Thread: Vonage-Skype-VOIP phone services

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Not having a credit card can make things quite painful. I'd buy some sort of debit card that you could fund stuff like this with. I've used the Skype unlimited service for a couple of months, earlier this year, and had no problems with billing or the service.

Customer Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Lcolombiano
    F. I decided to purchase it, I'm currently with out a credit card. FUCK SKYPE!
    The service is well worth it, but Skype (e-bay) have no customer skills. If you can, one of the best ways to get around this is to get a US PayPal account and pay that way, but try and have a US address. Gets around all the issues. It is also the cheapest service you can get for worldwide, Magic Jack is best for just US calls.

Suerte!

Polvo

Fuck Skype!

FOA, Hello guys this is my 1st post, I moved 4 months ago to BSAS. I wanted to keep in touch w my family overseas, I saw this unlimited country SKYPE promotion for landlane phones. I decided to purchase it, I'm currently with out a credit card so I decided to use bank transfer option, I went down to "Microcentro", pay up in BBVA and went back home, I saw that disclamation statement from SKYPE, that when back transferring it could take up to 7 days, so I sit on wait. Long story short. 2 months since I did my payment, NO unlimited country SKYPE promotion for me, many communications between them and me, and I know it's only 5 bucks, but I noticed that I'm not the only one who has been ripped off. And they also decided to ignore all my questions and communications.

FUCK SKYPE!

Retired Member

I've Got One Of These And It Works

I bought one of these Majic Jacks for ths trip and it works great.

All you need is a lap top, high speed internet and a Telephone.

http://www.magicjack.com/1/index.asp

Exon

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan
    As far as reception goes. I have about a 90% success rate. The phone always works, but I occasionally get a dropped call or some static. But for $ 13 bucks a month for unlimited international. I can't find a better, cheaper, more reliable option. Magic Jack probably has some potential, but it's not a leap forward in technology and I am guessing customer support doesn't exist so it won't work for me.
    Stupid question number 1 You are living in BsAs?

Stupid question number 2 Where did you buy the phone?

Stupid question number 3 You have voice mail and a US Number?

I have been using Skype WiFi phones for the past few months and they work great.

All you need is a wifi network and a wifi phone (which looks like a small cell phone) and you are good to go. I can make calls from just about anywhere, home, office, bars, restaurants etc.

The phones cost around $ 140 - $ 200 USD and the Skype service costs $ 12.99 a month (unlimited long distance to over 40 countries including Buenos Aires Argentina) You don't need a funky head set and you don't need a computer. Fuck being wired.

As far as reception goes. I have about a 90% success rate. The phone always works, but I occasionally get a dropped call or some static. But for $ 13 bucks a month for unlimited international. I can't find a better, cheaper, more reliable option. Magic Jack probably has some potential, but it's not a leap forward in technology and I am guessing customer support doesn't exist so it won't work for me.

Regards,

BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog
    This is a new device that is a Skype / Vonage killer. For about 40 bucks you get one year unlimited service and the USB device.

I've used this last month on several calls from Europe to US clarity is great and connection is immediate.

Good luck. I have Vonage in my apartment in BA and will replace with MJ.
    They advertise the MagicJack working from the USA to call out but is anyone using it here to call the US? Does it give you a number so that people can call you?

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Rick
    Saludos.

I can report a significant quality degradation in Skype quality over the last 3 weeks -both video and speech dropped from 8-10 (scale of 1-10) quality to 4-6 including several dropped calls. It is notably difficult to talk to customer support reps in Africa and India for some reason. Many times, the problem calls can be improved by hanging up and calling again. This problem has been observed on calls to landline and cell service phones.

Until recently, I would have had no problem recommending Skype to someone needing to call clients around the world every day. I pay about 36 bucks per quarter for unlimited worldwide plus a Miami Beach 305 area phone number.

Suerte
    I still have had very few Skype problems. I have a 305 number as well. Today, I downloaded an updated Skype program. Too early to tell if there is any difference.

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Rick
    Saludos.

I can report a significant quality degradation in Skype quality over the last 3 weeks -both video and speech dropped from 8-10 (scale of 1-10) quality to 4-6 including several dropped calls. It is notably difficult to talk to customer support reps in Africa and India for some reason. Many times, the problem calls can be improved by hanging up and calling again. This problem has been observed on calls to landline and cell service phones.

Until recently, I would have had no problem recommending Skype to someone needing to call clients around the world every day. I pay about 36 bucks per quarter for unlimited worldwide plus a Miami Beach 305 area phone number.

Suerte
    Try using "Majic Jack" its $20 bucks a year and even I can figure out how to use it.

Exon

Skype quality

Saludos.

Suerte

OK, I can't sleep tonight so I called Vonage. Here is what I was told. The Unlimited Plan has a monthly fee of $24.99, plus a $9.99 one time fee for the Vonage adapter. You'll get unlimited calls to any US numbers. $0.01 per minute to BsAs only applies to landlines. BsAs cell phones will cost $0.23 per minute.

Even with their Unlimited Mexico and Latin America Plan with $39.99 monthly fee, only landlines in BsAs are free. Cell phone will still cost $0.21 per minute.

You can get an adapter outside the country, but it will probably cost around $80 USD and another $25 activation fee. Activation fee is waived if ordering the service from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    I never used Vonage so I don't know that much about it. What I do know it is not the phone that matters, Vonage uses regular phones. The difference is it connects to a "Vonage Box" and monthly subscription to Vonage service is required. I'm not even sure if Vonage subscription is available from BsAs.

I do use Skype. Making Skype calls to BsAs landline and US costs 2.4 cents (USD) per minutes, 19.8 cents to BsAs cell phones, no charge to US toll free numbers. The rates are the same no matter where you are calling from.
    I went to Vonage website and saw that they are quoting a rate of 1 c / minute for all calls to BA. I wonder how to avail such rates as I am going bankrupt trying to call to BA cellphones.

I never used Vonage so I don't know that much about it. What I do know it is not the phone that matters, Vonage uses regular phones. The difference is it connects to a "Vonage Box" and monthly subscription to Vonage service is required. I'm not even sure if Vonage subscription is available from BsAs.

I do use Skype. Making Skype calls to BsAs landline and US costs 2.4 cents (USD) per minutes, 19.8 cents to BsAs cell phones, no charge to US toll free numbers. The rates are the same no matter where you are calling from.

I think that you are talking about Vonage. You can buy practically anything electronic at the "Galleria Jardin" on Florida Ave. I don't recall the address but I think that a search will find it easily.

If you travel with a laptop you might not need a phone. With a mic and a headset you can make telephone calls from your laptop. (Maybe you can use your laptop's mic and speakers but I don't as I worry about feedback. Mics and headsets are cheap at "jardin".

Yahoo and Skype both offer such services. Maybe even Vonage does. Yahoo and Skype are both dirt cheap. (The Yahoo service is part of Yahoo Messenger. I've used Yahoo to call the US. Sometimes quality was great, sometimes lousy. In my situation I was sharing an Internet connection. If you have your own Internet connection I'd think you'd have consistently good quality. I'm not sure if it's even possible to call BA but I'd guess so. Worth looking into anyway. You can even get a phone number and receive calls. Your laptop would have to be turned on of course, but I think that the services come with or offer voicemail.

Bob

Vontage telephone ; saving money on local calls.

Dear friends,

I wanted advise on where I can buy Vonage phone in BA.

I am looking for alternatives such as a vonage phone. My cell phone is prepaid and its almost like 30-40 ARS peso expenditure every day on it adding to my overall expenditure.

Any advise on how to save money on local calls would be highly advantageous to me.

Thanks.

Posting Limitations