Thread: Credit Cards

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    I've been told that the bank fees on credit cards are high so I try to use cash to minimize the cost to the merchant when it is a small place. I've had cards cloned in both Uruguay and Brazil but not in Argentina.

Of course, cash has it's own risks. I've never lost a dollar on a cloned card as the bank covered it all but I lost $100 to a pickpocket once.

Responding to Jackjack1.

Some bogus charges showed up on my credit card after a trip to Cancun several years ago. But the credit card company ate the bad charges. I've had no problems here, but then I haven't used credit cards here very often.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjack1
    I got taken for over 2k in Mexico when I used a CC in a liquor store. Anyone had any bad experiences. Is cash better?

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    I've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.
    Thanks for the response.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjack1
    I got taken for over 2k in Mexico when I used a CC in a liquor store. Anyone had any bad experiences. Is cash better?

Thanks,

Jack
    I've never had a problem, but I don't use them much. At grocery and department stores from time to time. It goes without saying, but never, never at a boliche. Higher end restaurants shouldn't pose a problem.

Is credit card usage safe in Argentina?

Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    I use my credit cards at Coto because on Fridays they offer a 10% discount for purchases charged on a credit card. This practice typically carves 10% off my weekly grocery run, and has for example saved me 500 pesos when I recently purchased a flat screen TV and 400 pesos on a new A / C for my rental apartment.

Given that all electronic items sell for EXACTLY the same MSRP no matter where you shop, this being due to some convoluted Argentine thinking that price competition will hurt retail store employees, this strategy appears to be an end run around this limitation by the retail chains. I've noticed that Musimundo has recently adopted the same practice.

I get asked for ID at Coto every time. They have never accepted my USA driver's license, always insisting on seeing my passport. My guess is that this is probably because the cashiers have no familiarity with the driver's license.

Thanks,

Jackson
    They even refused a photocopy of my passport at Coto. They would only accept the real thing. I talked to the manager telling him that it is not safe for me to have my passport with me but he did't accept the zerox either.

In Disco they did.

El Greco

I admit I never go to the bigger chain supermarkets except maybe Carrefour now and then where they have never asked me for ID.

I repeat - I must look honest not like some of you chaps!

It sounds like the larger retail chains, which I rarely used, may require ID.

A benefit, albeit a small one, of having a DNI and permanent residence is that you can get a cedula which fits in your wallet just like a driver's license. It is accepted for anything; you can even travel to other Mercosur countries with just the cedula. It is valid ID for banks and signing legal documents. So you can leave your passport and DNI at home.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    I use my credit cards at Coto because on Fridays they offer a 10% discount for purchases charged on a credit card. This practice typically carves 10% off my weekly grocery run, and has for example saved me 500 pesos when I recently purchased a flat screen TV and 400 pesos on a new A / C for my rental apartment.

Given that all electronic items sell for EXACTLY the same MSRP no matter where you shop, this being due to some convoluted Argentine thinking that price competition will hurt retail store employees, this strategy appears to be an end run around this limitation by the retail chains. I've noticed that Musimundo has recently adopted the same practice.

I get asked for ID at Coto every time. They have never accepted my USA driver's license, always insisting on seeing my passport. My guess is that this is probably because the cashiers have no familiarity with the driver's license.

Thanks,

Jackson

About the only place I ever use a credit card is Carrefour or Disco and they always ask me (and everyone else) for ID. I use my US driver's license and they have no problem with that. Coincidentally it has the same number of digits as a DNI.

I use a card very much. (petrol for my car, supermarkets or even at clubs like Cattos where I know the owner) and I have never been asked for an ID. Maybe I look honest! LOL

One of the big department stores (Fabella?) Asked me for my original passport about 2 years ago when I wanted to use my CC. I told them no one in their right mind carries the original and they would not accept my copy as ID.

Otherwise I have never been asked for other ID, but I do not use the card much down here. Maybe 3 -4 times a year.
    Last edited by Thomaso276; 05-25-08 at 12:47. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Saenz
    For newbies like me who don't know it yet an identification card is required everytime you use your credit card at any business establishment in Buenos Aires. Initially I was taken by surprise when they asked me for an ID when I paid my purchases because they don't do this in sex prison. However, they explained it to me that this is merely for my protection as they need to be certain that I am the real card holder.
    Though it may have happened, I don't remember ever being asked for ID in Argentina when using a credit card. And I used it a lot.

In sex prison, however, they often require ID when using a credit card at convenience stores.

Something that seems to have changed in BsAs is the verification of cash bills. In the old days (say 5 years ago) it was fairly common for waiters/taxistas/vendors to hold the bills up in the light before accepting. I didn't experience that during my last visit in April.

I miss that Patacon-Lecop era.

Identification required

For newbies like me who don't know it yet an identification card is required everytime you use your credit card at any business establishment in Buenos Aires. Initially I was taken by surprise when they asked me for an ID when I paid my purchases because they don't do this in sex prison. However, they explained it to me that this is merely for my protection as they need to be certain that I am the real card holder.
    Last edited by Diego Saenz; 05-23-08 at 13:07. Reason: typo

Capital One Visa

Capital One doesn't charge a foreign exchange rate. Matter of fact if I understand it correctly they actually pay the 1% Visa charges so that there are NO extra fees for purchase or cash advance. Of course if you do a cash advance they charge you interest from day one and it might be at a higher interest rate then for purchases.

I confirmed this on my recent trip outside of the US.

Posting Limitations