Thread: Credit Cards

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Harders
    Mongers,

I noticed the other day that you can get a cash advance up to the limit of your Visa or Mastercard at the Banco Supervielle. The particular branch I was at was located on Uruguay between Santa Fe and Arenales. The desk to get the cash advance is in the basement.

Suerte,

Rock Harders
    I went here last week and had no problems getting a cash advance. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rock Harders, Hollander,

Thank you for this information.

SL

Mongers,

I noticed the other day that you can get a cash advance up to the limit of your Visa or Mastercard at the Banco Supervielle. The particular branch I was at was located on Uruguay between Santa Fe and Arenales. The desk to get the cash advance is in the basement.

Suerte,.

Rock Harders

There's a small bank on the corner where Calle charcas meets Plaza Guemes. I can't remember the name, but I got a cash advance on my Mastercard there after being refused everywhere else. I've been back since, and there's been no problem.

Doh, sorry about that.

I know you can do that with an AMEX card in town but I don't know a place for a MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    Have you tried the Citi ATM talked about in the ATM thread?

Alvear and Callao.
    Gato,

He specifically writes "not an ATM withdraw".

Quote Originally Posted by Slipknot
    Does anybody have any information on what bank (s) I can get a cash advance on my US MasterCard at. Not an ATM withdraw, but a cash advance from the teller. In Chile and Panama is was available at many banks, with a US 1,000.00 limit per day. Here I have not been able to find a bank that will do any kind of cash advance.

Thank you,

SL

Have you tried the Citi ATM talked about in the ATM thread?

Alvear and Callao

MasterCard cash advances

Does anybody have any information on what bank (s) I can get a cash advance on my US MasterCard at? Not an ATM withdraw, but a cash advance from the teller. In Chile and Panama is was available at many banks, with a US 1,000.00 limit per day. Here I have not been able to find a bank that will do any kind of cash advance.

Thank you,

SL

Thanks For The Update Sid

I asked about this about 2 weeks ago and other people chimed in that it was pretty safe. I actually asked if cash was better lol?

Jack

Venues: 8
    The only place I have troubles using my card with my TX driver's license is Easy. That is, in places where I would use a credit card here. I've used it at Jumbo, Disco, restaurants in and out of the city. Clerks usually take the license, ask me which number is the DNI (heh) and go on with it.

I did get in a bit of fight one time in Easy and got to use my TX license. I purchased over 1000 pesos worth of goods and Easy isn't like Jumbo - they won't break up the sale in two smaller ones (common invoices can't exceed 1000 pesos for some strange reason which I have yet to understand), so I had to register to get the other type of invoice (I don't know one from the other, so don't ask me what they're called). I didn't have my passport with me and argued that my card was a valid ID, proving who I was, and I guess they must ahve seen all that stuff I was buying and decided it was worth bending their policy.

Maybe I ought to argue more often with them, on the strength of Facundo's post. They have never again allowed me to use my license.

I wouldn't ever use my card in a caberet. I've heard stories from girls I know who've worked in a couple of different places. Stories of when it's slow, drunk foreigners getting thousands of dollars charged while they're half-passed out, general over-charging on every drink and outright fraud committed after the patron leaves his credit card info behind (having paid with it before he left)

It's not about the place, it's all about the specific individual handling the credit card.

The business usually has too much too lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    I get asked for ID at Coto every time. They have never accepted my USA driver's license, always insisting on seeing my passport. My guess is that this is probably because the cashiers have no familiarity with the driver's license.

Thanks,

Jackson
    Coto is one of the worst offenders of the law governing credit card use (La ley de tarjetas de credito) The 8 page law does not specifically state one must show a specific national document of identification. It just states that the user must present an instrument that identifies the characteristics of the holder of the credit card:

(c) Aquel que está autorizado por el titular para realizar operaciones con Tarjeta de Crédito, a quien el emisor le entrega un instrumento de idénticas características que al titular.

When I first got to BA I was able to use my european license, but some establishments wanted to see my passport. When I got my argentine drivers license most establishments accepted it as a form of identificaction. When I got my DNI and renewed my license the DNI number appeared on my license and it is accepted at all establishments as a form of national identification except at Cotto's.

With a copy of the law I decided to take Cotto on and after they rejected my license as identification I asked to see the manager. I showed him a copy of the law and told him I was ready to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Society. Lo and behold, now Cotto accepts my license, but I see that it hasn't changed it's policy of discriminating. As a not so famous member of this boars would say; ****suckers.

Not just in Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    I've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.
    I have used a CC at least twenty times at Black and never had any problem when reconciling the statement, ever! One time the tab was over $1,800 for a client outing (Stupid yes; but the return was amazing) and it posted to the dime. You can argue the pricing structure at Black all you want, but Daniel needs the business traveler to act the fool like we do and probably wouldn't risk the bad press. That doesn't mean rogue employees feel the same way, so YMMV.

I did get taken for $2,800.00 at the infamous Gold Club in Atlanta; the difference there was the feds went after them like they were the Taliban.

That was an interesting call my wife got from the US District Attoney's office.

I have never had a problem with a credit card here and I have used them at some really seedy joints.

The only club I use one at is Catto's as I have been friends with Panco, the owner, for many years. But even if I wasn't, the fact that the owner himself is the one handling your card makes it a little safer than if some employee or other was doing so.

The places I worry a little about are gas stations where the employee turnover is high.

Credit cards and identification at Cottos

At Cotos I have been able to use a photo copy of my passport coupled with my Florida driver's licence. I tell them that the driver's licence is my eeuu identification card. It has the same number of digits as the DIN. Cottos always has acepted this combination. I last did this in November, 2008. I have never purchased more than 200 pesos worth of stuff on credit card at Cottos. For a 5,000. Pesos purchase they may have a more demanding policy.

Posting Limitations