from Citibank ATM's all the time and never got a fake. I think chances are greater that the waiter pulled a switch on you. When paying with big bills, always confirm with the waiter that they are real, remember the last 3 digits and check yourself that the bills are good before paying. Key is feel the quality of the paper, and hold the bill up to the light and notice the watermark is a 3D Portriat not a 2D outline.

On my airport pickups, I usually show you a fake bill to know what you are up against. (I get the bills from customers that have been taken, and they leave them with me to show others)

Taxis are very famous for the switch move, be careful and don't give cab drivers big bills.

Cheers.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Transfers and more in English

When paying traxi drivers

Before handing over a $100 or a $50 to the driver, I try to make sure that I remember the last three digits of the note so that I can tell him immediately in case he switches and returns me a falso.

I tend to forget this when going home after some good bottles of wine, though.

So far I haven't yet had this kind of problem or incident with taxi drivers, but who knows? It can happen tomorrow or even tonight.

Joe

ATM Citi vs Waiter

That is exactly what Citibank said. The $100 peso notes came straight out of the ATM and the teller said that two people check the bills when they are loaded in. I tend to trust Citibank more than the waiter. At the end of the meal, the waiter asked me if I was a pilot. Maybe airline pilots stay nearby? Maybe wanted to know if I was going to be coming back? I was probably a little buzzed on Malbec & maybe he sensed this. The Captain didn't help at all. Typed up a note in Spanish that I am a travel writer & am reporting them to my fellow writers at Trip Advisor, Frommers & Fodors.

Delivering today.

Un gran leccion!

Question Could be....

One possibility is that the waiter at El Establo switched the bills to falso.

Taxi drivers in BA sometimes uses this trick.

I'm not saying that the waiter is guilty, but just presenting a possiblity.

Anything can happen in this city.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eo Daman  [View Original Post]
    My experience was pretty good until today. Today I withdrew $2, 500 pesos from the Citi ATM at Santa Fe 1148, about 5pm. (The ATM had been down for about an hour previous to this.) So I shove two of the 100 peso notes in my hobbying wallet along side a few other bills. At 11pm, I attempt to pay my bill at El Establo with the $200 pesos. The waiter informs me that the $100 peso notes are "falso."

Kind of disconcerting and embarassing. I just have enough to cover the dinner & tip. Bet it looked suspicious to them, but now I have to go back to Citi & deal with them.

Anyone else had this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Eo Daman  [View Original Post]
    My experience was pretty good until today. Today I withdrew $2, 500 pesos from the Citi ATM at Santa Fe 1148, about 5pm. (The ATM had been down for about an hour previous to this.) So I shove two of the 100 peso notes in my hobbying wallet along side a few other bills. At 11pm, I attempt to pay my bill at El Establo with the $200 pesos. The waiter informs me that the $100 peso notes are "falso."

Kind of disconcerting and embarassing. I just have enough to cover the dinner & tip. Bet it looked suspicious to them, but now I have to go back to Citi & deal with them.

It has never happened to me that I'm aware of, and I've been hauling $ out of Citi ATMs here for a long time. It is not unheard of however that somebody gets bogus bills from a local ATM. I've seen more than one tourist poster on expat blogs complain about it.

Citibank Falsos

Citibank

Required balance was recently lowered from $100k to $50K

I agree CITI is the way to go. If you are a good customer they will cancel any charges if you have over 100K.

3% Citi Fee

Greetings Mongers,

My experience with Citi was very good.

Withdrawals were around 2400p max,

But I usually got 2000p.

The 3% transaction fee was waived because.

I had a 6 digit large account with them.

So, be sure when you sign up, what is the minimum.

Balance necessary to avoid ATM fees.

Jackpot

Citibank

Citibank waives the 3% foreign transaction fee if you have funds in an account with them. Seems like there are citibanks around BA from my walks with WT69. Just got $2500 pesos from one last night at 410. Believe you could get more but did not look closely.

Nice to be able to get pesos 24/7. I use Citi in COL & Central Am as well.

Enjoying this city a lot!

EO

Mongers-

Since no ATM in the world (that I know of) can spit out more than 40 bills at a clip, and the highest denomination bill in circulation in Argentina is the 100 peso note, the most an ATM could possibly give in one transaction would be 4000 pesos.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

It says that you can make interbank transfers from a ATM. It does not mean that you can withdraw up to 10k from a ATM only transfer it to another bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Tim  [View Original Post]
    Saw this in the Herald today:

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...o-10000-pesos-

The way I read it, it would apply to all ATM's. Hopefully those limited ATM withdrawal limits are a thing of the past.
    Thats excellent news.

Guys, please confirm if this is working?

This aspect has been one of the most frustrating aspects of "Life in Ba" in the past.

10K limit starting today

Saw this in the Herald today:

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/art...o-10000-pesos-

The way I read it, it would apply to all ATM's. Hopefully those limited ATM withdrawal limits are a thing of the past.

Posting Limitations